Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2017, 04:55 AM   #43

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave0559 View Post
,,, My coach has full body paint in excellent condition but it's labor intensive. I'm considering using zep wet look. ,,,
With a painted coach the last thing you want to do is use Zep. Actually it's not the last thing you want to try, just don't do it. The prep work will most likely permanently damage the clear top coat and there's a lot of unanswered questions if the product will even adhere properly to the smooth surface a clear coat has.

I do Zep my non-painted 11 year old coach but when it comes to a fully painted clear coated rigs stick with conventional products that are formulated for such. Zep works very well on aged chalky fiberglass. Not so much on paint.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2017, 09:59 AM   #44

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I was an early adherent to the RMP/Zep bandwagon, in fact I still have at least one, maybe two gallons of Lowes RMP #3 in the red bottles.

I used it on my old 88 Bounder which was chalky, faded, and in pretty bad shape from 30 years of Florida sun when I got her.

Prep is the key. Five or six very thin coats, and a good wash and recoat next year. This is what she looked like the first summer I used it.

And yes, DO NOT use on clear-coated finishes, most autos or any full-body painted coaches. It's for old(er), faded fiberglass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Summer 2012-Bounder Rear 1.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	892.6 KB
ID:	165172  
Old 06-14-2017, 04:36 PM   #45

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For an old rig that won't shine, Zep is a cure. I have it on for four years and like it.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:03 AM   #46

I have an old Tiffin Allegro (2000 M28), its probably been sat outside in the CA sun most of its life. The drivers side looks obviously more faded to me, and the decals are pretty cracked and faded.

What prep work do you guys do before applying Zep? Just a clean? or polish as well? Anything specific to do with the decals? I know as they are already cracked and faded they will never look new, but anything I can do to tidy it up would be good.
mjleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:14 PM   #47

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjleonard View Post
I have an old Tiffin Allegro (2000 M28), its probably been sat outside in the CA sun most of its life. The drivers side looks obviously more faded to me, and the decals are pretty cracked and faded.

What prep work do you guys do before applying Zep? Just a clean? or polish as well? Anything specific to do with the decals? I know as they are already cracked and faded they will never look new, but anything I can do to tidy it up would be good.
I was amazed how well my faded crack decals came out with Zep.
Preparation clean it well and clean your applicator pad often any dirt present when you wax is in the wax till you strip it. My coach took 4 light coats to shine up..

jaywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:28 AM   #48

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just sent a private message, I can email you the instructions..
Old 06-16-2017, 06:28 AM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donhoward49 View Post
I just sent a private message, I can email you the instructions..
Use Search, there are some very detailed instructions that some have put together on this subject. If I was to guess, there are probably 10 or 15 threads on this subject. One guy went a far as putting together the ultimate guide on the process.

good luck!
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:56 PM   #50

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did Zep, 4 or 5 years ago, then reapplied one coat last year,, I have been cleaning after a long winter and have some of looking spots. 
Name:   IMG_0194.JPG
Views: 723
Size:  13.5 KB

Name:   IMG_0194.JPG
Views: 723
Size:  13.5 KB
f
Trying to attach the picture, see if it shows up..
Old 06-20-2017, 04:59 PM   #51

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great the pictures posted, so they are odd looking spots. Best ideas. Recoat it??
Old 06-20-2017, 05:00 PM   #52

I washed my coach the other day with dawn soap and noticed a few.areas that looked similar but not nearly as large....
Adamsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:01 PM   #53

I guess strip it with the bar keepers friend and go at it again....
Old 06-20-2017, 05:12 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsta View Post
I guess strip it with the bar keepers friend and go at it again....
It may be more effective to strip it with ammonia, then scrub it with BKF. That's what I did on my MH when it was time to refinish with Zep.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:23 PM   #55

True....
Old 06-20-2017, 05:49 PM   #56

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by donhoward49 View Post
Great the pictures posted, so they are odd looking spots. Best ideas. Recoat it??
Pretty much what my front and rear caps look like after the winter nap. My guess it's the warm cool cycle of my weather in southeastern Virginia and the fiberglass expanding and contracting. No problems with the sides of the coach and the caps look fine from Easter thru Veterans Day.

To correct I strip the caps with Zep stripper then wash the entire coach (caps included to ensure I don't miss anything) with a mild soap and Bar Keeper's Friend on any spots that need additional attention. A couple thin coats of the final product and the coach is good for a year.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor