Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2016, 04:55 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
How did you wife initially feel when you brought up your desire for a motorhome?
Thats backwards. My wife had to get me on board. She grew up doing it, I did not. She doesn't express 'wants' very much so it took me a while to understand the extent of her admiration for traveling via coach.

It became a bit clearer after she showed her hand a bit over a year ago. I fly for fun and was in the market to buy a plane, with her approval. I had sign off for a six figure budget for a bird of my own but through a variety of comical events every plane I looked at ended up with the deal falling through. At some point we ended up at an RV show and it dawned on me that she was excitedly looking through rigs that were twice my plane budget. Oh boy ....

After getting a couple of tastes of camping last year (obviously she shares that blame) we brought home a 40' DP a couple of weeks ago. And to be honest, I already know that its in my blood.

John

pilotspike is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2016, 08:37 PM   #72

My wife grew up with a truck camper, oddly enough so did I, wasn't as many options back then I guess. So we started with an 11' slide in truck camper, her idea and she picked which one. The family grew and the truck camper got too small. Went to a fifth wheel with a bunk house, her idea I wanted a toy hauler, I was over ruled. Started looking at diesel pushers after 6 years, she was happy with the fifth wheel and did not want to spend the money. I kept looking and found a used 04 Winnebago journey, full body paint Cat C-7. I was sold, called her and reluctantly got approval. Bought it without her ever seeing it. I was nervous but she ended up loving it, so much that when I tried to sell it and upgrade this year she was not happy. I did it anyway. Had the new to us coach about 8 months now, it's growing on her but she still wants that old Journey back. I do miss it's simplicity and ease of maintenance. I tried to talk her into a toy hauler before our latest coach, not happening she will never again travel in anything but a class a, her words.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:30 PM   #73

To this day she has no interest. I am married solo.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:30 PM   #74

I read this thread and had to ask DW if it was her idea. She laughed and said she could not remember exactly, but thought it was both our ideas.

After 2 years renting TT twice a year for 4th of July and another long weekend, we agreed we would like to have something of our own. A close friend having a 5th wheel, we knew we did not want that because we did not want to keep our small children cooped up in the truck on long trips. We began looking for Class As. Once that was agreed upon, I told her she could decide on the layout and accessories, but I wanted a DP. We both agreed on buying used and best case in Cash! We got our 97 Tradewinds in November and we love it! Have made several trips on it already and we just began renovation on the interior. So, I guess, both our ideas.

Great Thread!
ama009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:51 PM   #75

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My idea. She had no idea - took her totally by surprise. Says it came out of left field. I did a little tent camping years (many years) ago, kind of enjoyed it when the weather cooperated. Since then I always said my idea of roughing it was an older Holiday Inn. Wife never did any camping at all. Anyway, I've always had some amount of interest in motorhomes, watching them on the highway etc. Always thought it would be fun. Then a buddy of mine bought a class C and it got me to thinking - and looking. I was lucky. I found a nice used gasser in my budget within a couple of months in an adjacent town. Not a perfect coach, but very nice and clean and extremely low mileage. I finally got wife on board. I told her we could try it out and see if we enjoyed it. If not - sell it and move on. Wouldn't lose too much on the older coach. If we did like it, keep it a couple of years, then trade up. She finally agreed to give it a try. Thought I had lost my mind once again. Well, we were out in it 5 times last year. She's really enjoying it. Our vacation home on wheels. Getting ready to leave for a week in New Orleans in a couple of days. Its all good. Probably be trading in a year or two for a new Canyon Star or Allegro. Great fun!
jt
harleyjt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:55 AM   #76

I am the wife and I purchased the motorhome. I have the attitude "why not" when it comes to picking a place to travel and he always asks "why". However, he is happy to go along on all the trips I plan and he has a wonderful time on each of them. Both of us cannot envision like without the RV. We did not have it for 4 months while it was being worked on and we both really missed it.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:15 AM   #77

Have been enjoying this conversation. DH was an over-the-road truck driver who has traveled all over USA and Canada. I have always told him that my dream retirement was to buy an RV, pack up the 4-footed beasties, and go see everything he has been telling me about for the past 35 years. I retired in March, he's been retired, and we hit the road later this month.
SunriseSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:22 AM   #78

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunriseSix View Post
Have been enjoying this conversation. DH was an over-the-road truck driver who has traveled all over USA and Canada. I have always told him that my dream retirement was to buy an RV, pack up the 4-footed beasties, and go see everything he has been telling me about for the past 35 years. I retired in March, he's been retired, and we hit the road later this month.

Good for you! I wish you safe travels.

jt
2005 Newmar Kountry Star gas 3742, Workhorse 8.1L w/Allison 5 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
harleyjt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:20 PM   #79

As the wife, it was my idea. My DH is adapting nicely. He is really improving his driving skills now that I follow in the SUV (with dogs) and towing the motorcycle. The Rand McNally RV GPS map person has never driven some roads they tell you to go on.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #80

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Never had a problem with wife not wanting one. We both loved camping, so started with a palomino yearly pop-up, moved into a coleman 28" pop-up. Next we got a 28' travel trailer because the canvas allowed to much summer heat in the summer, and cold in the winter. Next a 40' Sprinter 5'er, now our Thor 37KT motorcoach. Loved all of them and now looking @ Thor Tuscany 45AT. Who knows....
NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:08 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
I wanted a Winnebago View to replace my aging VW Vanagon Westfalia. Wife wanted more space, and we ended up with a 40' diesel pusher.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B

I had the same experience. My wife and daughter liked the Winnebago View that I dreamed about but wanted more space. We ended up with a diesel pusher too.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:32 AM   #82

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
My wife asked me to pose this question and I read it to her in advance to insure I asked the question as she intended.

She assumes that most of us boys had the idea first. And the question is;

How did you wife initially feel when you brought up your desire for a motorhome?
Hahahaha very good question. I will quote exactly what she said when I brought it up.. [ moderator edit ] is about what she said.

She downplays it alot, but she likes it a lot more than she admits lol.
superk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:21 AM   #83

This is our fifth RV over the past twenty years
1.Pop up tent trailer
2. Pop up tent trailer with slide/bump-out
3. Travel trailer with one slide
4. Fifth wheel with three slides
5. Class A with two slides

We were both ready for the 'final' upgrade. Spent the winter researching, fine tuning mutual needs, desires & expectations. Went shopping, then shopping, then, on a whim, looked on eBay motors. And there it was.

No Regrets.
RMSmithJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:21 PM   #84

It was my wife's idea. I got rid of our old Chris Craft and wanted to buy a sail boat. She said if I got a sail boat she would get a divorce. Told her, sorry, I did not want to spend that much so go pick out a motor home.

It has not left the driveway since we got it three weeks ago as she has no time to go "camping"... Sure miss my boat... it was an hour away!

Tags
motorhome