Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-04-2016, 05:46 AM   #57
Ours was a 37 year project and I was the family joke. I always said when I retire I was going to buy a mh. 2011 I retired DW and I bought a new bounder and live happy ever since.

Wildcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2016, 05:56 AM   #58
We were like most and started with tents, pop ups then a tt that we shared with SIL & family. After the kids were grown, sold the tt and dropped out of camping for a while. Then she came up with the idea out of the blue to rent a class A for a vacation. Two years later, we owned our first mh. 15 years later we are on our third. All said and done, she started it. I pushed the two upgrades. Guess we are both hooked now. We also gave the bug to SIL & BIL. Now we travel together on occasion.

znt1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:58 AM   #59
True story
Back in 84 , I said to the wife it would be nice to have a little camper to go camping with, she lite up with smile , off we went and found a nice 17 foot tt , got it home all was well. Came home after work and all my stuff was packed in it, hooked up to the truck , wife said now you have a place to live, that was the end of my marriage .
Now new wife loves the bus we built , and can't wait to full time(with me)
Life can surprise you , but things work out
gbstewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:33 AM   #60
Tiffin Owners Club
my wife wanted a new Kitchen so I bought her one. it just happened to be in our Tiffin
Steve & Sue (Sadie & Zoey)
Tiffin 2016 32SA
smd1x1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:58 AM   #61
National RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
I didn't, it was her idea.
Same here and she was tickled to death that I wanted to buy a motor coach also.
1998 National Seabreeze 1330 Limited Chevrolet P37 chassis 7.4 Vortec 2014 Jeep JKU Sport Toad
Me, Beautiful DW, sometimes kids & grandkids
m.elliott63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:53 AM   #62
We began RVing in 1980 with a popup, and progressed to a TT thru the 80's to a motorhome in 1990. After a couple of years we regressed to a TT and up until 2009 we used them 2 or 3 times per year. Since then I have mentioned to my wife that I wanted to buy a MH when I retire, which we have tentatively planned for Jan 2017.

She recently began showing me MH's on Craigslist and a couple of weeks ago we went to look at some. We ended up buying a 1994 Coachmen Catalina Class A. If she had not taken the initiative we would not have one now.

J. Frank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:16 PM   #63
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
My wife asked me to pose this question and I read it to her in advance to insure I asked the question as she intended.

She assumes that most of us boys had the idea first. And the question is;

How did you wife initially feel when you brought up your desire for a motorhome?
That it would be better than the tent we had been using for the last ??? years.

Then I went out and bought our first 11.5' camper in 78.

We both planned and bought the second 11.5 camper in 93.

When we bought the first MH last Summer, I gave it a once over and said to my wife, if you like it go ahead and buy it.

I'm may be a slow learner, but it has finally occurred to me that if she is happy all will be well.

dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:40 PM   #64
Winnebago Owners Club
Happily no wife = Happy Life.

I buy whatever the hell I want! Lol

alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:25 PM   #65
Camped in a tent with her. We even went cross country once with it.

Stopped camping as we got older. After our first daughter arrived, I recommended we get something small that would get us up off the ground.

We went to a local RV dealer. We started looking at pop ups, then small hybrids, then small hard-sided TTs. We popped our heads into a 31-foot bunk house TT. She liked it. She said we could even do the beach in this. I told the salesman to write it up quick before she changed her mind -LOL. I actually thought it would save me a ton of money -HA! The joke was on me?

It wasn't long after the TT when we both realized we wanted a motor home. We wanted to get up and go to the bathroom or get a snack while rolling. We wanted to stop for lunch and not have to sweat our butts off. We wanted to be able to lot dock en route to a destination without exiting and re-entering. We thought (rightfully so) that the kids (#2 came along before the MH) would travel better in the MH.

So, after I suckered her into that first TT, the motor home feeling was mutual!
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA
2013 Jeep JKU Toad
cj23andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:32 PM   #66
We've travelled and camped for over 30 years. She's always loved it. She's still trying to get me to buy my decades-long dream of a Diesel Pusher. I told her if I did we wouldn't have money for wine. She's still pondering that one!
Lovey & Thurston - Cali Foothills
2001 HR Vacationer (SS Minnow) - Gasser!
Obviously A Lowly and Inferior MH
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:52 PM   #67
Monaco Owners Club
At the time my girlfriend and me started tent camping. Got married. We migrated up to camping out of the back of our suburban, even bought a tent that coupled to the back of it for a living area. Traveled up to Bar Harbor Maine, to Northern Wisconsin, Florida, and the Grand Canyon roughing it.

We then started to look for a small ~25' Class C. My wife was scared that driving something bigger was impossible. One weekend she was out of town in 1997 I happen to see an ad in the paper about an auction, a local RV dealer was liquidating stock. I went to the auction without telling her. Ending up buying a brand New 31' Class C. She was thrilled. She used it more then me traveling to dog shows.

Then on a trip to Florida in 2008 I happen to see a Class A on Ebay. We took time to go look at it and ultimately bought it. 2002 Windsor, a very nice coach that we still have. We try to take one long trip a year and use it on shorter ones. Still enjoy going out.

So I guess it was a mutual decision to go the RV lifestyle, it suits us.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:29 AM   #68
We started out tent camping our of our two seat sports car. Moved up to Tent Camping out of our truck, towing water toys. Moved to a Class C to stop sleeping on the ground after a major ant attack. 17 years later, after a nine week trip in the Class C, upgrading to the Class A was a no brainer. She loves it.
Elwood58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:18 AM   #69
Many similar threads, and my story is long. I'll be VERY brief here.

I "camped" in uniform way too much to like it. There was some good times, but mostly not. Wife grew up wealthy (and as you know there is a BIG difference between "rich" and "wealthy"), but the old man was a "camper" and a "boater" (Prevost, and 75' yacht). She liked the bus, but hated the boat (old man forced her, and her three brothers to dive for lobster off Catalina in the winter).

Then MANY years later, our paths crossed, and we decided to get married (with multiple failed marriages behind both of us). She brought a big Malamute in the marriage, and I had two GSDs. We both like to travel, and we like to go to Vegas (example) for shows/dining/parties/shopping, and VERY little gambling.

Dogs were getting very stressed out being in the kennel (or came back with maladies), and one trip in Vegas, I pulled the sheets off the bed in our suite (very well known upscale hotel), after I read some horror stories about fancy hotels, and the lack of cleanliness in them. What I saw on that mattress, made me swear I'll never sleep in any of them again!

A year went by, and we were not going anywhere if we couldn't be back home for the night. We flew to different cities (with dogs), but flew back home at nightfall (it took only one night in the "pet friendly hotel", to realize that "pet friendly" does not mean clean, good smelling, or even carpeted!!).

And then SHE suggested ("an older RV just for the dogs") the change. She wanted a 5er (had one in her past), and I wanted the ClassA. I won.

She loves our DP, and by now agrees that ClassA is better for our way of "camping", than the 5er would be. We seldom stay in one place for more than two nights, and we are constantly on the move. Big bus is just better for that. I also didn't want any slides on my bus. I like to get up in the morning, go for a run with dogs while she makes breakfast, eat, take a shower, start the bus, and drive. No "prep", no slide issues (potentially), nothing to pack........freedom.

She doesn't drive it though (she never flew Cessna either). All the driving is on me, and I like it that way. She "navigates" (and not very well either!), I do the rest.

First trip in our first ClassA was............ TENSE. She was "navigating", I was missing exits/turnoffs, dogs were getting motion sickness (never had that issue in the airplane!).........she said, and I quote...."I will never go on another RV trip with you people!" (meaning me and the "dog people").

And then we were alone on the beach. Grill was hot, Fillet Mignon steaks smelled wonderful, dogs were happily digging/rolling in the sand, single malt tasted great, our awning was out, dinner table set.....and we looked at each other......."I think I like this" she proclaimed. I liked it too.

Except I "needed" bigger, better, faster, ........diesel coach! The rest is history.
1995 Vogue Prima Vista
Danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:25 AM   #70
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
My wife asked me to pose this question and I read it to her in advance to insure I asked the question as she intended.
She assumes that most of us boys had the idea first. And the question is;
How did you wife initially feel when you brought up your desire for a motorhome?
My wife brought the subject up 1st.
'96 Safari

mel s is offline   Reply With Quote