RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2017, 06:03 PM   #15

The product for removing oxidation from the white fiberglass is Bar Keepers Friend ( THE LIQUID not the powder ) the only product that comes close to removing oxidation as well was Scratch Doctor , but you cannot afford the amount required for a coach of that product . I went through 2 , 16 oz bottles of BKF.
Other posts on the subject .
Zep Wet Look Finish

Zep'd my Bounder...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2017, 07:40 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindan n Jim View Post
I'd be interested in trying this on my '92 Pace Arrow. It needs some cosmetic TLC on the outside.

Can you tell me a little more about the prep work involved? I imagine a thorough washing with some heavy detergent, but what else? Can it be applied to the glass and other exterior finishes? Is there anything to absolutely avoid?

I'm headed to the local home center right now. I want to try this!
I would not recommend using on glass at all!... Works really well on fiberglas and decals. I agree with Skip426 about using liquid Barkeepers Friend. Here is one of the early articles with a lot of detail on preparation. (ZEP Wet Look originally was Lowes RedMax Pro floor polish.)
Refurbishing Fiberglass RV Finish- Red Max - Good Old RVs

Hope this helps.. update your results.

Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:48 PM   #17

American Coach Owners Club
Ok Guys ! I'm not a naysayer of applying Interior Floor Wax to your Motor Homes- RV's or Camper's. But Zep has -0- UV protection- So the Amazing Easy Shines will be short Lived. I would try Automotive or Marine shine products before long before trying an easy quick fix.
JMO !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Ok Guys ! I'm not a naysayer of applying Interior Floor Wax to your Motor Homes- RV's or Camper's. But Zep has -0- UV protection- So the Amazing Easy Shines will be short Lived.
JMO !
Spent the whole winter ( I know winter weather doesn't count ) in an RV park in SoCA. Passenger's side facing south for 5 1/2 months, rear cap facing west ( of course) , I cannot detect any difference side to side , in fade of decals or oxidation on the white fiberglass. JMO. So far everything I can see has made the time; ( this is not an easy undertaking, nor is any clean and wax on a coach ); and expense of the project well worth it.
Every other product I've tried in 7 years with this coach ; in the same spot in the same park , hasn't lasted a season.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:07 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Ok Guys ! I'm not a naysayer of applying Interior Floor Wax to your Motor Homes- RV's or Camper's. But Zep has -0- UV protection- So the Amazing Easy Shines will be short Lived. I would try Automotive or Marine shine products before long before trying an easy quick fix.
JMO !
Been using Zep and Redd Maxx for five years now and the shine on my coach is still there after a year out in the weather. Curb side faces west and gets full afternoon sun with no yellowing, reduction of gloss, fading of the paint I have used to replace a sun stroked black decal or degrading of the other decals. And I have tried automotive and marine products, multiple times. Want to take a guess how long that gloss lasted? About a two months maybe three.

Concerning UA protection, I've search and have yet to find any results of any standardized testing regarding the level of protection or how long the protection lasts. Product manufactures are quick to claim their products has such properties but searching for information to back up said claims has returned no results. I have found data on paint, in fact lots of testing of various paint products. But a consumer product that you don't need to wear a hazmat suit, special equipment or such to apply, not so much. Maybe I'm just using the wrong search string in Google. ASTM G154 (or G155) + Car care products returns little if any information.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:15 PM   #20

Quote:
JMO !
My amazing easy shine looks as good today as it did two years ago when we applied it. Here in the Florida sunshine state. I have NEVER had a marine or car wax last that long. As a matter of fact, most marine and car waxes have only lasted a matter of months for me. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:21 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Seriously ? Would you use Zep on your car ? Read all the stories on removing Zep Floor wax from your Rv after it cracks and peels off .
I once had our last coach detailed and found out after the fact that poly glow was used. Looked awesome for the first year then it started peeling off on wind sensitive areas. This stuff was impossible to remove and recoating was impossible to blend into the parts that came off.

Zep wax will most likley have similar results.
2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit 31'
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:57 PM   #22

What amazes me is that those that have negative things to say about using Zep have never used it and like to pass on what they have "read". Of course if it's on the internet it must be true. Those of us that have used and and found it to perform better than expected will continue to use it and enjoy the positive comments we get where ever we take the coach. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:09 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
What amazes me is that those that have negative things to say about using Zep have never used it and like to pass on what they have "read". Of course if it's on the internet it must be true. Those of us that have used and and found it to perform better than expected will continue to use it and enjoy the positive comments we get where ever we take the coach. Chuck
3 years ago, 5 thin coats on my fiberglass roof.........still looks the same today.......holding up better than expected

Old 04-19-2017, 09:37 PM   #24

I've posted this elsewhere, but here's my story. Lived aboard a 44' trawler that was 22yrs old when we purchased it. Waxed and buffed for three years. It was okay, but shine didn't really suit me. At some point the fiberglass finish just is too degraded/porous to shine. Neighbor with same problems used Poly Glow, I used Zep. His finish showed dull areas in a year. My zep finish was perfect 6 yrs later when we sold the boat. True I recoated every year, but I would've waxed every year anyway. And re coating was quicker and easier. My boat sold for asking price (buyer said finish was big factor). Neighbors boat took 3yrs to sell, and he had to mark it down substantially to do that. The poli glow finish was very blotchy. Do as you wish, but the Zep treatment made a believer out of my wife and I. An aside-told a friend about it, and he used it on his older Eagle. Neighbors in the RV park were stunned at the outcome. Remember preparation is the key. What ever fiberglass you use it on must be operating room clean. Bar Keepers Friend, followed by Tri-sodium phosphate wash is what I did.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:36 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Zep

What effect does Zep have on decals? I am considering replacing my decals and then would like to Zep my coach.
rfsod48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:58 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfsod48 View Post
What effect does Zep have on decals? I am considering replacing my decals and then would like to Zep my coach.
My question exactly!
vdubbugman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:00 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfsod48 View Post
It's great for decals. Look it up on YouTube. There is no negative results.
Bounder Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
I agree 100%.

I read the Zep posts and have even bought all the stuff, just hope to find time to get it done this year (priorities).

Every thread about Zep will have someone who hasn't tried it calling it a 'floor wax' and saying it can't possibly work.

Countered by many who have tried it and affirm that it does work.

I have only seen a few post from people who have tried it and say it peeled and usually they freely admit it was lack of preparation.

From everything I've read, preparation is the key, there's no shortcuts. Prep will be 80% of the time taken to do the job.

Also, remember that many people like me have older motorhomes, I don't think anyone is suggesting this is for a newer model with full body paint, but for those older chalky motorhomes it might be an inexpensive fix for a common problem.

Steve

Tags
floor