Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2019, 01:20 PM   #1

Yuppie - Stripe removal made easy

I am getting ready to have my Georgetown repainted and a huge part of the cost is prep. Originally I was just going to put new stripes on it and in preparation took the strip off the passenger side. I used everything and ended up using a bunch of the 4" eraser wheels that you chuck in a drill. Yes, it worked but it was hard work, took a long time and a bunch of erasers.

A couple years ago I bought what I thought would be a better answer. Well, I just did front, back and the driver side in two hours. This is the best and easiest way to do it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
tycham is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2019, 01:46 PM   #2

Just curious why it is that that they require proof that you're a "professional/commercial user" to purchase the disc? Is it that dangerous to use?

And why are you only addressing "yuppies" in our suggestion? I'm an old decrepit fart. Is it too dangerous for me to use? Or is it only intended for young professional types? --actually, haven't heard the term yuppie used in a long time, takes me back to the early 1980s, LOL
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Just curious why it is that that they require proof that you're a "professional/commercial user" to purchase the disc? Is it that dangerous to use?

And why are you only addressing "yuppies" in our suggestion? I'm an old decrepit fart. Is it too dangerous for me to use? Or is it only intended for young professional types? --actually, haven't heard the term yuppie used in a long time, takes me back to the early 1980s, LOL
Now dont go and get all upset.. I think he was referring to the stripe as a "Yuppie Stripe" like the old Lactose Polo shirts,, Lets go with that ..

And it may be dangerous to use but dont let that stop you! Post videos we all want to see.
MEWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:25 PM   #4

LOL! aaah, ok. Yeah, that really got me upset!!

Old age is terrible on cognition. Yuppie stripes! ...got it.

Yeah, I've used orbital sanders before so I'd probably take a chance but was just curious as to why they'd require verification that the buyer is a professional user. I wonder if they'd sell one to me without verification as I'm kind of interested in it for another purpose. Kind of pricey, though.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:35 PM   #5

I think it meant "yippee" but spell check might have bit him ???
neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:14 PM   #6

Glad it worked for you, cause it better at 83 bucks! I’ve seen it done carefully with heat gun.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:05 AM   #7

The 3M Eraser is the real deal.
It is marketed to the body shop pro market.
If you were to wear a tie while using it, then it could get entangled in the eraser and yank your head off. That's why the warning. So, don't wear a tie.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:29 AM   #8

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7088.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	240633

3m has them cheaper and are sold at many Napa stores and automotive paint stores, no experience needed.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
The 3M Eraser is the real deal.
It is marketed to the body shop pro market.
If you were to wear a tie while using it, then it could get entangled in the eraser and yank your head off. That's why the warning. So, don't wear a tie.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:13 AM   #10

I might have to try that too. I have an old Holiday Rambler trailer that the stripes are flaking off, but the rubber eraser has almost no effect on them. It would sure look better with them gone.
MSchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:39 AM   #11

Reading the description on the Amazon link provided, the only underlying surface it refers to is metal. One of the reviews talks about how easy it "burns" a gel coat type of surface. So, take your chances and pay attention to how much decal you are trying to take off at once.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:46 AM   #12

Yuppie is what Howdy Doody uses to say. Has nothing to do with 'yuppies' but a cowboy yell.

I have no idea on the disclaimer. It was 'easy' and worked well. It can get away from you but not once you learn the technique
tycham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:38 AM   #13

Pretty sure you'd enjoy the experience more if you let someone else do that job. Maybe while sipping a pina colada in Mazatlan. At least that's what I found.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:46 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
When I painted my Southwind, I tried a lot of different methods for removing the old graphics.

New paint for the ole Southwind – 1999 Southwind 35S

Scroll down to GRAPHICS REMOVAL in the article. For me, it came down to three methods that worked, depending on the condition of the vinyl .

Heat gun, chemical, or eraser.

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal