Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2009, 08:28 AM   #43

i have aarp (hartford) good price nice people the only downside i see is i had to be old to get it

johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2009, 01:58 AM   #44

Location: Fulltiming. Living wherever the jacks hit the ground.
I had Progressive and had their Roadside service until recently. I was traveling in Southern Idaho, heading into Yellowstone National Park on April 28th. I pulled into an RV Park in Rexburg, ID and was told by the CG owner/manager to "pull into any spot" and when I did I sunk to the axles in soft grass/mud. When I called Progressive and requested a tow I was informed that their policy was that if I was more than 100 feet off of a City/County/State maintained road they would not cover the tow. I informed that that the MH was an RV and the RV was in an RV park and added that RV parks were where RV's go. Sorry Charlie, pay it yourself was the end result. I told them I knew how to solve that problem and I did.

In June when the car policy came due I called several insurers and wound up with GEICO for both vehicles. I got the same level of coverage for 1/2 the price of what I had been paying Progressive. BTW, their policy was the same on their road side assist, so I went with Good Sam for that part of the policy. Good Sam will come to where ever you are and tow or assist you.

I wouldn't recommend Progressive to my worst enemy.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:19 AM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiplomatDave View Post
We're new so please forgive what may seem to be basic questions. When we bought our coach I called our agent and said add the motor home. She asked if we wanted the RV towing and I said sure. When I get the policy update it says that the limits of liability on the motor home towing coverage is $250. That makes it about worthless as far as I can see. On the other hand the premium is only $12.

So I guess the question is - do you all insure for the usual things (liability, uninsured motorists, collision, comprehensive, etc) with your auto insurance carrier and then buy a towing/roadside assistance policy from another company? Or do you get it all through Good Sam or some other RV-centric outfit?

Thanks,
Thats what I do, I use "Coachnet" for towing.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:00 AM   #46

Insurance coverage

BUCK 62,
I have Natl Interstate also. As you pointed out it does not appear that anyone can come near to their pricing for the coverage they offer. The have 5 years of full replacement and then after that they cover what you paid for the coach total which in my case is more than substantial. The only one I found that offers this is Good Sam(and whoever they use at roughly twice the price) Interstate also reduces your deductible 25% per year when you don't have a claim. 4 years you have no deductible. These people are truly in the RV Ins business. I spoke with Met Life one time and they just looked at me and told me they were not competeive with anyone. Geico, Progressive, All State & State Farm can't touch them. I had a quote from an American Modern Home who said they could compete. Wrong, more money and not full replacement. Thought about
$ 120,000.00 was a nice figure for replacement. I have used Natl Interstate twice for windshields and that did not affect my reduction of deductible. Great company.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:45 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just called Good Sam for a quote on my 05 Winnebago. Their quote was $900.00 for six months - compared to the 422.00 I'm paying USAA. Granted their coverage for total loss is better, but I can't see more than doubling my annual premiums. I've been with USAA for as long as they have been in business with my automobiles and with the MHs since 1979. I'll stay with them.
j griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:21 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugs53 View Post
It appears we are in the minority. Bugsw53 has State Farm.
State Farm doesn't have specialized RV coverage. we have them for everything else including our umbrella coverage.

We have progressive on the RV and we are very happy we did when our 2 year old journey was totaled by a drunk and replaced by an almost identical new Meridian
Old 09-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #49

After checking with different companies,I went with Foremost Insurance Group for my class c. It was less than $450.00 a year and covered what I needed! Here is link Overview - Motor Home Insurance - Foremost Insurance Group. Check it out and see what you think!
Boomer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:44 PM   #50

National RV Owners Club
Thanks Boomer

I went to the site and requested a quote. I'll let you know how it compares to American Home where I have ins now.

Dick
Old 09-19-2009, 10:05 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
Thanks Boomer

I went to the site and requested a quote. I'll let you know how it compares to American Home where I have ins now.

Dick
Your welcome,please let me know what you find out. I used to believe that by having all your posessions insured with one carrier you would get the best rate. Not true!!
Our Main residence State farm was lowest as was my wifes car and a classic car.
My Superduty and jeep the best deal was with alstate.
The M/H foremost was the best
The Harley and our cottage was the lowest with Farmers Ins.
By shopping around for insurance it will surprise you the difference in the rates for the same insurance coverage.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:03 AM   #52

National RV Owners Club
Boomer
I received the quote today from American Federation and it's $794. Where I am now is $493 and the coverage is about the same. Sometimes it's hard to compare Apples to Apples. I never have been able to sort the pricing of insurance. They seem to roll dice or something to get a price. There is no reason mine should be very differant than yours.
Go figure.

Dick
Old 09-21-2009, 08:17 PM   #53

Unfortunately, what works for me in one state DOESN'T work for someone else in another state----State Insurance Agencies, etc.

I sometimes think that the state of confusion is where I usually reside.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:02 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
Boomer
I received the quote today from American Federation and it's $794. Where I am now is $493 and the coverage is about the same. Sometimes it's hard to compare Apples to Apples. I never have been able to sort the pricing of insurance. They seem to roll dice or something to get a price. There is no reason mine should be very differant than yours.
Go figure.

Dick
Dick,thats quite a big difference-$301.00 a year. That was about the difference in my jeep per year from state farm to allstate. It looks like the rate you now have is pretty good per year. My allstate agent says they look at where applicate lives, past claims,your credit rating,driving record,
criminal record and work record when deciding the cost of policy. Different Zip Codes in same city may have different rates.
Sounds like you are getting a pretty good deal!
Old 09-22-2009, 11:32 AM   #55
rek

Camping World gave us a quote around $2,400 per year so I went with State Farm for $975 per year who also has our auto and home insurance. Our MH is brand new so maybe that makes it cost more than what I see others paying.