Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:11 PM   #1

Question '07 Pleasure Way odd high/low beams

Hi all and thanks for taking the time to read this ...

We just bought a 2007 PW Excel motorhome (built on a Ford E-350 body) and found it is a joy to drive and camp in. However driving at night on back roads I notice that oncoming drivers constantly flash their high beams at me although I had my low beams on. When I switch to the "high" beams, it does not seem to bother other drivers at all. I've checked many times to make sure I'm not misreading the high/low beam switch info, etc., and I'm not.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'd be grateful for any ideas or info. Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2015, 09:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesnorodo View Post
We just bought a 2007 PW Excel motorhome (built on a Ford E-350 body) and found it is a joy to drive and camp in. However driving at night on back roads I notice that oncoming drivers constantly flash their high beams at me although I had my low beams on. When I switch to the "high" beams, it does not seem to bother other drivers at all. I've checked many times to make sure I'm not misreading the high/low beam switch info, etc., and I'm not.
Has anyone else had this problem? I'd be grateful for any ideas or info. Thanks.
Can't you tell whether your high or low beams are on?
I can easily tell/see the difference between the high and low beams on any vehicle I'm driving if I flip the "dimmer switch lever" when I'm driving at night.
Mel
'96 Safari

Old 07-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #3

Hi Mel S - no, it's weird, the "high" and "low" beams are different, but I can't say one is clearly brighter than the other - they just illuminate different areas ("low" = closer but wider illumination; "high" = less bright but narrower and further distance.) I've been driving cars, vans and trucks for 50 years and have never encountered anything like this. Just wondering if it's a problem with this model, or specific to my (unlucky) vehicle.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Mel S - no, it's weird, the "high" and "low" beams are different, but I can't say one is clearly brighter than the other - they just illuminate different areas ("low" = closer but wider illumination; "high" = less bright but narrower and further distance.) I've been driving cars, vans and trucks for 50 years and have never encountered anything like this. Just wondering if it's a problem with this model, or specific to my (unlucky) vehicle.
nilesnorodo
If oncoming drivers constantly flash their high beams at you when you have your low beams on me thinks your headlights simply need to be aimed/adjusted.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-21-2015, 09:48 PM   #5

I own a Pleasure Way Excel also and you might check that the rear air bags have enough air so that the rear of your coach is slightly higher in the rear. I've found that when mine has lost a little air that rear sits slightly lower and people flash their lights at me on low beams. Just a thought
Old 07-22-2015, 06:48 AM   #6

Thanks!

I think you've found the answer. I'll let out some air and see how that works.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:03 PM   #7

If that fixes it by adjusting the Air, when find the right ride height...measure from the ground to the top of the rear wheel on both sides which should be near the same...write down that measurement somewhere so it's easy to check again if needed because you can't use a air gauge to check airbag pressure.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:35 PM   #8

When I painted the front piece that also holds the headlights. I removed the piece, then the headlights and parking lights. I remembered their orientation (I thought) and reassembled everything without issue.

The first time I drove at night I had exactly what you describe...I had the lamps upside down/180 off!

Why are the low beams brighter but yet lower? Why are the high beams higher but dimmer?
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:04 AM   #9

Correction on my post..."measure to the top of the rear wheelwell"