Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:52 PM   #1

1990 Dodge Xplorer Headlights Not Working

Thanks for checking my post! 1 ton dodge van with the 360. I recently got it out of outside storage with lots of moister all winter. After a boost it started right up and everything seemed to be working fine. When it got dark out the other night I tried to turn my headlights on with no luck! I got the voltmeter out and when attaching the meter to the lights it shows it is getting power. Is this a ground thing? Is it possible both lights got moister and burnt out? Thanks again for your time!

Chris

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2015, 07:57 PM   #2

If you have power at the headlight connector, and no lights then you have the two possibilities , bulbs and ground.
Were you using the ground wire in the plug or grounding to the battery?

Old 05-10-2015, 08:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
If you have power at the headlight connector, and no lights then you have the two possibilities , bulbs and ground.
Were you using the ground wire in the plug or grounding to the battery?
We used the battery to boost, could that have done something with the ground? Or could the ground just be rusty somewhere?

Chris
Old 05-10-2015, 11:09 PM   #4

If the battery has charge , and will start the engine the battery connections should be good enough. Now finding the wiring harness ground to the body ; memory fails me at the moment , the ground wire for the harness may be attached to the inner fender in the area of the battery , and the battery might have to be removed to access for cleaning and repair.

Use an ohm meter and check , for any resistance between the black wire at the headlight plug and the battery negative terminal, if you have any resistance then you have a ground wire problem.
There should be a cable and a wire attached to the negative battery post at the clamp, the cable is the engine ground, to a bolt in the cylinder head, and the wire is the body ground, attached to the body , the wiring harness ground could be close to the point where the battery ground wire attaches to the body, look for any wire attached to the body with a metal screw and clean the paint from under the contact areas , then spray paint over when you get everything working.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:06 PM   #5

Quote:
If the battery has charge , and will start the engine the battery connections should be good enough. Now finding the wiring harness ground to the body ; memory fails me at the moment , the ground wire for the harness may be attached to the inner fender in the area of the battery , and the battery might have to be removed to access for cleaning and repair.

Use an ohm meter and check , for any resistance between the black wire at the headlight plug and the battery negative terminal, if you have any resistance then you have a ground wire problem.
There should be a cable and a wire attached to the negative battery post at the clamp, the cable is the engine ground, to a bolt in the cylinder head, and the wire is the body ground, attached to the body , the wiring harness ground could be close to the point where the battery ground wire attaches to the body, look for any wire attached to the body with a metal screw and clean the paint from under the contact areas , then spray paint over when you get everything working.
I checked all grounds and I do not feel as though it is a ground problem. Let me explain why I feel this way. Before putting the van in storage the door lock relay would start locking the door over and over again. After a few taps to the relay it would work fine. I was looking over the repair manual today and mentioned that this relay also controls the headlights as well. Low and behold the doors do not lock right now either. Could the relay be causing this?

Chris
Old 05-14-2015, 09:57 AM   #6

That sounds like odd circuitry to me . Although both lights & locks work with the ignition off.
Is your headlight switch on the dash and your dimmer on the turn signal stalk? Or is the headlight on/off switch a twist knob on the signal arm?
Didn't you say you had checked for power at the headlight plug and had a reading there?

I'm sitting here trying to remember 25 year old circuitry in my head , I'll see if I can pull up a file with a wiring diagram.
Do the power door locks , work off a switch in the door panel or are they activated by the manual lock knob, silver knob with power lock written on top?
Old 05-14-2015, 11:24 AM   #7

Quote:
That sounds like odd circuitry to me . Although both lights & locks work with the ignition off.
Is your headlight switch on the dash and your dimmer on the turn signal stalk? Or is the headlight on/off switch a twist knob on the signal arm?
Didn't you say you had checked for power at the headlight plug and had a reading there?

I'm sitting here trying to remember 25 year old circuitry in my head , I'll see if I can pull up a file with a wiring diagram.
Do the power door locks , work off a switch in the door panel or are they activated by the manual lock knob, silver knob with power lock written on top?
I have a 1989 Dodge Xplorer. My headlight switch is on the dash. Could of some critters got to the wiring during storage?
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
I have a 1989 Dodge Xplorer. My headlight switch is on the dash. Could of some critters got to the wiring during storage?
I am going to look into that. I am up in Alaska so that is a possibility.

skip ~ The door lock relay is just above the steering column. I have searched online with no luck of a certainty of a replacement. It is getting to the point to where I just might take it into a shop and have it looked at. And I may have not been fully connected to the wiring of the light and caused the reading to go up a bit. Now when I try it with certainty with the voltmeter fully connected it reads 0.00.

Chris

Tags
dodge, light, lights