Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2016, 11:39 AM   #1

Your wife and the Motorhome?

My wife asked me to pose this question and I read it to her in advance to insure I asked the question as she intended.

She assumes that most of us boys had the idea first. And the question is;

How did you wife initially feel when you brought up your desire for a motorhome?
WyoFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2016, 11:44 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
My wife asked me to pose this question and I read it to her in advance to insure I asked the question as she intended.

She assumes that most of us boys had the idea first. And the question is;

How did you wife initially feel when you brought up your desire for a motorhome?
Talked about it for a year while looking, she never said much..........then the day come, and I called her to the computer.........as she looked over my shoulder, the only thing she said was" Do you really think you can afford one of those"? Why do you sit and waste your time looking at them?
That was back in '09......
Old 05-01-2016, 11:45 AM   #3

I wanted a Winnebago View to replace my aging VW Vanagon Westfalia. Wife wanted more space, and we ended up with a 40' diesel pusher.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 05-01-2016, 11:48 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I didn't, it was her idea.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:55 AM   #5

My wife is one of those great wives who just tells me to buy whatever I want. But that is most likely due to the fact she knows that I am not frivolous, will window shop and do my research, and put a lot of thought into it before buying anything. When I first started looking at MH's we were looking at used ones, that really didn't have what we wanted, or were not kept in the best condition, like I do all my stuff. So at first she really didn't seem too enthused, but still told me to buy what I wanted. Then one day we were talking and I said I wasn't going to buy one because I didn't think she wanted one as bad as I did. She then told me she really wanted one, but she really wanted a new one that we could take care of in the way we are accustomed to. Then we started looking at new ones, she was very involved with the search process, and very excited to get one. We finally found one we both loved and she loves going out in the MH and traveling.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:59 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
My wife is a girly girl. Shortly after we met, she told me "I don't camp. Period. Don't even ask."

Stopped at a stoplight on the road by Walmart, I pointed to the line of RVs in the parking lot and asked, "Not even in one of those?". Nope.

Then I pointed out there was a shower and electrical outlets for necessities such as hair dryers and curling irons.

That cracked the ice and a few years later we were in our motor home.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:03 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
We were out for the day enjoying So Cal weather and happen to pass a Camping World.
We had discussed getting a fifth wheel trailer so we stopped in to "see what they had"
Next thing I know, we're signing papers for a Class C Monaco. And the rest, as they say, is history.
That was the first one and now we have a SouthWind which works very well for us.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:03 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a popup. We both loved it. My wife looked at a motorhome and fell in love with. The price was $16,000.00 No way could we afford it. Then the OPEC 1973 "Shortage" hit. The bottom fell out of the motorhome market. My wife said we could never buy a motorhome because there would not be any gas for it. I told her, If they say there is no gas, everyone will panic and then they will come back and say" we will have gas, but it will be more expensive" Everyone will be happy. We bought the motorhome we had looked at the year before, but instead of $16,000.00, we got it for $6,000.00 Never had a problem getting gas for it. (However I do wish we could still fill up at 49 cents a gallon.)
Old 05-01-2016, 12:04 PM   #9

actually my wife bought ours, we were buying something for our 86 winne, and she wanted to look at the new ones out side and said I want this one, went in and said here is $$ and we will take it if you take the offer, and walla, we signed the papers a hour later, I really didn't have a say in the matter,,all I did was
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:08 PM   #10

After dealing with two, PAIN IN THE A$$ truck and campers for a few years and, starting a family at the same time, we both agreed in a matter of a one nights discussion, it was time for a motor home. We started over 35 years ago with a 1979, 23' Dodge Four Star class C. Then, after 3-4 years, we moved to a 1989 27' Class C Ford Ultra. We kept that one for 11 years and, we migrated to a '99 Fleetwood Bounder Class A with the V-10 and F-53 Chassis. Kept that one for 7 years.

Our present one, an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT and, full body paint. Yep, she like'm.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:13 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've been RV'ing since 1957, got my first TT in 1967 and have had RV's ever since. Got remarried in 1987 and had a 26' TT and 3/4 ton PU then. There was no question about having an RV.
The only question now is: why did we trade off the perfectly good '02 Dutch Star for the Magna that's been nothing but expensive trouble!?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:19 PM   #12

Mike and Cha, your post was really funny!!! My wife said "you wrote that"! I had to show her it wasn't me before she'd believe it!

I even said half way through "you're thinking I wrote that right"? And she sure did! Funny stuff.
WyoFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:25 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
My wife will be the first one to tell you - no way, no how - period - not RVs. I continued to look and shared my ideas for use with her. Initially had a large TT - lots of good things she liked but a number she didn't like. BUT - she began to feel comfortable with the idea. Well we shortly moved up to a MH.

We have a large, beautiful brick and mortar home but spending time with our grandkids there becomes difficult as families get older. We have a very comfortable gasser that easily sleeps 3-5 kids at a time. We have taken 3 (ages 9 and 10) of them cross country with us seeing things that we've come to enjoy since retirement. We travel now 7 months per year.

If you asked my wife now she would tell that it has added more to our lives than she'd have thought possible. Of course that is after she has wifi, washer/dryer, plenty of beach time and lots of hugs.

I doubt we'd ever give up our brick and mortar home but I doubt just as much that we'll ever give up our 2nd home on wheels.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:29 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
We started going to rv shows about the time we got married, and talked about rv'ing. 31 years later, after many, many rv shows and spending many nights in tents when our three kids were young, and a few nights in pickup camper and a travel trailer w/friends, we bought a 40' diesel pusher. We had begun to look in earnest and she found the one we bought while visiting a friend.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome