Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
We were members for 14 years, but just let the dues notice lapse. Removed the goose eggs. The only correspondence from FMCA was one more "dues notice" then nothing. Not even a letter, e-mail, or phone call asking why we have dropped out.

At first we liked the magazine, and the articles. Slowly it became thinner and thinner. Now the articles seem to be of little interest to us since we can get much more from the internet. The one rally that we attended was somewhat segregated into clique groups. Even the "club officers" had their own parking area. I got the feeling that politicking was their entertainment.

Sorry, we just can't any longer warm up to the organization.
Well said!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #44

We are FMCA members and have been for the past seven years. The value to us is first the mail forwarding service, second the discount on tire purchases, third the monthly mag, forth the rallies. Not a lot of money each year to stay in touch with a significant RV organization.
Regards,
JimB

Old 07-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=Wayne M;1628252]it supports the RV Industry and provides information to the RV'ing community.

I have to agree.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see a sign that says not accessible to motorhomes, not no RVs. It could save someone from backing out. Seems friendly enough.
US Navy Vet.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
That's the only reason I joined was for the discount on Michelin tires. I ended up buying a set of Toyo's for less than the FMCA discounted price on Michelin's.

Sammie
Why not just join the Michelin Advantage Program direct and avoid the FMCA dues, or did I just let the cat out of the bag???

stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #48

I returned from Wy at the FMCA rally, It was the last one I will camp at. I have never seen such a mumble jumble of uncoordinated messes I will not ever work as a Vol ever again either. I have been a vol for about a dozen rallys and my fmca number is only low 5 digits so I have been there and done that.

I will continue to be a member so I can belong to a chapter but that is all. We were spotlighted in the mag about 20 years ago and it said I will retire and full time. It was right and you do meet the nicest mostly, and also some of the nastiest people just like anywhere else.

The best thing currently about motor coaching is the web forms are great information sources.....
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #49

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

Such a friendly place, reminds me of some campgrounds that have more negative signs than TSA at the airport.
OK, now go take some pictures of the Round Bottom Road camping facility which is owned by FMCA
Old 07-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #50

Gulf Streamers Club
Not judging, just noting the irony. Why didn't they make room for RV's? That's their business, sorta like a hospital banning sick people. I don't belong, I sort of follow Groucho Marx's lead, "I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member".
If I take pictures of the FMCA Round Bottom Rd. Campground shall I include their neighbors, the Brewer Cote asphalt plant or the Sardina Cement plant? Round Bottom Rd. has hundreds of trucks on it each day, very picturesque campsite!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We just joined this year - specifically for the Michelin discount. I checked pretty much everywhere within 50 miles of my house and nobody could come close to the price I got through FMCA. We saved just under $100 per tire, or $600 total.

We haven't joined a local chapter (yet) but it's something we might do in the future. Right now we belong to a Good Sam chapter (we're Life members) and a non-affiliated camping group so that fills up 2 weekends each month.

In the past we've been to two FMCA rallies, but not as FMCA members. Fleetwood used to have a program called Fleetwood Ambassadors - we would volunteer to work a total of 5 hours in their display area and they paid the rally fees for us, and gave us Exhibitor badges. At the time we had a fifth wheel, so we were pretty conspicuous parked among thousands of motorhomes! We enjoyed the rallies and will go back, as members, when our schedules work out.

Is the membership worth the cost? Well, we paid $50 and got back $550 within a week - to us, it's worth it!
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:54 AM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The key to a successful association is.... association. In FMCA, this is achieved through chapter membership. Without the chapters, the only connection you have as a member is with the national office. What the heck is that? Well, there are a few things, like mail service, etc. Oh, and if you're passing through Cincinnati, you can stay a couple of nights free at the little RV park they've constructed behind the mail service building. (I say that seriously-- check it out, its very nice.) But the crux is social. Its the chapters that build camaraderie, and its the camaraderie that ultimately keeps the association alive.

We've only been members for a year, but we plan to renew. We've been to one rally, which we found both enjoyable and useful. We enjoy the magazine. We've noted the internal problems mentioned by others here, but we've also seen the recognition of these issues by the association executives, resulting in not only an assiduous recruiting drive, but also the internal debate concerning membership requirements. There is, it appears, some recognition within the leadership that opening the membership beyond motorhome owners could benefit the association in many ways. On the other hand, such a change would alter the very identity of the group. Clearly the debate will continue, but the fact that it has been joined is the salient point here.

So, we'll renew. We belong to each of the large RV organizations-- FMCA, Escapees, and Good Sam. Each has their own character, and their own place in the scheme of things.

Its not just about the money. If you insist on assigning nickel and dime values to these things, you'll wind up with nothing but a bunch of two-bit outfits.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:41 AM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Joe, the magazine is worth the cost to me. Plus I've met a bunch of really nice folks at chapter and national rallies.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:27 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Not judging, just noting the irony. Why didn't they make room for RV's? That's their business, sorta like a hospital banning sick people. I don't belong, I sort of follow Groucho Marx's lead, "I donít care to belong to any club that will have me as a member".
If I take pictures of the FMCA Round Bottom Rd. Campground shall I include their neighbors, the Brewer Cote asphalt plant or the Sardina Cement plant? Round Bottom Rd. has hundreds of trucks on it each day, very picturesque campsite!
We've all seen your no RVs sign, that's not there, What's your point? Now they need your approval on their parking and campground as well. Let it go and move on. It's very simple, don't join, and avoid your disappointment.
US Navy Vet.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #55

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I tried that and NEVER got an answer back from the chapter I was interested in. Still haven't found a chapter but that's because I quit trying.

Hi Larry and Rita!!

If you'll notice our number, it's 47302, left over from the free membership my parents got when they bought their Foretravel. We were able to use their old number when they quit RV'ing by adding a "S" (for Son) so now it's F47302S
We joined FMCA several years ago and have never regretted it. We have been to several of their International rallies and always enjoyed the experiences. (Although sometimes, the weather didn't cooperate.) The seminars WILL teach even those of you who are "experts" something new. You can also buy "that special item" from vendors, usually at discounted rally pricing. Entertainment ranges from good to terrible, depending on your tastes (Some of us like Country & Western music, some don't. Some like comedy routines, some don't. But, after all, doesn't diversity make life interesting?)

But what makes your FMCA membership SPECIAL is the opportunity to find, join and PARTICIPATE in a Local Chapter(s)! During our search, we contacted several local chapters. We "trial" camped at those we thought we might join. We eliminated one chapter from consideration using this method, because they were too structured and snobbish. We finally chose Bay Area TravelerS (BATS) and found fun and friendship. Our website is: www.batschapter.blogspot.com , if you wish to "check us out".

So, don't give up. Find and check out local FMCA chapters. Join and participate. You WILL be rewarded.

Jim & Shirley Neil
Lillian, AL
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I've lived for 30 years about 2 miles from their corporate office. I've always considered it ironic that their driveway says, "No RVs"
No, Mr Flinn, it does not. It says 'Not motorhome accessible'... very big difference, unless perhaps you're not a native English speaker, in which case I apologize.

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote