Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #85

Carolina Campers
Because our driveway slopes downhill our MH isn't near level when parked at home which negates the opportunity to pre-cool the fridge. I keep several ice packs in the freezer at home, put them in the RV fridge when we leave. Helps cool the fridge down quicker. When we get the fridge cool, I move them over to the freezer side to re-freeze. If we stock up at the grocery store I'll put them back in the fridge to help it cool back down from the stocking process.
rocknrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob
I have clothespins for the TV antenna,coffee pot strap and anything else that has to be stored before moving.Antenna goes up pin goes on steering wheel.Coffee pot strap unclamped pin on wheel.Antenna down pin on crank when wheel is clear you are ready to roll.
That's a really good idea!
Grandpadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #87

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D
And Dawn isn't a "chemical"?

Do you realize that bleach mixed with water has no disinfectant properties after 24 hours according to our health department? They require tables to be cleaned with bleach water and the bleach must be mixed daily. I use straight peroxide instead.
Where do you get peroxide, the average person can only get very low concentrations, which doesn't have much disinfecting properties. Even if you filled the tank with strictly the peroxide you can buy at the store(no water) the concentration would be too low to do any real disinfecting not to mention awfully pricey.
Erlingiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #88

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner
These are some Tips and Tricks I have learned over the years. Some can be used in the house, shop and garage. Most are common sense tips that can be modified to suit your needs. Feel free to add to or modify what I have posted.

* Those 12X10" plastic pans the hospital sends home with you are good for storing things in a motor home
* Use a long piece of carpet remnant to keep your dump hose from getting holes when you drag it across the dirt or cement to the dump hole
* Those cheap AC detectors that light up and buzz are great for finding hot AC wires or circuits
* A baby door makes a great pet door to keep your pet from roaming in your motor home
* Mini doggie tennis balls work good to keep the wipers off the windshield and prevent flattening out
* Install a weather-proof AC outlet in you generator compartment if it doesn't have one
* I haven't found anything that affects a used saline solution bottle; use one for dish detergent, bleach mix, alcohol, solvent, oil, etc
* Sugar dispensers can be use for sprinkling sugar on cereal, etc and won't get on your counter top like a spoon can
* Put small pet treats in a small bottle with a half moon cut-out in the plastic lid. Use Cheerios for treats
* A short strip of double sided Velcro makes a good cord shortener
* WD-40 is a lot cheaper by the gallon and can be used in a plastic trigger spray bottle
* Canned air works for more things than cleaning dust out of keyboards
* Make your own brackets from angle iron or aluminum from a hardware store
* Pocket protectors are great for storing Q-tips, tooth pics and other small objects in the galley or bathroom
* Use muffin pans to keep track of small parts or screws
* Put a PC fan in a utility trailer vent to help exhaust the hot air
* Use side panels and tops from a computer or other desks to make small tables or cabinets for your motor home
* Use coffee creamer for a milk substitute or cocoa thickener
* Ammo boxes make good water-tight tool or storage boxes
* Tackle boxes also make good tool boxes with separate compartments
* Used office carpet tiles are great for bathrooms or small areas like entrance steps
* Cut to fit and Velcro foil backed sun screens to windows and overhead vents to keep the heat & cold out/in
* Use dry erase pens to write reminders on mirrors; like the last time you took a pill or something that needs to be fixed
* Use a "P" clip or a wire retainer to hold your dry erase pen nearby
* Take a cordless phone out to your motor home when working on it
* Alcohol works great as a glass cleaner. You can buy de-natured alcohol by the gallon from a hardware store
* A spice rack works great as a pill rack
Don't use denatured alcohol, read the label, 91% rubbing alcohol works just as well, and the label is much less scary.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #89

Can't fix stupid

AS it's been said before you just can't fix STUPID !!!!!!!!
HUMAN FECES IS FULL OF BAD THINGS. Why do you think it's not used for fertilizer. Go talk to anyone who works in a waste water treatment plant it will scare the crap out of you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buki View Post
I can not imagine why anyone would ever close a grey water valve. I mean cmon... this is for the most part sterilized water innundated with detergents and hot water. And now to the black tank. That tank is loaded with the perfect mix of water, chemicals and organic material. I mean, think about it, you have no problem dumping hundreds of pounds of manure on your yard and flowerbeds. Simply unhook your sewer hose, if you ever hooked it up in the first place, and drive to the nearest interstate rest stop where thousands of trucks have already dumped thousands of pounds of [moderator edit]. In fact, we never close our blank tank valve or gray valve. Spraying a single load of pee or doo-do on an interstate is NOT environmentally unfriendly. C'mon dudes...the whole process is ultimate recycling. What goes in your body has to come out. Let the animals do the next step.
Traveler52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #90

I buy de-natured alcohol by the gallon for cleaning things around the shop. It would be silly for me to go out and buy 91% just to clean glass.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #91

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by buki
I can not imagine why anyone would ever close a grey water valve. I mean cmon... this is for the most part sterilized water innundated with detergents and hot water. And now to the black tank. That tank is loaded with the perfect mix of water, chemicals and organic material. I mean, think about it, you have no problem dumping hundreds of pounds of manure on your yard and flowerbeds. Simply unhook your sewer hose, if you ever hooked it up in the first place, and drive to the nearest interstate rest stop where thousands of trucks have already dumped thousands of pounds of [moderator edit]. In fact, we never close our blank tank valve or gray valve. Spraying a single load of pee or doo-do on an interstate is NOT environmentally unfriendly. C'mon dudes...the whole process is ultimate recycling. What goes in your body has to come out. Let the animals do the next step.
Your black tank works like a septic tank, it needs to fill with water and waste, then emptied when full to prevent dried crud to build up. The grey tank keeps your sewer hose sparkling clean when emptied after your black. Finally, human waste is nasty. Manure is not straight from the cows bottom, bacteria has turned it into compost, no longer poop. It is illegal in most states to dump black waste on state property other than designated areas. Oh and I'd kick your @ss if you took a crap on my mh.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrun View Post
Because our driveway slopes downhill our MH isn't near level when parked at home which negates the opportunity to pre-cool the fridge. I keep several ice packs in the freezer at home, put them in the RV fridge when we leave. Helps cool the fridge down quicker. When we get the fridge cool, I move them over to the freezer side to re-freeze. If we stock up at the grocery store I'll put them back in the fridge to help it cool back down from the stocking process.
How much of a slope? Mine's at 5° and the fridge works fine. I don't think fridges are as sensitive to being level as people make them out to be. If mama's happy, it's level.

Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall anyone posting that they had to re-level to get their fridge to work.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #93

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I buy de-natured alcohol by the gallon for cleaning things around the shop. It would be silly for me to go out and buy 91% just to clean glass.
I understand, I used to use it all the time, I'm simply pointing out to those that dont have/use it regularly, that they can spend 1.50 for a quart of 91 versus 20 for a gallon of denatured and get the same effect minus the health warnings.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #94

If you want nit-pic, I didn't say to use denatured on glass. I just said: "Alcohol works great as a glass cleaner".

Old 05-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #95

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
If you want nit-pic, I didn't say to use denatured on glass. I just said: "Alcohol works great as a glass cleaner".
That it does
Old 05-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #96

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
  • Mylar scrub pads and black streak remover work wonders to remove glued on bugs, both on the windshield and the front cap.
  • After you dump the black water, fill the toilet bowl to the rim and let-er-rip, 3 times before closing the dump valve.
  • Get a 2 or 3 foot piece of sch 40 PVC pipe and rip it into thirds, stack them together and drill a 5/16" hole through all 3 at both ends, 1" in from the end. Insert a bolt with a wing nut at each end and you have a great sewer hose support, now in storage configuration. Remove the bolts and reassemble end to end and you have a great sewer hose support if you have a half dozen pieces of 2x4 cut into squares to support it at each end. Assemble only as many as you need.
  • Install a trickle-start charger to keep the start battery charged while you are camped for long periods. Also your 10 watt solar charger will then keep everything reasonably charged as long as you have removed all parasitic loads before putting it in storage.
  • Reach in through the screen door slide and turn off the auto step retractor when you put the MH in storage.
  • Get a propane extender hose and run your gas grill off your main tank.
  • Replace your old heavy CRT TV sets with a new lightweight flat panel TV.
  • Get a very mall footprint printer for your laptop.
  • Install a SeeLevel tank monitor to replace the 3 light factory black/grey/water/propane level gauges.
  • The block end of a medium duty zip tie drawn into a small loop will slide down your awning track to hold lights, chimes, etc.
  • When you retract your awning, don't forget to flip the butterfly clamps on the arms, and then lift the arm up to click the rolled up awning into place.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #97

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
  • Get a 2 or 3 foot piece of sch 40 PVC pipe and rip it into thirds, stack them together and drill a 5/16" hole through all 3 at both ends, 1" in from the end. Insert a bolt with a wing nut at each end and you have a great sewer hose support, now in storage configuration. Remove the bolts and reassemble end to end and you have a great sewer hose support if you have a half dozen pieces of 2x4 cut into squares to support it at each end. Assemble only as many as you need.
I should have mentioned to use 3" diameter PVC pipe. I couldn't edit the post the next morning.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #98

I still can't picture what you are building.

You only have an hour to edit or delete a post.