Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2009, 01:58 PM   #15

USAA now offers RV and fulltime insurance through Progtessive. It was less expensive than National Interstate and everything else I do (toad insurance, banking. life insurance, stick house insurance before we went full time,etc. etc.etc) had been with USAA for the last 48 years has been with USAA.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2009, 01:08 AM   #16
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have Progressive last year and just renewed for this year. Started out with GMAC when I bought the MH a couple of years ago but, when they sent me a renewal notice, there was a big increase.

Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:15 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We currently have insurance via AARP (Hartford). Had GMAC but everytime we get a rise in insurance we shop around again and seem to find it cheaper somewhere. Maybe there is a generally used insurance industry technique where they plan on raising an individual's insurance rates in hopes they don't go through the pains of shopping again. GMAC also had cancellation fees that were not disclosed in the policy. When asked about the cancellation fess they replied they did not have to disclose 'all' fees. I'm not convinced that is the case, but it was not enough to contest, (maybe another generally used insurance industry technique). We now consider the whole process a yearly chore.

The Hamptons
2015 Newmar Ventana LE 3436
2005 Mini Cooper S
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:51 PM   #18

motorhome insurance

could you give me the telephone # for national interstate..we,re buying a class a and were told by state farm our rate would be $823.00.thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmiles View Post
The founder of Progressive Insurance is an extreme political activist who's views are about as far the opposite side of mine as you can get. That's all well and good, he has a right to his views, and to act on them as he sees fit.

I too have rights and I exersize those rights with my pocketbook. I use National Interstate, and I also use their emergency roadside service. I had the misfortune of having to use their roadside service last summer, and they are top notch. I could not have been treated better. They paid 100% of the tow, even though I am actually supposed to call them and have them arrange the tow I didn't know that and arranged the tow myself. No questions asked, they paid 100% of the tow the day they got my receipt. They were very friendly and even though when I actually went through the paperwork and saw that I did it wrong, there was nary a problem.

I just paid my renewal yesterday, $494 for a class A and that includes their roadside towing service. It did not go up a nickel, but maybe we didn't have that same increase they claim you had in Michigan since I live in VA.

If Progressive was the last insurance company on earth, I would not have insurance.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:57 PM   #19

state far

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyBob View Post
With State Farm's multiple vehicle discount, they were the lowest of several companies I contacted. I've had several claims with them over the years for cars that were handled to my satisfaction but not the coach yet (knock on wood).

we've had insurance with state farm for over 40 years, they told me the vehicle discount did not apply to rvs. did you get the discount on your rv? the rate i was quoted today for a class a was 823.00/year and we have never had an accident.??????
Old 07-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Very happy with GMAC - haven't been able to get a better rate in four years. Agree they do tend to raise premiums year to year, but most insurers do that. Their suspended coverage feature saves a lot of money if you store periodically thru the year as I do.

Have had two claims - rodent damage and windshield repair, both handled promptly and very well. I'm sticking with GMAC.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 05:58 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
could you give me the telephone # for national interstate
Faye

We have National Interstate through Explorer RV (insurance broker). Explorer RV's number is 1-888-774-6778, website www.explorerrv.com
Old 07-16-2009, 08:47 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
We're new so please forgive what may seem to be basic questions. When we bought our coach I called our agent and said add the motor home. She asked if we wanted the RV towing and I said sure. When I get the policy update it says that the limits of liability on the motor home towing coverage is $250. That makes it about worthless as far as I can see. On the other hand the premium is only $12.

So I guess the question is - do you all insure for the usual things (liability, uninsured motorists, collision, comprehensive, etc) with your auto insurance carrier and then buy a towing/roadside assistance policy from another company? Or do you get it all through Good Sam or some other RV-centric outfit?

Thanks,
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:53 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
I have AARP (the hartford). this year paid 500 and next year is the same. did have a claim this year for 6500. they didn't get overly excited.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:57 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
diplomat dave,

you should call your insurance company and let them know you have a big toy. $12.00. I would be very concerned they didn't understand what you wanted. Yes i carry full coverage also.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:46 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Most auto insurance companies don't have a clue about an RV -- they insure it as just another vehicle. That might work for some smaller RVs that are occasionally used, but I believe that large RVs and especially full-timer rigs need insurance from someone who knows what an RV is, and doesn't exclude all kinds of things (including awning damage in the case of my sister in law recently) because they are "contents." I have my diesel pusher insured through an RV specific company. My contents are covered just like at at "normal" house. I also have roadside assistance coverage (apx $109/yr) through Coach-Net that covers my motorhome and ALL other vehicles I own. In addition to towing, they have 24 hr technical assistance that has many times helped me to resolve a problem without need for service. I get WAY more from Coach-Net than we used to get from AAA, and for far less money.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:55 AM   #26

Thanks, Paul. I think I get it now. The "regular" insurance like collision and comprehensive are purchased from one outfit, National Interstate in your case, and the roadside assistance/towing from another, Coach Net in your case.

Wisdom, good value and all aside for the moment, an analog might be State Farm for the "regular" insurance and AAA for the roadside assistance/towing insurance or service like many do for their cars.

Thanks again,

Dave
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
Old 07-18-2009, 08:11 AM   #27

Went with Coach-Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I also have roadside assistance coverage (apx $109/yr) through Coach-Net that covers my motorhome and ALL other vehicles I own. ... I get WAY more from Coach-Net than we used to get from AAA, and for far less money.
I contacted Coach-Net and from all indications they do indeed offer more than AAA for RV's. They have an introductory offer right now that covers the coach, motorcycle, and two cars for $99.50 for the first year or $278 for the first three years.

I canceled the $12 towing addendum for the coach and $12 for the motorcycle on my regular liability/casualty policy. When I don't renew AAA for $55 that will be a total of $79 in insurance cost reduction. So for a net of $20.50 per year I got to add my motor home and improve towing/roadside assistance coverage on all of our vehicles. Is this a great forum or what? Thanks!

Has anyone used any of the "Concierge Services"? Seems like a handy way to get RV park recommendations as you are going down the road.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:42 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
I might get flamed for this but when we first got our Class C, we went with Progressive.
When renewal time came, the renewal showed a marked increase.
Did some inquiring and found Geico to actually be cheaper with better coverage.
we have them for DW car, my Jeep, the MH and our home.
We are very pleased with them.