Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2016, 12:34 PM   #15

Mutual

I'm the wife - I spent most of my adult life tent camping and when I met dh he was all for it. We took a cross country trip in the middle of a heat wave and that was the end of tent camping.

We started off with a travel trailer and dh always talked about getting a class A. It was a distant dream until I sat down and did the math. Dh never wanted to be on a budget until I showed him what having a budget could do. We are getting our first class A gasser at the end of the month and it will be paid off in two years. Just in time for retirement. We weren't going to buy until we had a bag full of cash but we decided to not put the dream on hold.

-Tim's Wife
TravelingTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2016, 12:41 PM   #16

I had wanted an RV forever. about 2009 we rented a class C from a national rental chain and went to Maine. It was a good trip, but she didn't like the bed, thought it was crowded and didn't think we should ever get our own A few years later, we went and looked at a WGO View and test drove it. She thought it was okay, but we'd never use it, so no.

A year and a half ago we were coming up 95 North back from a trip to N Carolina or such and were passing a huge RV dealership right on 95 (McGeorge's Rolling Hills) and I said I'd like to poke around and, yes, I knew we'd never get one. So we did and looked at all the gassers they had below 34 feet.

a few months later, Winnebago came out with the Brave/Tribute model so I was looking in the RV Trader web site for a dealer near us that might have one and a local dealer had the one I thought might be nice. The Wife agreed to go for a ride and look. I asked the dealer to see it and the sales rep took us out to it in the golf cart and the wife looked around inside and shrugged. I asked to look at everything they had under 34 feet and we looked at a few others. She stepped into the ACE and immediately said, "I like this floor plan, it makes sense". We looked at another one or two and then thanked the sales rep and went home.

A few weeks later was an RV show, and she agreed to come with me and poke around again. We looked at everything we could look at and her comments were that we should not buy anything over $100K if we were ever going to do it because we wouldn't know if we liked it.

The next week we went to the RV dealer to look at the Thor again, as she wanted to know what the actual cost would be and see the Winnebago Brave again. We saw the sales guy again and when we looked at everything within 34 feet again, she stepped into the ACE, turned to the sales rep and said, "how much is this, we're pretty serious"....

When I got off of the ground and dusted myself off, she was telling him we had been to the RV show and wanted to know if that was the best they could do...The sales guy said they could do a little better perhaps and when we sat down and wrote up the one we'd looked at, my wife said, "I want a new one that hasn't been walked in by everyone in the colors that I want". So we ordered a new one, in our colors, with three of the same model on the lot for less than the show price and she even let me add on a dish system.....

Needless to say I still don't know how this happened, and even with the issues we've had (vibration, king pins, generator), I'm totally grateful and flabbergasted.

We're planning our next big summer trip --- already have two long weekends planned and more to come...
Old 05-01-2016, 12:46 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Truck camper =her idea (lasted 3 mos)
26' trailer = her idea
35' trailer=her idea (kid getting bigger)
DW decided didn't like pulling trailers, lets get a MH
Bigger is better = my idea
35' Bounder=her idea
40' Discovery-my idea no objections, she looked, she sat, I wrote cheque!
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:59 PM   #18

While I'd say getting a motor home was both our ideas, I think my wife is probably the driving force behind it. She also pressed to get a DP because she knew no matter how we tried to rationalize that a gas MH would be good enough, she said she knew I'd never be happy if we didn't go diesel. Unless the powerball drops in our laps, the current coach should be the last one (at least for a few years).
Old 05-01-2016, 01:12 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Involved her from the beginning as to what she needed to be "happy". From there we started looking. Our best time in January was (2) two days at Tampa RV show. At the end we had decided on what would be a major investment for us and are very happy together.

Happy wife, happy life. Upset wife, miserable life.....
Old 05-01-2016, 01:20 PM   #20

Carolina Campers
Mostly my idea. We did talk about full timing when dh was a contract engineer but it never happened.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:29 PM   #21

The wife asked "what do you want for your Birthday". I said a class A M/H. She said "lets go look". We both agreed on the ACE, and she paid cash in full. I have an awesome wife
Ted
Old 05-01-2016, 01:32 PM   #22
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
She wanted to know where I hid the pot I had been smoking!!

and I don't smoke!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:47 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
I didn't, it was her idea.
Ditto!

I knew we were about to retire and wanted to do some traveling. I was focused on finding a really nice vacation property we could buy and use, and rent out when we weren't using it. I found a couple gorgeous properties - a large A-frame 15 minutes outside of Vale on 4 acres of wooded land, and a 10-acre "plantation" with a main house, unfinished guest house and private beach access... in Hawaii!

But the more I looked and found, the more convinced she became that she didn't want to go to the same place over and over; she wanted to travel. That's when she said, "What do you think about buying an RV instead?"

Boom, that was it. We never looked back and we've never regretted a moment of it. Of course, once she had the idea her work was done; she left it to me to do all the necessary research - took about a year, but we wouldn't even be here if it weren't for her.

I love my wife

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:45 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
RV shopping became my hobby. I was always looking, and we would stop in to local RV lots on the weekends and browse.

I shared with her the advantages of a diesel pusher. Yes they cost more, but I will look for an older model in good condition.

As we continued to look, she started to recognize the quality of some units. She also developed a list of must haves.

Both kids will be gone this year. We talked about tailgating at our son's college football games/weightlifting meets and camping close enough to spend some time with our daughter.

Also planned a trip to see her folks, they are not getting any younger (and both mine are gone).

So when a very clean, 10 year old unit became available in the next town over, she liked the floorplan and she knew I did my homework on the mechanicals. Everything just clicked into place.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:55 PM   #25
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I had been camping since I was five years old. My wife and I started dating at 18, camping in my camper shell almost immediately and we bought our first Lance camper at 21. We've been married 40 years and my two daughters camped with us since toddlers. They are now married with their own kids. They both own 30' Cougar TT's. For us, we're into a third generation of camping.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:04 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
I'm the wife. It was my idea to start with a pop-up when our kids were really small. Mutual idea to move up to a hybrid. Then as the kids grew so did our TT again mutual decision. By now my envy of Class A rigs was palpable. The set up and tear down with our TT was a royal pain. I'd watch as the big rigs would pull in and ... ta da! all level and they're out enjoying themselves. So I started doing lots of research. We'd attend RV shows again and again looking at the beautiful class A rigs. Now my research focused on gas or diesel. After a few years, lots of dreaming and research we began our search. So the decision was mutual!
Old 05-01-2016, 03:56 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
There's no question that the purchase of our coach was one step on the road to fulfillment of MY dream. But that's not to say that my wife has opposed the purchase.

We were "car/tent camping" at a state park in Northern Michigan 20+ years ago on one of our many camping vacations with our then very young sons when a guy pulled in across the road from us with a gorgeous DP Motor home. He and I got to talked as he described how he and his wife travel across the country 8-10 months out of the year in their coach. He gave me a tour of his rig. I knew right then and there that someday I was going to have one and do that when I retired! It was the day that my dream began.

I never lost sight of it - and have spent the last 20 years dreaming and scheming about how to make it a reality for me/us. A good bit of the scheming has been around how to sell it to my DW. The idea of "camping" was never the issue as far as my wife was concerned - we've camped extensively including numerous backpacking trips. The idea of "hitting the road" for extended periods of time has been the tough part of the sale. Personally, I suspect that the "mom" in her struggles with the reality that she, I and our now young adult children won't be living under the same roof again ... ever.

10 or so years ago - we both agreed that an RV was in our future. The real question was when would that happen. She wanted to buy something then - but that was at a time that the kids were heavily involved in school and sports and both her and I were working full time plus+ in our day jobs. I resisted a purchase at the time - I saw little sense in spending money on something that we'd likely use just a few days/nights each year. Then she wanted to try renting ... so all four of us could go for a "family" vacation in it. Again, BIG resistance from me on that idea! Our 2,500 sq ft home was barely big enough for an alpha male (me! ) and two alpha male wannabes (our two teenage sons)! Jamming all that testosterone into a rental unit for week ... well, no good could come from that. It would have likely killed the whole thing.

Finally, in the fall of 2014 we decided to rent a Class A for a weeklong trip with just the two of us - and did roughly 800 miles around Michigan's Lower Peninsula. We had terrible weather ... cold and rainy for a week. But the rental unit did good and we had a ball hanging out. On drive home on the last day - she said "I think I'd really like to do more of this!". In December of 2014 - we decided we were officially "in the market" - and in February of 2016 came across the coach we now own.

We took possession of our coach in March 2015 - and since that time have spent more than 160 nights in it. To date most of our travels have been short trips (4-5 days in length) relatively close to home. Our longest trip was a hair over 6 weeks this past January/February down to Florida.

We're slowly but steadily transitioning into the RV lifestyle. Our trips to date have gotten us comfortable with the mechanics of living out of the coach. We're both getting used to the ebb and flow of what coach life is like in a "day to day living" sense (as opposed to the "weekend away" sort of thing. We got a good taste of it being "just the two of us" during our Florida trip and both enjoyed it.

She retired at the beginning of January and now has time to travel. I continue to work my day gig on a full-time basis ... but have my employer's blessing to work remote from the coach pretty much anytime I please. Our current plan is form me to work remotely from the coach for another 2 years as we continue our slow transition into the lifestyle. We're planning on heading out to AZ in September for 3 months to visit my oldest son who's relocating there for his job ... we'll be back in Michigan for the holidays and then leaving for Florida a few days after the first of the year.

Were it solely my decision - I'd sell the house tomorrow and full-time for a yet to be determined stretch of time. However, she's not ready to sell our "sticks and bricks" just yet. She still not 100% comfortable with the idea of not having "house" to come back to ... but she's making progress on that front.

DW has come to realize that even though we may be on the road - she's able to stay in touch with friends and family (one of her biggest worries!). Better still, we got the opportunity to visit with 4 couples we haven't seen in ages because they had retired to Florida on our recent trip. Many of our long weekends have been trips with her sister and her family - which both of the girls have loved. She's done a couple of "girls trips" with the coach at nearby campgrounds (I drive it out and set it up - then drive home in the toad) leaving her and her girlfriends to enjoy a few days away. She's at that point that the coach is starting to feel as much as "home" as our S&B house does. The fact that all of her girlfriends regularly tell her they wish they had such an opportunity - is certainly helping make my job of selling the plan much easier!

We're fortunate that we're in a position to be able to make the transition into the RV lifestyle slowly. Regular "returns" to our S&B house is lessening the stress of an immediate jump into fulltiming. I've now got her talking about the fact that we need to start getting rid of stuff around the house ... and making plans for a couple of garage sales this summer. In another year ... I won't be the least bit surprised if she suggests we sell the house as if the idea just dawned on her! ;-)

To quote John "Hannibal" Smith of "A Team" fame - "I love it when a plan comes together!
Old 05-01-2016, 07:11 PM   #28

I started out camping with the Cub Scouts and the Boy Scouts. Later as I got older Dad and I rented Scotty TT and would go to the lake to fish. After I completely retired I ask the DW about us getting a tent and start camping. She informed me that when her parents went camping in tents she stayed home. On our way home one day we passed by a start up company that went to auctions and fixed up and sold all kinds. I said lets stop and just look around. This was in 2009. We walked into a 2005 35 ft Georgie Boy gasser with the V10 engine. While we were looking at it another couple walked in and the wife said she liked it. After we got to the car she said you better go put an offer on it. The owner counter with 2,000 above what I offered. I said lets split the difference and he agreed.
Three years later camping with 2 dogs and a cat she said this rv is not big enough. I want one bigger and with 4 slides. Later she asked if I had been looking for a bigger one. Really didn't plan on getting rid of the Georgie Boy.

The following year I was bored and looking at different sites and this 2008 Thor Mandalay just popped up. Don't know how the site popped up because I was looking at a different site. After looking over the rv I called her back and said what do you think? She looked at it and said I want it. The rv was on consignment. I looked at NADA and saw the low book. I put a bid in lower than that because of the counter offer I figured would come. On the 3rd day the company called me up and wanted to know when I wanted to come and pick it up. I asked for the counter offer and they said they took my offer. Three weeks after we brought it home the owner of the dealership called me up and said he had a couple there who wanted the rv and would give us a great profit. I told DW and she said flat out no. We have no plans of ever selling the house. We want a home base.

Now our daughter and her partner have bought a class C and they camp with us.

Isn't camping life great!!!!!!!!!

Tags
motorhome