Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2015, 10:55 PM   #57

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by soneil422 View Post
I understand the fact that our motor home is the 2nd most expensive thing most of us own.
Not in our case. The MH cost far more and there's no way it gets loaned out. Even if I wanted to (and I don't) my insurance only covers me as a driver, not even the DW.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2015, 11:20 PM   #58

It's almost like "Can I borrow your wife for a few weeks?" [/QUOTE]

Borrow the wife for a few weeks... OK. That one I could deal with. But my MH!!!! Hell no!!!!!!!!

We had (fortunately HAD) a neighbor who kind of sort of did the same thing "We're thinking about renting a MH similar to yours. Boy they're expensive and we can barely afford to do this. But we all need to get away. I don't mind pay for it and I'll take really good care of it." Then he'd stand there smiling at me. Like maybe I'd take the hint and just give ours to him.

Each time he'd mention it to me (over several weeks) I simply respond with something like "Yep. These things are expensive to buy, maintain and operate goin' down the road. Let us know how it all worked out."

Weeks late when they returned from their "rent an RV" trip he told me about having to be towed out of a ditch, being stuck in sand at the beach and general dissatisfaction with all the problems he had. I'm sure glad it was someone else couch and not ours.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:36 PM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
I can not believe someone would actually ask this. I do not think there needs to be any excuses just a big no-way!

I would be curious to know what else these folks have asked to borrow from other friends and family!!!!!
Old 06-11-2015, 08:16 AM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
We discussed this when we got our first camper many years ago. Our children were always told that the answer was no when they were at home. They actually had their friends ask them (our girls) for their parents if we would rent it!
Our answer is not only NO, but H@!! NO.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:20 AM   #61

Recommend cruise America
Old 06-11-2015, 08:35 AM   #62

We only have about 11k invested in our class C. Obviously I also have a lot of time invested as well. We have loaned our class C and our boat (1988 I bought new) to a pretty close friend. They had a great time and I feel it was worth it.

When I retire and get a Class A DP I have no intention on loaning. I probably would park it and let my kids/grandkids use it though.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:35 AM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
No...

If we allowed it, I don't think I would sleep a wink until it was safely home. In my circumstance, that would become a medical issue. \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:00 AM   #64

Smile We had a good time until the thingy fell off

Hey thanks for the use of your motor home, you know the toilet thingy, well it fell off so we decided to just let you dump the tanks since you have more experience doing that and sorry we were in a hurry to get it back to you and did not have time to fill the fuel tanks. , but we had a good time until the toilet got over full after that thingy fell off. .
Let us know when you have it fixed , we would love to use it again next time.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:30 AM   #65

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo View Post
Hey thanks for the use of your motor home, you know the toilet thingy, well it fell off so we decided to just let you dump the tanks since you have more experience doing that and sorry we were in a hurry to get it back to you and did not have time to fill the fuel tanks. , but we had a good time until the toilet got over full after that thingy fell off. .

Let us know when you have it fixed , we would love to use it again next time.

And sorry for the rear end damage. You know these things are hard to back up! But I'm sure the duct tape will hold everything in place. And I think it improves the graphics!😘

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:54 AM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Well if you dont ask the answer is No. If you as there may be a chance you will get a positive reponse.

We were often told do not lend anyone money that you can not afford if you dont get it back. That would apply to MH as well.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:37 AM   #67

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I lived in Nashville, it was common knowledge to NEVER let a country music "star" owe you money or borrow anything from you.

Does same thing apply here? Yes, I think it does, from what the OP said.

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Old 06-12-2015, 07:23 AM   #68

It really depends on who is asking to me. Family? Maybe. in laws? Not some of them. There have to be qualifications:
-Have they any experience with driving large vehicles?
-Do they have mechanical aptitude and understanding? IE common sense..
-Are they honest and responsible people?
-Do they have the wherewithall to fix what they break?
-What does there stuff look like? Do they take care of it?
Old 06-12-2015, 10:18 AM   #69

This one kind of hits close to (motor)home. Bear in mind I don't even have my RV yet, it's being built. We live in North Carolina. My mother-in-law lives in Canada. She has made noises about wanting to snowbird near us over the winter but has always backed out because it's "too expensive" to live in a place she would think about staying (e.g. fancy, with a lake view, etc) even though we've offered to cover most of it. Bygones. (As an important side note, it is a strained relationship between DW and MIL.)

As we've documented our new plans on social media she's seemed inordinately excited about it. You know where this is going. We finally got down to brass tacks when, during a recent phone conversation, she said "it looks like you've figured out a way for me to visit over the winter!"

She thought we were parking it in our driveway, so she'd be right there. Ignoring the fact that it's literally impossible, we're storing it in a covered storage lot. Well then, we can instead put it at a nice RV resort. Probably on a lake, of course. That way it can sit outside all winter. Oh, and of course she'll be bringing her dog with her! Can't leave the sweetie at home. You know, the one that pisses all over the place in her house and scratches through the door and barks constantly when she's not there.

It may make me a bad person -- it's only money, right? -- but I can't do it. I don't think it'd be very pleasant after 4 months of full-time use with a dog. I'd consider it without the dog. And, admittedly, I'm considering it with the dog because I'm not a complete turd. But boy is this not what I had in mind :(.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:34 AM   #70

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My advice (Not worth much): Since there's already s strained relationship between your DW & MIL, you be the "bad cop" & tell her NO. You'll pay her a visit next summer after you & DW have some trips in your new motorhome that have been planned for years. 👮

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan