Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
From 8/27/2002 until 6/01/2013 all fuel bought and miles in a Spreadsheet.
Average with a MH at 23,000 lb. 5.9L ISB pulling a 2,700 lb cargo trailer or a 3,200 lb toad is 10.216 MPG
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #44

Yea I was following your other thread bobioknight and was just interested in finding out where the mistake was made. Because I assume you only have a 100 gal tank.and even with the mileage corrected to the 952 you had to have gotten over 10 mpg or you had about 5 gal left in your tank.
Running a diesel dry is not a good thing so just curious how large is your tank?
Old 06-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlyons View Post
A class A will never see 17 mpg. Something wrong with the calculations on that one.
X2 on this response
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My 1999 American Eagle 40' 350 Cummins towing a GMC Denali XL 4 wheels down I never would get better than 7.5, usually around 7. My 2009 American Eagle 42' with 425 Cummins never gets 6 mpg towing a 24' Trailer, usually in the low 5's. I would be ecstatic to get 7 mpg let alone what most of you are getting. I usually run about 1750 rpm which is about 64-65 mph.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #47

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
Yea I was following your other thread bobioknight and was just interested in finding out where the mistake was made. Because I assume you only have a 100 gal tank.and even with the mileage corrected to the 952 you had to have gotten over 10 mpg or you had about 5 gal left in your tank.
Running a diesel dry is not a good thing so just curious how large is your tank?
Post #11 in the other thread says he has a 110 gallon tank. I would bet as much as a nickel that it will take at least 35 gallons more fuel to get it full. Stopping the pump before the tank is full is the only explanation. The mileage has been confirmed to be between 960 and 1120 miles (what's 160 miles when you are calculating mpg)
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimberleyman View Post
Anywhere between 8.3 and 10.5 pulling a toad. For me it all depends on the wind. More wind, worse mileage. Interesting thing is best mileage (10.5) was in the mountains but no wind. Go figure!

WM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlyons View Post
A class A will never see 17 mpg. Something wrong with the calculations on that one.
All you have to do is hook a chain on one of those 18weelers ahead of you.....
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2005 journey with a C-7 The triptek computer says the coach over its life has gotten 7.03mpg. Not great but appears to be the average. My father has virtually the same chassis and running gear in a different brand coach. He's owned it since new and gets 9-10mpg consistently. Not sure why he's higher than me.

We should probably ease off Bobio...he's already admitted to an oops on the numbers.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #50

I get an average of 11.4 over the last 6000 miles. Cat 330 and seldom go over 60
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:49 PM   #51

Ok so let me begin by saying I absolutely did not get 17mpg. However this is what I did experience on this trip. I fueled up when arriving back in town after a day at the mechanic installing new tires and checking the air leveling system, I topped off the tank with as much fuel as possible because I totally expected that I would have to fuel up a second time during our trip and wanted to get as far as possible. We left for Napa leaving early in the morning, we headed out and travelled non stop to our destination. Traveling at 55 most of the trip except the few times I caught myself gaining speed. I did not use speed control but was in economy mode. And did hang out behind trucks for most of the trip mainly to help keep my speed consistent and act as a wind break. The new michelin tires 255/80 22.5's all were aired up to between 105 and 110 lbs (quite a bit more that was necessary for my weight). the weather was pretty overcast so it stayed cool the entire trip so I did not run air conditioning. I did run the generator about an hour during the trip to keep the batteries up since we did not have hookups where we were parked. During our non stop trip back to the house I noticed coming back on the 5, I only had to use light pressure on the excellerator and the fuel needle barely moved, I surprisedly had barely used 1/2 the tank and we were getting closer to home, most of the fuel was used when hitting stop and go traffic near magic mountain, up to the 91 and cleared up at the 15 which is about a half hour from home. I returned to the fueling station, (same one I filled up at, and it was the same exact pump) I leveled, and pumped fuel til it was topped off at 65.x gallons. (I think my tank hold 100 to 110 gallons). I checked my odometer which read 1120 miles (this was wrong so calm down) after understanding that 17 mpg was utterly rediculous I went back to google maps which indicated my trip should have been 952 miles, so I retraces my route using my gps navigator and came up with 960 miles.

I never would have let the guage go below 1/4 tank, yet come to think about it, I was probably pretty silly to trust a fuel guage that did not move much during our return, I kept expecting it to take a long time to hit a certain point the drop rapidly like it does in my truck. But it just slowly dropped somewhere between 1/2 and 1/4 tank and we were very close to home, So I never got nervous about running too low.

So to sum up, 960 ONE stop miles, 55mph, max inflated new tires, some stop and go traffic, 1 hour on the generator, topping off fuel coming and going (yes I have pumped fuel before), waxed and polished full paint, low profile body, full 110 gallons of fresh water, black and gray tanks empty, couple hundred pounds of camping stuff in the storage area, 3 adults, 2 kids. Beer, wine, pop and food in the frig, dual roof air units, sun roof, satelite, 4 antennas, couple roof vents, Alcoa rims, 1993 country coach, magna, 300hp cummins, 5 speed allison, and one flux capacitor (80's reference, and joking) Not towing anything nor do I have any special exhaust or equipment.

I might add that when twist the headlight pull know to turn my dash lights on and off, the guages do fluxuate higher and lower depending if the dash light are on or off, so I do know my guages can be off a bit.

This coach is new to me so I am not sure of all the systems, but I do know how to pump gas, use a calculator and obviously pick a good Motorhome. Have fun.
bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobioknight View Post
Ok so let me begin by saying I absolutely did not get 17mpg.
This coach is new to me so I am not sure of all the systems, but I do know how to pump gas, use a calculator and obviously pick a good Motorhome. Have fun.
bobioknight
As I said when replying to your other post, it takes a big man to admit he was mistaken.

IMO the only "real mistake" you made was posting your error twice, so 100s, (1000s?), of coach owners could read all about it.
Good luck with your "new to you" Motorhome.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #53

I think Bobioknight has been a really good sport about this whole thing. I sure hope he continues to keep his delicious sense of humor about this whole thing.

On a related note, I keep thinking about a TV show I saw decades ago, when the VW Beetles were becoming popular, about a man who simply couldn't believe the fantastic mileage he was getting with his new Beetle. After he had it serviced, his mileage dropped by about 10. He was upset with the dealer's service and threatening to sue, when his next door neighbor admitted to a really funny practical joke. The neighbor said that about every other night, he had sneaked over and added a gallon of gas to the Beetle. When it was serviced, he stopped. The guy pulling the prank thought it was funny.

I also know that there were many "critics" who couldn't believe it when we had our Winnie View and were getting 18 and 19 miles to the gallon.

Bobioknight, please keep up the posts.

G L Arnold
Old 06-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by glarnold View Post
I think Bobioknight has been a really good sport about this whole thing. I sure hope he continues to keep his delicious sense of humor about this whole thing.

On a related note, I keep thinking about a TV show I saw decades ago, when the VW Beetles were becoming popular, about a man who simply couldn't believe the fantastic mileage he was getting with his new Beetle. After he had it serviced, his mileage dropped by about 10. He was upset with the dealer's service and threatening to sue, when his next door neighbor admitted to a really funny practical joke. The neighbor said that about every other night, he had sneaked over and added a gallon of gas to the Beetle. When it was serviced, he stopped. The guy pulling the prank thought it was funny.

I also know that there were many "critics" who couldn't believe it when we had our Winnie View and were getting 18 and 19 miles to the gallon.

Bobioknight, please keep up the posts.

G L Arnold

That is awesome, and exactly what my wife and kids would do to me. I better go home and check the gas cans at the house. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
bobioknight
As I said when replying to your other post, it takes a big man to admit he was mistaken.

IMO the only "real mistake" you made was posting your error twice, so 100s, (1000s?), of coach owners could read all about it.
Good luck with your "new to you" Motorhome.
Mel
'96 Safari
Hi Mel, Sharing and experience is not a mistake. The mistake is telling someone their experience was wrong, in error or a lie. Reposting was because someone asked and I wanted them to have all the information (not ammunition) to know what the specifications of my trip was. It is what forums and community building is all about.

(speaking slowly) I know it is hard Mel but try to remember back as far as yesterday, my ERROR which you are referring to was that I initially THOUGHT I had a trip yielding 17mpg, but AGAIN that was WRONG, YES Mel, that was WRONG. Remember my odometer (the little spinning thingamajig on the dash that spins round and round while the RV is moving, well Mel it turns out it was spinning a little too fast causing me to think I drove further than I did. Giving me the wrong impression that my New RV was from a magical land. So you see Mel, I was not again implying that I had this magical RV. But yet another mediocre one just like yours, And now the world of Mel is good once again, and Mel can take another pill and drift off to sleep, knowing that he is the bigger man having sleighed another magical beast. (shhhh everyone Mel is napping).

Mel, IMO it does not take a big man to admit his mistakes. It takes a big man to show humility and kindness to others.

Good luck in your travels too, night night.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Bob, I know how much fun a new coach can be and how some new things are cropping up all the time. I just got a chance to do a GPS correction to my actual listed coach speed. It turns out I am 5.3% faster than the speedometer shows. I just went back and corrected my mileage. Mainly because it made me feel better, I was able to add .4134 miles per gal. This brings my total mileage this year so far to 8.2134 per gal. Only one small 1833 mile trip through northern New Mexico so far.
Now you know not to trust your fuel gage or speedometer. Looking forward to your next mileage checks.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel