Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2014, 12:37 AM   #1

1989 Ford Econoline E250 Coachmen Class B RV engine ticking/knocking noise

Hey guys. I just bought an 89 Coachmen Ford Econoline E250. Got it from Vegas and it was one owner and carfax verified to have only 44000 miles on it. It is in mint condition. I drove it from Vegas to Little Rock Arkansas with no problems. I recently have been hearing a ticking noise coming from the right driver side engine area near the power steering pump. The ticking noise does not go away and the van is struggling to get over 55mph on the highway. Im not sure if it is and exhaust manifold or catalytic converter. Hopefully its not the valves or lifters. Just wanted to get some help and info on this. Anyone can help lemme know.

Also 2 other issues. My onan generator was worked on by a guy and he messed it up. Before it would work and I used the rooftop AC for 2 days. Now when I turn the fan option on the coleman rooftop ac it works, once I select the low cool or high cool option for the AC it shuts off. The regular fan option works on the rooftop unit when the genset is on but when the actual air condition option is selected like low cool or high cool, it shuts off right away.

The other issue is my monitor panel is not working and my propane tank if leaking propane from the valve. Any guys on here from the little rock area who work on rvs please contact me cus I wanna get it fixed. Any info or help on here? Lemme know guys.

I was referred to this forum by a gentleman that goes by the username Subford from ford forums. He told me the ticking noise could be from a disconnected spark plug, bad connection plug, or spark plug wire that is loose. The ticking noise came a few weeks after I had the van tuned up. New plugs and wires were installed. They are all aftermarket and not original motorcraft. I have not taken it in yet to see what the issue is. Anyone can help? Lemme know
ASYRIANELVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2014, 01:16 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome!!

Ticking could be hydraulic valve lifter sticking. Does it do it all the time, hot or cold, regardless of engine speed? if nor, probably not a lifter. Spark oeak is likely culprit.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Welcome!!

Ticking could be hydraulic valve lifter sticking. Does it do it all the time, hot or cold, regardless of engine speed? if nor, probably not a lifter. Spark oeak is likely culprit.
It has the 351 port fuel injection motor. I drove it 1400 froms vegas tolittle rock with no ticking. A couple of months ago I did a full tune up on it. It ran fan for a few weeks then all of a sudden I heard the ticking noise. It does it all the time and accelration from 55mph and above is very sluggish and delayed. It was not like this before.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:48 PM   #4

Ticking could be timing related or could be an exhaust leak. If its an exhaust leak check out the flow of exhaust through the Cat converter and pipe before the converter.Restricted flow will cause sluggish performance.
The generator is probably dieing under the load when the compressor kicks in.
This can be adjusted at the carb. If it cranks and runs without a heavy load you can get it running and adjust the fuel air mix and idle.to overcome the stalling.
Good luck
Jeff
jeffslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:44 PM   #5

Good news on my van guys. A really smart rv and ford guy from ford truck enthusiast forums told me the ticking noise was possibly the number 5 spark plug wire or spark plug loose causing ticking noise and acceleration problem. Well this gentleman was 100% right. And he got the exact spark plug #5 right. His name is subford from ford truck forums. Thank goodness no more ticking noise or acceleration problems. Advice to you guys, if yall ever hear a ticking noise check your plug, dist cap, rotor, and plug wires connection. Also ticking could come from a out of time timing belt or timing chain. Anyways thanks goodness im in the clear now. Just wanted to let you guys know.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:58 PM   #6

Is your Coachmen model an STARFLYTE?
flyaviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen, ford