Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-09-2015, 10:55 AM   #15
My motorhome no, my wife yes.

abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2015, 11:07 AM   #16
I can't believe they'd want to borrow something that big and expensive. I don't borrow even small things (like a pressure washer, vacuum cleaner, etc.) as I'd feel so responsible to replace or repair if something broke. Chances are it was going to break anyway and would've broken no matter who was using it. It just happened to break when I had it, so I'd get the blame. No thanks. That's just plain dumb for them to even consider it.

Gene, Gayle, & Oliver
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV
G.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:14 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wife yes (But she is very expensive) MH and Harley....not a chance!
Brian & Nicola
2013 Discovery 40E "DISCO"
TOAD 2014 Wrangler
MiG & Xeena(German Shepards)
brian-nicola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:21 AM   #18

...to casual friends that ask to borrow/rent my motorhome:

"Sure, glad to help you out. Since things can break at any given time when using a motorhome, give me $10,000 cash that I can use to fix whatever breaks, and you'll get the rest back if there's anything left over. Let me know when you want it."

doubt we'd hear from them again.
Rick and Sandy
2003 American Eagle, 46K miles
...from Sept 2015
bamaboy473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:29 AM   #19
I would also respectfuly decline to loan my RV.

I once had a buddy who found a deal he couldn't pass up on a gently used '95 Holiday Rambler Navigator down in Tucson Az and didn't have the money to buy it, so he asked if he could borrow $48,000 from me to buy it. He was like a brother to me, so I cleaned out my savings for him and he flew down and bought it. It was a beautiful unit and upon his return said that we could borrow it anytime we wanted. But knowing I would not ever lend my RV we said no thats ok but thanks for the offer. Some things you just don't lend out is my feeling on this and my RV is one of them...money? well, maybe not anymore, it took over 6yrs interest free to get it all back and usually had to ask for some when I was broke, in between him buying new Dodge Longhorn 1 ton, new Harley, new chevy pick up because he didn't want to put miles on the Dodge, pontoon boat, jet ski etc...you get the picture. So in the end I was the fool for being kind and generous.
Big Lesson Learned, as tough as it may be, just don't lend anything period.

Cheers Rick T.
2008 Titanium 30E35TS by Glendale
2005 Ram 3500 4x2 DRW 5.9 Cummins, Auto
Boliy Pro3600SIE Inverter generator
wowlites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:32 AM   #20
Fleetwood Owners Club
I would let them take it , no problem, all I need first is a 100,000 dollar NON REFUNDABLE security deposit, BEFORE you leave, cash, no credit, no chargecards!!!!. And upon return I'll inspect it, any damage it will be extra.
The last time I loaned a sawsall, came back, oh yea it stopped working. I never borrow anything, If I need something I just go buy it,sometimes never use it again., I can't imagine asking to borrow a motorhome....

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:33 AM   #21
I would try this as my reply:

Sure, but I need a $2500 deposit for anything that breaks or blows, refundable, minus any expense.

$350 a day with a minimum four day charge

A full tank of fuel upon return

I will be your driver and get to sleep in the main quarters

Also, please don't forget to tip your driver at journey's end...

I would actually do this.
1999 HR Endeavor 37WDS
Handicapped Lift Equiped
Bad Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #22
Ford Super Duty Owner
A neighbor came over about five years ago. His mother and dad were on vacation, His mother had collapsed and was hospitalized. They were in Indiana. The Doctor said she could come home, but could not come by car. They called the ambulance companies. They all wanted over $5,000.00 for the trip. They asked about renting a Van. The Dr. said no she must be in a bed for the trip. They asked about a motorhome. The doctor said that would be OK. He asked to borrow my motorhome. After getting my heart started again, I told him I never loaned my motorhome, not even to my own children. I said I would drive them up there and bring mom and dad home if he would pay for the gas. Of course he jumped at that. I drove up the next day, spent the night in the hospital parking lot and we returned the next day. I did not have to loan my motorhome but still got the good feeling of helping a neighbor.
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:26 PM   #23

^^^ good story!
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 (Melody), Folkstone
2013 Jeep Rubicon, Ready Brute Elite & Currie Ent Baseplate
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:57 PM   #24
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
I have a wild nephew who is quite a partier. He called me one weekend and asked if he could borrow my two year old Monaco Diplomat so he could take six of his buddies up in the snow in Mammoth California and go skiing.

So let's think about that for a moment. He's going to take a 36'DP, in the snow, while his friends party in the back of my motor home for three days. It took me two seconds to ask if he had been smoking crack cocaine!

Then I thought about it for a minute and said, ask your aunt (my sister has a 34' DP). He did, she had the same response and I got a good laugh.

If someone asked to stay at my house for a few days while I was gone, I would be fine with that, but there is just too many things you need to know about a motor home to just borrow it. That why the rentals are smaller and have no awnings or hitches.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:16 PM   #25
We don't have a MH, but do have an almost new 5er. Our SIL (yes, he is the one with the brass ones) has strongly hinted since we had our last one that it would be nice if I would let them use it some weekend. He didn't want to pull it, just have us haul it to the CG, hook it up then leave. I can just see it now - him inviting 30-40 of his closest friends for a party, and I've met some of them and know what I would have left of our 5er. Yes, he is the father of three of the best grandchildren ever, but there is the fact that he is a professional, in his late 40's, but thinks and acts like he is still 21 after 2-3 adult beverages. I easily understood his hint and he got THE WORD - N*W (and most of you know what that translates to..........) The OP - well I surely hope that his kinda friends are gently informed that that six figure MH is not available to be loaned.
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:23 PM   #26
As had already been said 'sure' as long as you have the $100,000 deposit of which $25,000 is non refundable. If these conditions can not be met then 'do not waste my time'!
2009 38' Diplomat
CSM- retired, wife as co-pilot
Reka & Ali providing security (our 2 labs)
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:30 PM   #27

Oh, Absolutley. Give me a few minutes to get the bar stocked and the beer fridge loaded. I'm sure you'll need the toad so I'll get that hooked up right away and make sure everything is fueled up and ready to go.

THEN, when you wake up, I'll push you over the cliff and as you're falling you will hear me say "Not in your lifetime pal" before you hit the ground.
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:46 PM   #28
You want to borrow my what????

Not my class A bit I did loan my previous 40 foot 5'er out twice..once to my dad, who'd I'd do it for all over again, but once to my BIL...that there is another story. that trip resulted in a whole lot of damage, not intentional but his kids wrecked a couple things. love my nephews but never again. as I said though, my dad could take it anytime, damage or not, only person I'd lend it to.

oddly enough I am not sure I could let DW take it for a weekend on her own even if I drove it for her...hahahaha

OktsCamp is offline   Reply With Quote