RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2019, 10:35 AM   #15

I have some great friends that had an Alpha with the defective fiberglass, a company in Indiana that specializes in full time Alpha restoration, completely replaced the siding, paint and roof for $50,000, if that makes anyone feel better. Obviously it looks like a new coach now.

They do sell inflatable paint booths for your yard or shop on Amazon, not sure if they make one big enough for a 40+ foot diesel pusher but couldn’t image achieving good results outside.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2019, 10:41 AM   #16

Hey ME, don’t know if you purposely switched Lactose with the real manufacturer Lacoste. If you did it was brilliant, if not, oh well, I can see what’s on your mind.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:38 AM   #17
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Thanks, Ucbyrickg. I think I'll check out your suggestions as not only do I really want to pay $83 but I can't submit a contractor's license in order for them to sell it to me. Plus, I don't want to wear a tie and sport coat while I do the work. I never was considered a yuppie.

tycham, ah!! ok. I don't remember all that Howdy Doody said as I was only a young kid back then and I'm now having a difficult time remembering stuff from those days.. I do seem to recall his yelling "yippie ki yay" or something similar. But I appreciate your letting us know what worked for you. Thanks.

Limegreencj5, LOL ! ...I didn't catch that when I read his post.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:41 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
An 8" wheel in a drill must be a handful, even for a pro. My local auto paint dealer had the ones like the $13 one in the previous post. Worked great when I did prep work for my clearcoat job.

Clear coating my 2002 Adventurer - Winnebago Owners Online Community
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:19 AM   #19

Wow, a lot of comments.

I tried all of the methods above, including the 3M product, generic eraser, liquids, heat and putty knife. The right side took two or three days in the hot Nevada sun. Maybe 3 hours at a time. The Scotchbrite product cost about the same as the others combined.

The best part was that the Scotchbrite product did the front, rear and side in two hours. Obviously it is a professional product with its disclaimer. I think it works better because it is made of multiple, spaced, disc each about a 1/16 of an inch.

Anyway, MY EXPERIENCE, is that this is a better mouse trap. Yippie I did find out yesterday that a major RV painter in Sacramento uses it
tycham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:09 PM   #20

OK, I forgot a stripe that was 4 foot by 3-5 inches. My wife took a video of how simple the burgundy stripe stripe was. For what ever reason the burgundy stripes were the hardest. It took 3 1/2 minutes and we did a video but do not know how to post it. I did check the individual pad and they are made by 3M
tycham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:28 PM   #21

Just a guess, I assume these wheels just create heat using friction to soften the adhesive just enough to grab it and remove it without heating and damaging the paint. I honestly believe used correctly a heat gun and a plastic chisel would do just as good if you feel like doing it while you’re wearing a tie.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucbyrickg View Post
They do sell inflatable paint booths for your yard or shop on Amazon, not sure if they make one big enough for a 40+ foot diesel pusher but couldn’t image achieving good results outside.
Just have to get creative
HomeDepot: About $300 in reusable 2x4s, plastic cloth, furnace filters and a few good fans.

Certainly not nearly as nice as a full booth, but doable.

Weather plays a big part....I was dodging rain storms, getting delayed with multi color / clear steps, battling the tree droppings, and big winged mosquitoes and temp and humidity changes...

Pics are the evolution of the front end from purchase (crunched), I did the frame pull / welding, to a guy I met in Vegas that did the glass reconstruction (I was working on the rear), I did the body work, then prime, then paint and clear. All working outdoors. I think the paint looked better than Newmar's (more blend, more clear).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Booth.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	240859   Click image for larger version

Name:	FrontClear_small.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	240860  

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	240865  
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2019, 11:03 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by u04601 View Post
Reading the description on the Amazon link provided, the only underlying surface it refers to is metal. One of the reviews talks about how easy it "burns" a gel coat type of surface. So, take your chances and pay attention to how much decal you are trying to take off at once.
Ditto... I just removed a bunch of faded decals in preparation of having them replaced. The first couple decals, I removed with heat and plastic razor blades. It worked very well, but took a lot of time and effort. Decided to try an eraser wheel with a low speed drill. After removing several inches of the decal, I noticed a very light discoloration in some areas of the gel coat. Thought it was residue from the wheel until I tried to wipe it off. I was finally able to remove the discoloration, but I had to use some compound. Needless to say, I went back to the heat/plastic razor blade method.

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:19 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Just have to get creative
HomeDepot: About $300 in reusable 2x4s, plastic cloth, furnace filters and a few good fans.

Certainly not nearly as nice as a full booth, but doable.

Weather plays a big part....I was dodging rain storms, getting delayed with multi color / clear steps, battling the tree droppings, and big winged mosquitoes and temp and humidity changes...

Pics are the evolution of the front end from purchase (crunched), I did the frame pull / welding, to a guy I met in Vegas that did the glass reconstruction (I was working on the rear), I did the body work, then prime, then paint and clear. All working outdoors. I think the paint looked better than Newmar's (more blend, more clear).

Looks great from the photos. Most people do not have enough hidden property to do such a set up without the neighbors get funny, but it worked for you.

Here is a thought, a fairly cheap shelter would be in order for a freshly painted coach, so logic tells me that purchasing the shelter first and using it with the aid of plastic, lights, filters and fans, would dramatically improve the experience and ease, then become the protection the coach needs when done. I would also recommend a concrete floor not only to stabilize ladders and scaffolding but to help with dust, humidity and bugs, and would be a much better servicing bay for the future.

Name:	IMG_7093.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	240908
Old 04-06-2019, 05:34 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucbyrickg View Post
Looks great from the photos. Most people do not have enough hidden property to do such a set up without the neighbors get funny, but it worked for you.

Here is a thought, a fairly cheap shelter would be in order for a freshly painted coach, so logic tells me that purchasing the shelter first and using it with the aid of plastic, lights, filters and fans, would dramatically improve the experience and ease, then become the protection the coach needs when done. I would also recommend a concrete floor not only to stabilize ladders and scaffolding but to help with dust, humidity and bugs, and would be a much better servicing bay for the future.

Attachment 240908
Make sure the one you get is large enough to give you working room. The one in the pic I don't think you would be able to get a step ladder and have spray distance to maneuver. You could park the RV way to the side and work on the other. You can't work on more than a side at a time anyway. Especially if you are spraying multi colors as you can't stop painting until done with the clear. If you don't have overhead trees and the wind is calm and no flying critters...you can even get away with open air spraying.

Tags
removal