Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2016, 12:10 PM   #1

Zantrex auto start

I'm having an issue with my Xantrex and battery auto start/charge level The level of charge does not agree with the computer that came with my Monaco Windsor The auto start with start the generator and sometimes run for only 10-15 minutes till the generator stops also the computer will show the battery level at 13.5 v will the Zantrex shows 70-80%
Thx

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2016, 02:17 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcrazy View Post
I'm having an issue with my Xantrex and battery auto start/charge level The level of charge does not agree with the computer that came with my Monaco Windsor The auto start with start the generator and sometimes run for only 10-15 minutes till the generator stops also the computer will show the battery level at 13.5 v will the Zantrex shows 70-80%
Thx

You didn't mention which Xantrex model you have but there are a plethora of settings available on my Xantrex Freedom SW 3000 inverter. It took me a lot of time reading the manual and a few phone calls to tech support along with some trial and error to get an understanding of how the system works and its capabilities. Sounds like you have the settings set in such a way that AGS will start and run the generator only until the batteries complete the "absorption" phase, which usually only takes about 10-15 minutes in my case. If you want the generator to "top off" the batteries then set the AGS to "float" and it will run until completion of the float phase. If you haven't already, you will want to set the low voltage limits which determine how low the battery voltage gets before the AGS starts the generator. The default settings on my system were set up for a 24 volt configuration and I had to make numerous changes. You will also want to set the time parameter which tells the AGS to wait until "X" minutes sustained voltage below the programmed voltage before starting the generator to prevent false starts due to a momentary voltage drop when turning on an appliance.

Additionally, there is another setting which you can determine the max runtime of the generator in case you wish to set a limit. I have mine set to 1.5 hours so that when it's in storage it doesn't run unnecessarily and that seems to work fine. Note however, if you do set up this feature and the AGS system shuts down the generator upon reaching the time limit it does so by sending a fault code which will be displayed on the SCP. There is no harm in this shutdown method but the code has to be cleared before returning the automatic mode. You have to clear the code using the SCP with the inverter disengaged.

Another feature I just discovered a week ago is the ability to limit the shore power demand. I plugged into a 20 amp outlet at a relatives house which was all that was available. Of course, I tripped the house breaker twice before I realized I could just select the setting on the SCP to a lower amperage which limits the amount of power the system will demand.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Russ
1990 Country Coach Concept 36' Anteres
1997 Jeep Wrangler, Blue Ox
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:36 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Regarding the voltage showing 13.5v and the charge level showing 70%-80%; Certainly anyone besides myself can give a better electrical explanation, but the voltage displayed is simply the voltage the battery is delivering in its current state (loaded or unloaded). When you turn something on and demand a load that indicated voltage will drop accordingly and will also increase when the load is reduced or eliminated. The % of charge level is an indication of how charged the batteries are relative to capacity but not specifically the voltage available. Various 12 volt appliances (refrigerator/furnace, etc.) require different minimum voltages in order to operate properly. I believe AC appliances typically need a consistent 115v-120v supply of power to operate properly as well as prevent damage to their components and for this we rely upon the inverter.

Right or wrong, I keep an eye on the voltage indication in order to monitor how the batteries are doing. I only reference the % indication to get a broad view of the battery charge state. Hopefully others will soon contribute their knowledge on this thread to better educate us all.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Russ
1990 Country Coach Concept 36' Anteres
1997 Jeep Wrangler, Blue Ox
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote