Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2015, 07:27 AM   #85

Monaco Owners Club
I have two friends that I'd not hesitate to loan our motorhome to if they ask, however I know they never will. You see, they have their own motor homes and I know how they drive and take care of their things. To anyone else it would be, "YOU WANT TO BORROW MY WHAT!".

super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2015, 08:47 AM   #86

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WV Bum View Post
Can't fix stupid.
Sounds more like self-absorbed and unconscious. You can tell them but they only hear what they want to hear.

Mageksl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:47 AM   #87

Angry Don't ask, just go rent one.

people just don't understand it is more than a personal item they are asking to borrow .
There is a lot of liability involved. They just look at what they will be saving and the " fun " they want to have at your expense. They really don't have anything to loose except a friend. So if they ask , they really don't care about your friendship in the first place.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:55 PM   #88

What is weather forecast in Hell right now? . . . .nope, not freezing yet!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:35 AM   #89

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdForged View Post
This one kind of hits close to (motor)home. Bear in mind I don't even have my RV yet, it's being built. We live in North Carolina. My mother-in-law lives in Canada. She has made noises about wanting to snowbird near us over the winter but has always backed out because it's "too expensive" to live in a place she would think about staying (e.g. fancy, with a lake view, etc) even though we've offered to cover most of it. Bygones. (As an important side note, it is a strained relationship between DW and MIL.)

As we've documented our new plans on social media she's seemed inordinately excited about it. You know where this is going. We finally got down to brass tacks when, during a recent phone conversation, she said "it looks like you've figured out a way for me to visit over the winter!"

She thought we were parking it in our driveway, so she'd be right there. Ignoring the fact that it's literally impossible, we're storing it in a covered storage lot. Well then, we can instead put it at a nice RV resort. Probably on a lake, of course. That way it can sit outside all winter. Oh, and of course she'll be bringing her dog with her! Can't leave the sweetie at home. You know, the one that pisses all over the place in her house and scratches through the door and barks constantly when she's not there.

It may make me a bad person -- it's only money, right? -- but I can't do it. I don't think it'd be very pleasant after 4 months of full-time use with a dog. I'd consider it without the dog. And, admittedly, I'm considering it with the dog because I'm not a complete turd. But boy is this not what I had in mind :(.
What a great thread! Of course the OP wasn't even close to the people asking so they were only posting for comedic value, but in your case, my response would be immediate without a split second of hesitation (or at least the second I stopped laughing out loud!). A strained relationship and an un-mannered, non house broken dog! Are you seriously deliberating on this?

Send her to the website where she can order one like yours to have down there. Have some defibrillation paddles handy once she sees the cost involved. Then you can tell her about the added costs of insuring, sales tax (if applicable), registration, extended warranty costs, find the RVIA info on depreciation costs, and add that all up to a daily/monthly cost of ownership.

You know anyone like her knowing the already strained relations who would ask something of this magnitude is not going to give a rats behind on the condition they leave your new MH in when they're done with it. And she's used to the smell of dog whiz and other odors.

I guess that would be one benefit of full-timing is that people wouldn't be thinking they could borrow it so easily as your only residence.

I co-owned a trailer with a good friend for years. My former patrol partner from my LEO days asked to borrow it to impress a woman he was trying to court. He took it from my friends driveway and we all surveyed it before it left. Cam back with damage to tail light, back end and a slashed but still inflated tire. He said he hadn't done that damage and didn't offer to fix it. My co-owner friend and I were flabbergast... I had to pay to fix it all and weeks later we learned he had let this woman's neighbor borrow it and the damage probably occurred then. Once you loan something out, it's out of your control, and everyone's sense of what's normal and "ok" varies. It nearly cost me a 30 year friendship from a fraternal "police brother". The response after the damage was not what I would have expected, but in the long run I wished I had said no and sent him to a rental place. We've mended fence somewhat, but our relationship will never again be what it was.

Something to think about... Same reason I didn't hire my contractor BIL to build our previous home. The fallout if things went bad would have wreaked more havoc on the family than the initial answer telling him he didn't get the bid.

Good luck in whatever you decide. I think the OP had the right answer and was just sharing to illustrate the sheer sillyness of the request they got.
Mainuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:58 AM   #90

We had a new 98 Pace Arrow Vision with about 3000 miles on it when we loaned it to our son who took his wife and daughter to Key West from WI. In AL he hit a dog crossing the road. No problem, as that is what insurance is for. Next trip to FL and across to AZ, we traded for 39' Bounder diesel. Our son used that one too. Traded the Bounder for an 03 40' Phaeton. He took that one to the north woods on a trip the day after I took delivery of it. We hadn't slept in it yet. He backed into a couple of lawn chairs and scratched the rear cap. No big deal, as it was easily repaired. I wouldn't hesitate to let him use our current coach, but he now has a 2015 45' Mountain Aire, so no need.

I understand the attachment people get for their motor homes, but in reality, it's just another "Thing" that isn't capable of affection. I don't think I would loan ours out to a non-family person without knowing a lot about them and their abilities, but do welcome different people to live it while visiting us or neighbors. It's like having a guest house. I save my love and affection for people and pets that can love me back.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:30 AM   #91

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainuh View Post
What a great thread! Of course the OP wasn't even close to the people asking so they were only posting for comedic value, but in your case, my response would be immediate without a split second of hesitation (or at least the second I stopped laughing out loud!). A strained relationship and an un-mannered, non house broken dog! Are you seriously deliberating on this?

Send her to the website where she can order one like yours to have down there. Have some defibrillation paddles handy once she sees the cost involved. Then you can tell her about the added costs of insuring, sales tax (if applicable), registration, extended warranty costs, find the RVIA info on depreciation costs, and add that all up to a daily/monthly cost of ownership.

You know anyone like her knowing the already strained relations who would ask something of this magnitude is not going to give a rats behind on the condition they leave your new MH in when they're done with it. And she's used to the smell of dog whiz and other odors.

I guess that would be one benefit of full-timing is that people wouldn't be thinking they could borrow it so easily as your only residence.

I co-owned a trailer with a good friend for years. My former patrol partner from my LEO days asked to borrow it to impress a woman he was trying to court. He took it from my friends driveway and we all surveyed it before it left. Cam back with damage to tail light, back end and a slashed but still inflated tire. He said he hadn't done that damage and didn't offer to fix it. My co-owner friend and I were flabbergast... I had to pay to fix it all and weeks later we learned he had let this woman's neighbor borrow it and the damage probably occurred then. Once you loan something out, it's out of your control, and everyone's sense of what's normal and "ok" varies. It nearly cost me a 30 year friendship from a fraternal "police brother". The response after the damage was not what I would have expected, but in the long run I wished I had said no and sent him to a rental place. We've mended fence somewhat, but our relationship will never again be what it was.

Something to think about... Same reason I didn't hire my contractor BIL to build our previous home. The fallout if things went bad would have wreaked more havoc on the family than the initial answer telling him he didn't get the bid.

Good luck in whatever you decide. I think the OP had the right answer and was just sharing to illustrate the sheer sillyness of the request they got.
Our dealership quit renting motorhomes for the same reason. We always wrote down on the contract every scratch, dent, and imperfection on the rental unit. As service manager it was my job to check them out and I always asked them to go over the unit and add any thing they found wrong and add it to the list. One day I heard a bunch of shouting outside the garage. I went out there and found a salesman and a customer in a heated discussion. (putting it mildly) I looked at the rental unit. The side of the motorhome was bashed in at the top. It was a spot about 6 feet long. The customer was claiming it was that way when she picked it up. She was demanding her deposit back. I asked her why she did not put the damage on the contract when she picked it up. She started cussing me and said we were liars and crooks. I guess she thought if she raised enough hell we would back down. We did not back down, but we stopped renting motorhomes. (this was not the only time this happened.)
Old 06-26-2015, 09:03 AM   #92

Wink funny to see...

I would never loan my Motor home out, you could lose a friend, have liability and insurance issues, and on and on , but when I see a rental Motor Home going down the road, with all the stickers and phone numbers on the side I always laugh and say to my wife, there goes another BOZO.... With all the junk they put on them they look like a clown bus.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:38 AM   #93

Loaning mine to the parents next month and I am thrilled at the opportunity. My little brother and his wife sure (he would respect can care for things to the point of excess). My older brother ummm no he wrecks his own stuff. Other than that the list might be 2 and I owe them both big for driving me 800 miles home after a severe bike crash. And both have enough class to only ask if the need was supreme.

Casual friend would stun me into laughing in their face.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:55 PM   #94

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdForged View Post
This one kind of hits close to (motor)home. Bear in mind I don't even have my RV yet, it's being built. We live in North Carolina. My mother-in-law lives in Canada. She has made noises about wanting to snowbird near us over the winter but has always backed out because it's "too expensive" to live in a place she would think about staying (e.g. fancy, with a lake view, etc) even though we've offered to cover most of it. Bygones. (As an important side note, it is a strained relationship between DW and MIL.)

As we've documented our new plans on social media she's seemed inordinately excited about it. You know where this is going. We finally got down to brass tacks when, during a recent phone conversation, she said "it looks like you've figured out a way for me to visit over the winter!"

She thought we were parking it in our driveway, so she'd be right there. Ignoring the fact that it's literally impossible, we're storing it in a covered storage lot. Well then, we can instead put it at a nice RV resort. Probably on a lake, of course. That way it can sit outside all winter. Oh, and of course she'll be bringing her dog with her! Can't leave the sweetie at home. You know, the one that pisses all over the place in her house and scratches through the door and barks constantly when she's not there.

It may make me a bad person -- it's only money, right? -- but I can't do it. I don't think it'd be very pleasant after 4 months of full-time use with a dog. I'd consider it without the dog. And, admittedly, I'm considering it with the dog because I'm not a complete turd. But boy is this not what I had in mind :(.
coldfordged,
We are wondering if you got your new Motorhome and how you made out with your Mother in Laws visit this winter?

We all felt bad for your situation.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:08 PM   #95

Monaco Owners Club
I have a canned answer -- "You wanna borrow my airplane too? Think of all the money you'll save by flying your own stupid self around. My motorhome is the same. Just because you can drive a crappy little econobox doesn't mean you can drive a very large, very heavy, very fragile and very expensive motorhome. Like my airplane, you'll just ruin my machine and/or kill yourself and God knows how many others. You want to use one??? Go buy your own. L8r......."
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:41 PM   #96

My daughter or my son can borrow either one of my Motor homes, or my 2014 RAM 3500 and Lance 1050S truck camper.

My daughter has a CDL (drives buses) and my son was taught to drive everything I own from a very early age. My son drove Hemits when in the
Army.

Of course, I only have $150,000 invested in those items and all are insured.

Now if the DP was more than a recreational vehicle, I might reconsider.

I have repaired an item or two after loaning my things to my family members and friends. Even loaned my ski boat multiple times when it was new.

I guess I am just one of those people that my "things" aren't as important as others. But someone that has NEVER driven a boat or a Motor Home. NO!
Old 03-28-2016, 07:29 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
...I understand the attachment people get for their motor homes, but in reality, it's just another "Thing" that isn't capable of affection...
Best opinion so far.

I have lent my new car to friends all the time. It's just a thing and thats what insurance is for but the thought of lending out my new motorhome to friends squicks me out for some reason.

I don't know why.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:32 PM   #98

I was asked that once and I politely declined by telling him that it took me 2 years to break everything and fix it at least once and I don't want to go down that road again. Sadly it was the truth.

D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote