Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2015, 09:43 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You want to borrow my what????

Friends of ours (not real close), called my wife and told her that they (and there family) had to go to a funeral about 600 miles away. She asked if they could use our motorhome to go. She said they had experience driving tractor-trailers and assured my wife that they would be fine driving our MH.

My wife was floored. We are very meticulous about how we keep our unit (as I am sure everyone is) and would not even lend our MH to our own grown Kids. Although they realize how personal it is and would never even think of asking.

Apparently, people who donít have motorhomes havenít the foggiest clue as to how personal a Motorhome is to the owners.
It's almost like "Can I borrow your wife for a few weeks?"

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2015, 09:49 AM   #2

Wow, my answer would be NO, Just NO. And I would be insulted that someone even asked.

Dan and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:51 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
And my answer would take about two nano seconds... "Ah, NO!"
Old 06-09-2015, 09:54 AM   #4

Some people do have nerve. That is really pushing the envelope though.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:55 AM   #5

wow... some people have brass ones.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:56 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What part of no don't they understand 😄. A lot of nerve for sure.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:57 AM   #7

Several years ago my friend told my boss I had a boat and would probably be fine renting it to him for a Memorial Day weekend trip. Talk about an uncomfortable conversation when I had to say no. Not just because I'm meticulous about maintaining things like that, but imagine the liability? I'm sure all my insurance would be null and void if there were a accident and it came out I'd rented it to somebody.

I don't even lend friends my 20 year old pressure washer. Imagine my new motorhome!
Old 06-09-2015, 10:49 AM   #8

Not a big deal. After all, they probably expect a "No" anyway so that is what they get - usually with a "sorry" tacked on to soften it a bit. Add "insurance problems" if necessary.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:50 AM   #9

I think you have hit on the correct response to the original post. "My insurance lists me as the only driver. This is a specific motorhome policy, and there are no exceptions".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Several years ago my friend told my boss I had a boat and would probably be fine renting it to him for a Memorial Day weekend trip. Talk about an uncomfortable conversation when I had to say no. Not just because I'm meticulous about maintaining things like that, but imagine the liability? I'm sure all my insurance would be null and void if there were a accident and it came out I'd rented it to somebody.

I don't even lend friends my 20 year old pressure washer. Imagine my new motorhome!
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:50 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey Gerry.... My family and I will be in Pennsylvania later in the summer while you're away. Could we borrow your house for a week so we won't have to spend our money on a hotel?

We've never actually lived in a real house, but we've spent a lot of time in industrial bunkhouses, so we should be fine.

Whaddya say, bud?

Fulltiming since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:18 AM   #11

I share some of the thoughts already expressed, but I have another as well. We all remember when we got into the RV thing. Any of us make mistakes? Even costly ones? Near misses? Sure! Until we got used to driving one and all the nuances about RV's we were probably a lot less safe than we are now. Would we go back to it? No. Should we loan to someone who is starting out just like we did only with no ownership responsibilities? Ah, no! Now I do have a couple buddies who have similar rv's who I would have no issue loaning to. They have good heads on their shoulders and understand what it takes to safely operate and even fix these things. For these two guys....in an instant and without a second thought. Everyone else.....no. Even for their own safety. I mean how would I feel if a tire blew and they handled it poorly and were injured?
Old 06-09-2015, 11:21 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryl View Post
Friends of ours (not real close), called my wife and told her that they (and there family) had to go to a funeral about 600 miles away. She asked if they could use our motorhome to go. She said they had experience driving tractor-trailers and assured my wife that they would be fine driving our MH.

My wife was floored. We are very meticulous about how we keep our unit (as I am sure everyone is) and would not even lend our MH to our own grown Kids. Although they realize how personal it is and would never even think of asking.

Apparently, people who donít have motorhomes havenít the foggiest clue as to how personal a Motorhome is to the owners.
It's almost like "Can I borrow your wife for a few weeks?"
Geesh. I'm just trying to picture your Seabreeze in the funeral procession.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:49 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Geesh. I'm just trying to picture your Seabreeze in the funeral procession.
WHAT! The toad is not included!
Old 06-09-2015, 11:53 AM   #14

When my mother and father in law had one, and we didn't, he'd basically PUSH us to use theirs when ever we wanted to. He'd to that with all the kids in his family. But, there was always a benny for him, it would come back from a trip, in way better shape than when it left. I'd always fix something, tune it up, do brake checks, make sure all the lights and anything else worked properly when it was returned.

Heck, I even re-clear coated the top of the front cap one time for him 'cause it was peeling. Needless to say, he was HAPPY to loan it to us, FOR AS LONG AS WE WANTED TO USE IT! My sister in law also used it but, they're not as mechanically inclined as we are so, all it would get is a wash job when they returned it which, I guess is better than nothing.

I'd loan ours to our kids, if they asked. Both are outstandingly responsible and, they'd have no issues in taking outstanding care of it while using it. But, I don't have to worry about that 'cause they both have their own.

But, I can surely see saying no to about 99.999999% of who asked to borrow a motor home. As has been stated, there are so many that are clueless in all aspects of driving, using, taking care of, LEVELING, BACKING, watching out for obstacles when driving/backing/turning/, keeping it clean, being careful while using it, and everything else.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote