Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2016, 10:20 AM   #1

Your thoughts on the 2017 Coachmen 404RB & Fleetwood Pace Arrow LXE 38K?

The MSRP shown below for the coaches is based on them being set up the same way.

Coachman Cross Country 404RB $278,200.00
Freightliner XCR series chassis Wheelbase: 266 Length: 41.9 ft.
Coachman has made a mid year change to the Cross Country. If anyone knows what those changes are Id appreciate you filling us in. I think their mostly cosmetic but Im not sure.

Fleetwood Pace Arrow LXE 38K $264,050.00
Freightliner XCM series chassis Wheelbase: 252 Length: 38.7.5 ft.

Both coaches have 340HP Cummins ISB 6.7L engine and Allison 6 speed 2500 transmissions.

Anything you can tell me about these coaches would be appreciated. Ive not read a lot about them on the forums, which is maybe a good thing. It generally doesnt take long to hear the bad things.

Thank you

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2016, 04:49 PM   #2

Build quality of both of those companies is not high.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:19 PM   #3
WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomDream View Post

LOL. Red Bay is no different than Elkhart.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...
WDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:42 PM   #4

Wow guys, No worries about saying too much!
Old 09-02-2016, 09:53 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi, we just took delivery on a 2017 Pace Arrow 33D, which is a new model for Pace Arrow but a restyle of the Excursion on the XCS Chassis so the shorter sister of the 38 LXE. Very pleased with the build quality and performance of this model, and can only assume the LXE would be even better. We were able to get 26% off MSRP on an in stock local unit after some haggling so make them sharpen their pencil! Good luck!
Old 09-02-2016, 10:52 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomDream View Post

Agree. Very low end, on par with THOR cheap products.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:56 PM   #7

I thought Coachman was left alone after the Forest River bought them in 2008 and they've been building a good coach in their own facilities?

Same is true of Fleetwood, although I've heard that American Coach is not the coach builder it use to be.

I've talked with Cross Country and Pace Arrow owners and to the person, they have said good things about their coaches. Maybe the only real answer is in what so many have said "all coaches have their issues"! Maybe that's something we can all agree on?

Do you know there are even Thor Palazzo owner who love their coach! Now who would have ever guessed that?
Old 09-03-2016, 01:11 PM   #8
WDW

Your thoughts on the 2017 Coachmen 404RB & Fleetwood Pace Arrow LXE 38K?

You're right Coachmen plant 310 continues to manufacture all class A units in a legacy facility.

Having personally toured the facility, meeting with both the plant manager, the national service advisor we feel that they do a quality job.

What's disheartening is that you have not received the kind of constructive feedback that you were looking for about specific points. I can't answer diesel questions other than to say that having witnessed sports coaches being built I believe they are well appointed and certainly are built by individuals who care about the job they're doing.

What I find most difficult are the two previous comments that lack substance in their response and simply assign certain manufacturers to a lower estate category.

This is both an insult to the people who build them, the investors who support them and the customers that buy them.

Unfortunately there seems to be a degree of snobbery in this entire area and it's not always found on factual information. If opinions were offered and substantiated with facts rather using a flamethrower to create an indictment about a particular brand it might be worth reading. I don't particularly care for some of the brands either.

I'm not sure you'll find a lot of negative comments anywhere about Coachmen class A units. Primarily because most owners are pretty satisfied. Secondly they don't actually build a lot of them. There's only between four and six units built every day. And that's across both the gas and diesel platforms.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...
WDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:23 PM   #9

I think that's some good council WDW! Easy to paint with a broad brush, much more difficult to color within the lines. If I've found nothing else It's to see who's driving what and send a PM if it's a coach of interest.

They will give it to you straight and I've never found a one who wasn't happy to provide helpful information! Some who go way out of their way with interior pictures with the slides in etc.

It's a fine group of folks on this forum!
Old 09-03-2016, 03:38 PM   #10

I looked at a lot. We all have our needs/wants and reasons for our choices. I got a 2016 Pace Arrow lxe 38K. Love it. When I get the TruCenter in I think it will be perfect for me. The build quality is fine, the customer support I get is great. I know some Newmar and Winnebago owners who had many more issues. Don't know any Coachman owners.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:41 PM   #11

Hey BigBad, what's a TruCenter?
Old 09-05-2016, 06:51 PM   #12

TruCenter is a Blue Ox steering stabilizer. It is adjustable on the fly for varying wind and road conditions. Makes the driving load factor lower, a lot lower in some conditions. My brother in law who is an over-the-road driver with his own truck has it on his big truck and loves it. He only does about 200,000 miles a year hauling special liquids and says it's more than just a nice thing for him.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:07 PM   #13

Sports Coach Cross Country 404rb

Evening, I have the 404rb bought new from MHSRV in Texas July 2015 its a 2016. Biggest newly mistake I made was flying in on a Friday to pick up, if I ever buy new again I'll arrive on a Monday to ensure plenty of time to look over and get things fixed. Like most folks that buy new, or so I hear, I had plenty of issues but to its credit Coachman took care of them with no out of pocket costs to me. That said its been a journey.

Drivers side slide for bedroom out of alignment causing gouges under the bed.

Two screws that were too long causing rear AC to short and not work, not good in Las Vegas in the Summer.

Screw fell out of drivers side slide top on drive back from California causing it to blow up like a parachute, used wire ties to secure it until I could get it to the dealer for repair.

Inverter went out, resulting in batteries being suspect. Coachman paid for replacement Batteries in addition to the inverter.

Levelers not properly leveling, they reset the system so far so good.

Windshield washer not spraying large enough pattern to clean windshield. They've replaced everything but the pump and now thats on order and will hopefully cure the issue.

No rear camera audio, after about 10 months shop found that while the correct camera was on the coach it hadn't been connected and no wires run to the drivers console also the installed system didn't support and didn't have required connections. Again Coachman stepped up new system with all required wiring etc installed.

Other small issues like generator hours not matching on dash and generator.

While none of this cost me money it cost time and frustration, the coach was basicly of no use from February to July this year. I'm still working so all the weekend trips we had planned this summer were lost and that makes the wife unhappy and we all know where that leads.

In all I really like and enjoy the coach, Im hoping I'm done with with bugs and can start to enjoy. I paid around $186,000 last year their web site is showing the 17's in the low $190's last I looked. Hope this helps, good luck and happy trails.

Don & Myong
Old 09-06-2016, 11:28 PM   #14

I love the floorplan of the 38K. Just make sure you check the towing capacity and GCWR/GVWR as I remember the marketing flyers pointing to a pretty close to overloaded coach without much inside but a full fuel tank/water tanks.

clink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, fleetwood, pace arrow, coachmen