Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-02-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
You're a working stiff... How do YOU use your Class A?

I'm still working and probably for the next 10 years.

So, if you're in a similar situation, how do you use your Class A?

Seems to me, long weekends will be short ones moving the Class A from home base to location and back, not to mention expensive in transportation costs if you do it very often.

I can see taking my as yet undelivered Class A and putting it somewhere (like the beach) and then going to it over the summer, but doing multiple in and out to different locations will drive up the expenses.

So, what are YOU doing with YOUR Class A, given that you can't full-time or even mostly part-time?

What makes the most sense to YOU?

2012 Tiffin 35QBA
Home is in the hearts of those you love and who love you. Wherever they may be, THAT is your home.
BoogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm looking at another 15 to retirement.

What we've done is to research all campgrounds within a 1-1/2 hour ride from the house. This usually consisted of an internet search, research anywhere we could get a review from past campers, and a Google earth view so we could compare that to their campground map. Usually we would first drive out in the car or on the bike and walk the place on a weekend. This proved to be the most useful tool as a lot of places look great on the net but in person not so good. Once we were happy that it was worth a chance, we booked a site for the weekend. During that stay we would find sites that we thought we would like even more and, on some occasions, decide we wouldn't go back at all. Now we have a small handful of local campgrounds that we can get to and setup on a Friday night in time to walk the dog before it gets dark right up to the change in daylight savings.

We drive the RV to a different campground just about every other weekend in the summer and try to plan about three one week long trips a year with one being during the winter to someplace warm to ride the bike and that's been enough to keep us happy. We're booked at Briar Point campground in West Virginia in a few weeks which will probably be our last for the season until our trip to Dauphin Island in the Gulf after Christmas.

I've noticed Class A motor homes parked as seasonal renters so you're not alone in your thinking. Personally with the cost of a class A I'm not sure I'd park it anywhere and incur the seasonal rates involved with that. I prefer to move around. Give this a try, you may be happy as well as learn a lot about setting up and breaking down the rig

DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
We use ours when ever we can. If I was going to park it somewhere I could have saved big$$$$$$$$$ and bought trailer.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We're fortunate in storing ours only 3 miles from where we camp on the river about every third weekend. The storage spot is a 35 mile drive from the house..works like a charm!
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
We use ours when ever we can. If I was going to park it somewhere I could have saved big$$$$$$$$$ and bought trailer.
I was thinking the same thing but I'm sure he had his reasons
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
We store our Class A in our back yard. We are about 5 years to retirement so we can not full time yet. Don't think we are going to full, full time even when we retire. We will keep our sticks and brick but our plan right now is to find a place close to my son in Alabama to be our base for the winters. Our most frequent use right now, and probably when we retire, is for dog shows. We pay a little less than a camp ground per night ($25-50 per night) most often with electric and water. We spend about 30 nights a season at shows and then another 14 nights just camping for fun. Does not cost us anything to store in the back yard so it works for us. The DW will sometimes go out into the MH to have a glass of wine and just to get away from the dogs, or is it really me We also use the MH in the backyard for a guest room for family. Makes everyone much happier to have their own space.
Dan and Kathryn DeBruin plus dogs
2005 Newmar Dutchstar 4009
Victor NY
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
We keep ours at home. Have the room. We mainly use it during the summer months to go camping. Here in the PNW we have a great number of State Parks within a 1 hour drive that we can go to. Also during the summer (I teach) we can go wherever we want. The only thing that holds us back is the price of gas. In MD you should have plenty of parks to visit and just enjoy your rig.

2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
1997 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually
Go Dawgs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #8

We live very rural and we will take the RV to dinner in a town 40 miles from home for drinks & dinner. We overnight in the restaurant parking lot - with permission of course. That way we are not driving after several drinks and have our own comfortable bed & bath.
Safe Travels
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are about 4 years from early retirement and are in the same predicament. I imagine we will be using days of vacation time to "extend" weekends to 3 or 4 days, in an effort to justify the travel cost. We take delivery of our new coach on 11/11/11 and our first trip will be to visit relatives for Thanksgiving week.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I'm 53, 3 years past retirement according to the plan I made when I was 30... And I still have 3 kids in the house, the youngest 14. I guess I ain't gonna make my planned retirement date?

We use ours as often as we can. Last year we did 3 10 day trips, plus a few 3 day weekends. In previous years we've been gone 4-5 weeks in the summer. It's tough here in Illinois, you pretty much have to drive 2 days just to find anything but corn and soybeans.

My capper is business trips. I travel some, mostly regionally, and always take the rig. I need to figure out the accounting end soon, but the rent should cover the payments

The key with a class a is mobility.
Seasonal parkers just don't need to spend that kind of money.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We learned pretty early on the out-n-back every weekend uses up a LOT of gas. So we changed strategy & now stay longer at campgrounds. We do a few extended weekends (Fri-Mon) throughout the season & plan 2 2wk trips where we choose a route that takes us to 4 or 5 campgrounds where we stay a minimum of 3 nights. Last summer we did a circle tour of lower MI for 10 days & this fall we incorporated the National Rally with stops in PA & WV. It works out much better for us since being in 1 place longer not only saves on gas but also allows us more time to take in local sights.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #12
iRV2 No Limits Club
We ordered our 2000 DSDP as our retirement rig since I retired in 1998. Then we ordered our 2002 DSDP as our retirement rig. Wife still working till SS kicks in, then her daughter died, so now we have two grandkids to raise although the older one moved out last month. Now only have the 11 year old at home. Still waiting for the SS since the wife will be 64 next month.
Now we find that she may have cancer of the liver and pancreas. Still waiting for more tests to know for sure.
Anyway, get out there and use the rig!! Don't wait to retire, you may never make it!!
We try and get out at least once a month even in the fall and winter. Will, hopefully, be headed for Phoenix in March for the Good Sam rally there if her health holds out.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #13
We live in a retirement village 5 minutes from Laguna Beach CA. We are not retired but ,I am a contractor and my wife sells real estate so we have flexible schedules. We pay $150 a year to store and have wash and dump station. We also live 2 hours from 8,000ft. mountains High and low deserts and a hundreds of state beach campgrounds. I think we will make good use of our "first" MH a nice used Fleetwood Bounder 31. We plan to visit my kids in WV, friends in TX. and hope to visit Alaska soon. We mainly want to do lots of 3-4 day trips to beaches
captaindesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:53 PM   #14
This is a good question.

DW won't retire until sometime next year, unless she changes her mind again! I have been retired about 2 years now.

We have a lot invested in our coach and leaving it sit is not an option.

We take one 4-5 day trip each month planned well in advance.

Living in Washington state we have many choices within a 125 mile radius. Sometimes it is the beach, sometimes Puget Sound, and sometimes the mountains. We frequent several beaches and use mostly state parks. They are very good and have great beach locations. Same for the sound. We like Fort Worden Sate park near Port Townsend. There are too many to mention in the mountains. Every year we do a 4 day trip to Leavenworth for Oktoberfest and have never been disappointed. In fact, next week we are doing 4 days at Cape Disappointment at the mouth of the Columbia river. There is a really great state park there.

The key to success is to plan ahead and get your reservations in place. If we wait too long the pickings are slim and it is easy to get into a do nothing loop.

Commit to a location and time and just do it. Take your fur balls and kids, if you have them, and enjoy everything RV-ing has to offer.

Hope this helps.

US Army Retired
Olympia, WA
brotenc is offline   Reply With Quote