Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2017, 06:09 AM   #15

We use power services diesel kleen in all our big rigs at work and our e350 power strokes
Philswrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2017, 06:43 AM   #16

I use Power Service to keep the injectors clean and two-stroke ashless oil to improve the lubricity of today's "dry" diesel.

It costs only a few pennies for the additives, and it is worth every one of those pennies for my peace-of-mind as my 21-year-old engine continues to serve while using a much different fuel than it was originally designed to use.
Airstreamer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurdock View Post
I have a 20yr old pre-emissions engine so it misses all the sulphur. I use 100:1 tcw-3 two stroke oil (low ash) and PRI-D. Never heard of PRI-D but a friend with a fishing boat swears by it so I use it.
Same here except mine is 25 years old
1320Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:35 AM   #18

I never used additives in the past but I started with this coach. I went with the Cummins product based on availability the Optilube had to be shipped to me.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:08 AM   #19

Many years ago I lost my diesel while motoring under the Carcinous Straights bridge just N of SFO. Lots of
Current but finally was able to anchor-hop to the edge of the channel. 2 or3 hrs later I found alge sludge blocking the fuel line. I found out later that alge grows in diesel particularly when sitting for extended time. I've used an additive in all my diesel motors since.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:49 PM   #20

The only thing I ever use is Biobor JF to eliminate the chance of microbe buildup in the tank, since these things do way more sitting than running.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:05 PM   #21

I have a 2009 Cat C7 and the Cat manual says specifically not to use additives.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:15 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here's one announcement about the new Cummins stance on additives:
Cummins Endorses Two Fuel Additives - TopNews - Fuel Smarts - TopNews - TruckingInfo.com
Here's Cummins statement: https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/additives
Here's another: http://www.equipmentworld.com/for-fi...iesel-engines/
Here's another: http://www.ccjdigital.com/cummins-en...uel-additives/
And finally, what Cummins put out to it's investors: http://investor.cummins.com/phoenix....cle&ID=2271845
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradvoorhees View Post
When we owned our boat it had twin diesels, I would fill at fuel docks that had valve tech addition. Now that we are running a land yacht I was wondering with today's lower sulfur content if anyone is using an additive for lubrication/ anti-gel and or injector conditioner.

Obviously some believe it to be snake oil, but lower sulfur means less lubricant , at least that is what I have been told.

Would like to hear opinions on this since I really don't know, guess I always felt a little better knowing did have valvetech going in them tanks before, they were big tanks though holding 600 gallons.
Thanks
FOr your input, I just want to take care of the beast.
Brad
I'm never nervous I use Power Service!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:22 PM   #24

Another owner with a Cummins designed to run on Pre ULSD fuels.

-Opti-Lube Summer Blend in most tanks
-If not Summer Blend, I still have three gallons left of the the conventional Optics's-Lube from when I bought in bulk (Before Summer Blend was available.). I carry enough of this to treat two full tank fills, which equates to about 4-5 fill up's - as I drive on the top of the tank. Used this when we hit some colder weather, like on our trip to Alaska as we left very early in the season.
-Biobor JF - I use this at every fill up before storing. And when traveling in humid regions.

I also have had a bad batch of fuel wants, that resulted in a bit of algae. So I now also travel with a few products for chemical warfare - if needed.

I've been known to add Cetane when driving in regions with more mountainous driving - like Colorado. Why add Cetane? Well no question that MPG, and thus power, per gallon of diesel declined when they shifted from old Type II to ULSD. So my view is every little bit helps!

Opinions will vary on this topic... So do your own research, determine what you feel is best for your engine - and do what you want to do!

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:39 PM   #25

Additives; you may find this Lubricity additive study informative even though it was performed in 2007. Power Service is a popular additive, look where it ranks in the study.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markminnc View Post
Many years ago I lost my diesel while motoring under the Carcinous Straights bridge just N of SFO. Lots of
Current but finally was able to anchor-hop to the edge of the channel. 2 or3 hrs later I found alge sludge blocking the fuel line. I found out later that alge grows in diesel particularly when sitting for extended time. I've used an additive in all my diesel motors since.
Algae is not Algae
Keeping the fuel tank full when in storage greatly reduces water accumulation in diesel fuel.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:56 AM   #26

Are you guys talking oil additive or fuel additive. I have used and recommend Sta Bil diesel additive to reduce and eliminate algae growth. Read the bottle and follow the directions and I use it at EVERY fill up. It eliminated algae growth because it helps eliminate the water in the fuel with causes the big problem. If you have small gas equipment or old cars, use the gas type sta bil all year around and just keep it in all the time. Then you don't have to "Winterize" stuff.
onholdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:16 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer6 View Post
I use Power Service to keep the injectors clean and two-stroke ashless oil to improve the lubricity of today's "dry" diesel.

It costs only a few pennies for the additives, and it is worth every one of those pennies for my peace-of-mind as my 21-year-old engine continues to serve while using a much different fuel than it was originally designed to use.

I like that combo, I've also heard of guys using tranny oil for lubricity
Old 07-27-2017, 06:21 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by onholdguy View Post
Are you guys talking oil additive or fuel additive. I have used and recommend Sta Bil diesel additive to reduce and eliminate algae growth. Read the bottle and follow the directions and I use it at EVERY fill up. It eliminated algae growth because it helps eliminate the water in the fuel with causes the big problem. If you have small gas equipment or old cars, use the gas type sta bil all year around and just keep it in all the time. Then you don't have to "Winterize" stuff.
Be sure you use the correct version of Sta Bil. The standard additive is not a biocide and will not provide the protection in storage you get with a biocide.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel