Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #15

I just enjoy keeping in touch with motorhome issues, just like being an Escapees member allows me to support the fulltimer crowd (which we intend to join!) Both groups seem like class acts, so I will remain in touch with both. If we can get a discount someplace due to our membership, that's a bonus. We have attended an FMCA rally, which was enjoyable. We'll probably join Good Sam once we hit the road too (as long as they don't bombard us with mailings!)

Roy
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
I not only belong to the F.M.C.A. but I also belong to Motor Coach and Good Sam.
When we can we will go to the Rally's but most of all I injoy the articals they do have some thing that I never heard of before.
Sometime I will fine answards to things that have cross my mine.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We let our membership lapse last year, but I find myself reading and re-reading the old magazines over and over again in water closet. I could use some new reading material, and there are usually one or two informative articles in each issue .. so for that alone, we'll probably renew.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I have been a member for maybe 8-9 years now. Back in 2010 I signed up for a 5 year renewal which doesn't expire until 2015.

In the beginning there were lots of benefits to being a member. Not so anymore. The magazine has been reduced in information, size and quality.

They have taken away benefits and now charge for them.

The only decent benefit recently is the Michelin tire discount BUT if you join the Monaco's International Club the discount is even better than the FMCA discount.

Monaco International - Home

And some people have gotten even a BETTER price dealing directly with a tire dealer with them matching or beating the FMCA or MI discounts. It all depends on who you talk to and where you are in the country.

The presiding officers are all older and need to get off their duff and start thinking about how to increase the membership with the younger people who are just getting into RVing and not just focusing on the older crowd who are just maintaining their membership or hanging on.

Or better yet, get some younger blood into the executive committee membership who can be future thinking regarding the younger generation of RVer's or the upcoming babyboomers.

There are plenty of us old farts in the "club". It's time for some new blood.

The existing membership is declining because of a number of reasons but my opinion is that the officers are in it for themselves and are not looking ahead for the future and the future of FMCA.

Heck, now they are offering Lifetime Memberships! Give me a break! Another attempt at funding their salaries.

They don't have the funds anymore that they use to or the membership. It's hurting their pockets.

Would I join up again right now, NO.

Once my renewal comes up in 2015, I will see what changes have taken place and make a decision then.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I have been a member for maybe 8-9 years now. Back in 2010 I signed up for a 5 year renewal which doesn't expire until 2015.

In the beginning there were lots of benefits to being a member. Not so anymore. The magazine has been reduced in information, size and quality.

They have taken away benefits and now charge for them.

The only decent benefit recently is the Michelin tire discount BUT if you join the Monaco's International Club the discount is even better than the FMCA discount.

Monaco International - Home

And some people have gotten even a BETTER price dealing directly with a tire dealer with them matching or beating the FMCA or MI discounts. It all depends on who you talk to and where you are in the country.

The presiding officers are all older and need to get off their duff and start thinking about how to increase the membership with the younger people who are just getting into RVing and not just focusing on the older crowd who are just maintaining their membership or hanging on.

Or better yet, get some younger blood into the executive committee membership who can be future thinking regarding the younger generation of RVer's or the upcoming babyboomers.

The existing membership is declining because of a number of reasons but my opinion is that the officers are in it for themselves and are not looking ahead for the future and the future of FMCA.

Heck, now they are offering Lifetime Memberships! Give me a break! Another attempt at funding their salaries.

They don't have the funds anymore that they use to or the membership. It's hurting their pockets.

Once my renewal comes up in 2015, I will see what changes have taken place and make a decision then.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Well spoken ...

I don't know enough about FMCA and the management to speak to your comments, but they seem to be well grounded to me.

As someone who is "newer" the RV lifestyle, it seems to me that FMCA could benefit from the views and comments of longer term members like yourself.

I will agree that the "benefits" of an FMCA membership are really not unlike a membership in any other "camping style" club .. Good Sam, Passport America, etc.

Maybe it is time to start implementing a changing of the guard.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We joined when we were new. We let it lapse, but I always felt a little guilty because I have the plaque on the back of my rig.

So I rejoined for like five years to take advantage of the Michelin deal only to find the local dealers were clueless and Costco had the tires at the same price.

I do like the magazine. If I am correct the emergency plan now cost extra, I see adds for it in the magazine.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
WE belong to two FMCA chapters - NW Trek Fun Club and Coaches for Christ. NWTFC provides great fellowship and insights from owners of similar motor homes. C4C also provides good fellowship. In order to belong to chapters, one must join FMCA. We do enjoy the club rallies and the magazine. We did purchase new tires this year on the FMCA plan. Will continue membership.
zekegb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry & Rita View Post
I'm with Rick, we joined twice, mainly because I didn't research it.
We found a couple of the local chapters and plan on going to thier rallys which is the best way to get to know them.
I guess the first time I expected them to knock down my door to ask me to join.
I looked over the site and located the lists of chapters then requested info for each, I got the e-mail back the next day with a schedule of events I could go to.
If the meetings are as friendly as the e-mails I will reup for next year.
Larry
I tried that and NEVER got an answer back from the chapter I was interested in. Still haven't found a chapter but that's because I quit trying.

Hi Larry and Rita!!

If you'll notice our number, it's 47302, left over from the free membership my parents got when they bought their Foretravel. We were able to use their old number when they quit RV'ing by adding a "S" (for Son) so now it's F47302S
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #23

I had a 1 yr membership. I joined basically to go for the tire discount program...I bought my tires on my own and a better savings. I let my membership expire. Not that it is a bad club, but a club that I didn't do anything for me. The magazine was nice but being on the RV sites...magazine was redundant for me
Old 07-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #24

The discount and how good it is depends on where you are located. In my case, the FMCA discount was over $150 per tire cheaper than anything else. In the smaller tires I am sure you could get a better deal at a tire store. When you get into the larger 22.5 tires, not a lot of dealers carry them and the MI discount from a MI dealer is worthwhile.

Every two years there is a "change of guard" and a new president, senior vice president, secretary and treasurer are elected. Just 10 days ago we elected a prez and vp whose F numbers are in the 300,000 range. These are pretty recent numbers and do not represent the old farts. Sure you will always have those that have the "back in my day" attitude but the new officers are a new breed with new ideas

If you take a look at the executive board, most of them are in their late 50's to early 60's. It is hard to get any younger people because they still work!

FYI, at the Gillette convention there was a record number of young people enjoying themselves.

Go out and recruit some! No one is stopping you. How many have you brought into the association? Notice I said association as FMCA is not a "club". Each member owns a part of the association unlike the Good Sam Club where a member owns nothing. Good Sam is not a club, it is a corporation in which you as a member have zero rights other than to pay dues. You have no representation as to how the "club" is run.

The average age of the FMCA member is 67. Do you read the final trip section and see how many have passed? There is also a large number that are hanging up the keys and undergoing a change of lifestyle. I will agree that "back in the old days" a lot of the officers were in it for the $$. There was a time when people in charge of the parking crews, security, etc were paid a very nice sum to perform "volunteer" work. The officers received per diem, mileage, etc. This has come to an end, I know because I voted to end the perks. There is no more free ride.

Totally wrong. For the 50th anniversary and for a limited time, you could get a life membership for $1050. If you didn't get one, to bad so sad. Oh by the way, the officers of FMCA do not receive a salary.

FMCA bled $$ for a few years however since 2011 it has been operating in the black. FMCA has been self supporting and has not dipped into the reserve funds to cover operating expenses. FMCA owns all of their property outright and owes zero money to anyone. With the downturn of the RV industry, the magazine, which FMCA owns, has seen a reduction in advertizing. In the past the magazine put a lot of money into FMCA but today it is just covering its expenses.

Maybe you should get more involved instead of being a "what's in it for me"member.

Hopefully by 2015 you will have a change of heart. Until that time, become active in FMCA
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:20 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post

The discount and how good it is depends on where you are located. In my case, the FMCA discount was over $150 per tire cheaper than anything else. In the smaller tires I am sure you could get a better deal at a tire store. When you get into the larger 22.5 tires, not a lot of dealers carry them and the MI discount from a MI dealer is worthwhile.

Every two years there is a "change of guard" and a new president, senior vice president, secretary and treasurer are elected. Just 10 days ago we elected a prez and vp whose F numbers are in the 300,000 range. These are pretty recent numbers and do not represent the old farts. Sure you will always have those that have the "back in my day" attitude but the new officers are a new breed with new ideas

If you take a look at the executive board, most of them are in their late 50's to early 60's. It is hard to get any younger people because they still work!

FYI, at the Gillette convention there was a record number of young people enjoying themselves.

Go out and recruit some! No one is stopping you. How many have you brought into the association? Notice I said association as FMCA is not a "club". Each member owns a part of the association unlike the Good Sam Club where a member owns nothing. Good Sam is not a club, it is a corporation in which you as a member have zero rights other than to pay dues. You have no representation as to how the "club" is run.

The average age of the FMCA member is 67. Do you read the final trip section and see how many have passed? There is also a large number that are hanging up the keys and undergoing a change of lifestyle. I will agree that "back in the old days" a lot of the officers were in it for the $$. There was a time when people in charge of the parking crews, security, etc were paid a very nice sum to perform "volunteer" work. The officers received per diem, mileage, etc. This has come to an end, I know because I voted to end the perks. There is no more free ride.

Totally wrong. For the 50th anniversary and for a limited time, you could get a life membership for $1050. If you didn't get one, to bad so sad. Oh by the way, the officers of FMCA do not receive a salary.

FMCA bled $$ for a few years however since 2011 it has been operating in the black. FMCA has been self supporting and has not dipped into the reserve funds to cover operating expenses. FMCA owns all of their property outright and owes zero money to anyone. With the downturn of the RV industry, the magazine, which FMCA owns, has seen a reduction in advertizing. In the past the magazine put a lot of money into FMCA but today it is just covering its expenses.

Maybe you should get more involved instead of being a "what's in it for me"member.

Hopefully by 2015 you will have a change of heart. Until that time, become active in FMCA
GOOD post!!
The more you put into a group the more you get out of it! If you don't bother to participate you'll get nothing!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I originally joined FMCA because a friend of mine encouraged me to and I wanted the emergency medical plan. I found two clubs that I really enjoy. The magazine is good and the rallies I have attended were enjoyable.

Last month I bought 4 new Michelin tires and saved approximately $100 per tire on the 19.5 size. Very good benefit, in my mind. I just renewed for 5 years.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #27

If you own a Monaco product and you need tires join Monaco International. I saved a ton of money on 8 new Michelins.

Steve 2005 panther
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:31 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A couple years ago we went to their big rally at the Minnesota State Fair Grounds. It was well organized and a lot of fun. The turnout was huge as well.

I also think the magazine makes it worth while.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote