Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:59 AM   #15

Very nice ERA you have there!

Curious...would it have been possible to option out the two rear seats...behind the driver/passenger...for some extra storage/armories by chance?

As for the $20K saved...you must have gotten a sweet deal, because I've seen the ERA/RS Adventurous go for roughly the same amount on a lot of different RV/Motorhome websites!

RogueRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2012, 07:39 AM   #16

Our ERA came with the optional storage cabinet installed behind the drivers seat. The seat is removed and delivered with the ERA, we're storing it in the basement of our home. I do not know of any factory option for a seat replacement cabinet behind the passenger. The configuration of the interior would make a cabinet in the area behind the passenger a bit difficult, but not impossible.
As for the $20k price advantage, our ERA listed for $105k and we bought it for $80k. The best offer we had on either a Roadtrek or a Airstream Sprinter based RV was a reduction from a list price of $120k to $100k. As I stated before, the 2012 ERA is a completely redesigned unit by Winnebago and the quality/appearance of the conversion is, imho, on par with the competition. I hope this info helps, Ron

Old 03-31-2012, 09:24 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
Well the weather here in Iowa is a bit better and I had my first modification done on Thursday. I felt the ERA looked like a circus wagon coming down the road as Winnebago IMHO, went over the top on the exterior graphics. So here's the pictures of our new ERA with about 60% of the graphic removed, leaving it with a much cleaner look. Click "view as a slide show" above pic #2.

2012 ERA pictures by RSchleder - Photobucket
Have you had the awning out yet? Please take a picture when you do next time. It looks like it will be a nice shade. That is one thing I wish I had on mine. Enjoy! (I had to post a pic of your nice B.)

goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:48 AM   #18

We've been on 2 trips so far with the ERA. Each trip was about 2000 miles and I'm pleased to say that everything, yes everything, has worked perfectly in the coach. It's the first RV we've ever bought that didn't need to return to the dealer with things to fix after our first trip.
We averaged 18.5 mpg on the first trip with a brand new engine and pulled our Mini Cooper on the second trip so didn't record the milage. We'll be heading for Washington State in July so we'll get a good look at the mileage at that time.
Haven't had the awning out yet so can't comment on the shade it provides.
At this point, we couldn't be more pleased with all aspects of the ERA, Winnebago did an excellent job with this Class B.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bris

Great choice great company good luck
I saw a new ERA yesterday at an RV show. I was impressed. It was parked next to a Roadtrek on a Sprinter chassis and if I was in the buying mode, I would have selected that ERA over that RT.

One thing I noted was I did not see any way a screen door would fit or function with the sliding door. Have any owners put a screen door that works with the sliding door area?

I have a leisure Van Libero and while it is only 1ft longer than the 24ft ERA , my Libero seems to have much more interior room (Liberio is 8ft wide), and it has a screen door, a skylight that opens with a screen and a shade with lots of exterior storage and reasonably sized tanks. Did not see much exterior storage on the ERA, but I know the ERA will get much better mileage than my Libero - but it takes deisel which seems to cost more than regular gass (really don't know the reason for that) but still I believe fuel costs overall are less on the ERA. It is a nice coach without doubt.

I am very lucky to get 15mpg with my Libero and for that I must have all the stars lined up such as reasonably flat terain, speed< 60 and perhaps a bit of tailwind helping out. (milage is with Smart car in Tow) Love the air ride assist on the Libero. Maybe ERA has that also. Libero is on a chevy chassis and the ride is supurb with a lot of power on the V8 engine. I can increase speed while climbing hills but at a greater cost in fuel. Leisure Van have the same van as the Libero on a Sprinter chassis (the Serenity looks great) and it is reported to get 18mpg.)

The combined weight of my Libero with Smart Car in tow with filled fresh, fuel and propane tanks, with two people and all the kit we travel with weighed in on the DOT scales @ 13,950lbs on that particular day. If our holding tanks were full also there would be that added weight, but we seldom, if ever, travel with full fresh and full waste tanks the same time. The GVWR on the Libero is 12,300 lbs and combined weight max while towing is 16,000lbs so we travel well within the limits of our vehicle specs. The Smart car weighs about 1800lbs. The Libero tech spec, like many other class B's, say they can tow 5000lbs. But then look at the combined weight and some quick math indicates one would have to strip RV down to almost empty tanks and less gear etc to stay within the combined limit by towing a 5000lb unit.

I essence we love our Libero, but the ERA I saw is also a great coach, Good choice.

We downsized from a 40ft Monaco Dynasty and do not regret the switch to a smaller rig at this stage in our lives. Look to hear more how you make out with the ERA.

Happy RVing.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #20

i see that winnebago is coming out with an era 70a series. is this new for 13? i think i like the configuration of this one better than the 70x. has a small couch behind the driver's seat with the tv straight across on the countertop. tv swivel's so that you can watch it from outside under the awning. has anyone seen one of these new 70a models yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
I saw a new ERA yesterday at an RV show. I was impressed. It was parked next to a Roadtrek on a Sprinter chassis and if I was in the buying mode, I would have selected that ERA over that RT.

One thing I noted was I did not see any way a screen door would fit or function with the sliding door. Have any owners put a screen door that works with the sliding door area?

I have a leisure Van Libero and while it is only 1ft longer than the 24ft ERA , my Libero seems to have much more interior room (Liberio is 8ft wide), and it has a screen door, a skylight that opens with a screen and a shade with lots of exterior storage and reasonably sized tanks. Did not see much exterior storage on the ERA, but I know the ERA will get much better mileage than my Libero - but it takes deisel which seems to cost more than regular gass (really don't know the reason for that) but still I believe fuel costs overall are less on the ERA. It is a nice coach without doubt.

I am very lucky to get 15mpg with my Libero and for that I must have all the stars lined up such as reasonably flat terain, speed< 60 and perhaps a bit of tailwind helping out. (milage is with Smart car in Tow) Love the air ride assist on the Libero. Maybe ERA has that also. Libero is on a chevy chassis and the ride is supurb with a lot of power on the V8 engine. I can increase speed while climbing hills but at a greater cost in fuel. Leisure Van have the same van as the Libero on a Sprinter chassis (the Serenity looks great) and it is reported to get 18mpg.)

The combined weight of my Libero with Smart Car in tow with filled fresh, fuel and propane tanks, with two people and all the kit we travel with weighed in on the DOT scales @ 13,950lbs on that particular day. If our holding tanks were full also there would be that added weight, but we seldom, if ever, travel with full fresh and full waste tanks the same time. The GVWR on the Libero is 12,300 lbs and combined weight max while towing is 16,000lbs so we travel well within the limits of our vehicle specs. The Smart car weighs about 1800lbs. The Libero tech spec, like many other class B's, say they can tow 5000lbs. But then look at the combined weight and some quick math indicates one would have to strip RV down to almost empty tanks and less gear etc to stay within the combined limit by towing a 5000lb unit.

I essence we love our Libero, but the ERA I saw is also a great coach, Good choice.

We downsized from a 40ft Monaco Dynasty and do not regret the switch to a smaller rig at this stage in our lives. Look to hear more how you make out with the ERA.

Happy RVing.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:19 AM   #21

To answer one of the questions above, yes you can buy a custom made screen for the Sprinter van. They are a bit pricey, $500 for the sliding door screen and $300 for the rear door screen. We bought the sliding door screen and have had a bit of difficultly installing it. The instructions say to pull off the rubber seal surrounding the entire door and put the screen material behind the rubber while re-installing it. My rubber door surround is really tight and I'm not anxious to remove/re-install it. We're thinking about using some velcro instead but haven't tried it yet. Will report on our final solution when we figure it out. I will say that the fantastic fan, with the windows open really pulls a large amount of air into the ERA so that makes the screen install less of a big deal.
I have not seen the 2013 ERA in person but did go to:

Winnebago, Itasca, Era New - Used Motorhomes for Sale, Iowa RV Dealer - Lichtsinn Motors

and did the video. Not sure I'm sold on the new floor plan, seems to chop up the interior quite a bit. The one thing I do see is a much larger refrigerator. We're happy with the smaller frig as I's rather have the living space and shop a bit more often.
The comment about storage space in a Sprinter is right on, it's pretty limited. We are using plastic storage pans that fit nicely under the rear couch and reach them from the rear of the van. After down sizing from our Allegro Bus, we really like the Sprinter based ERA, the fuel mileage, the way it drives, rides, and handles. We did, however, re-evaluate everything we carried in the Bus in order to reduce the amount of items that will fit into the ERA.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder
To answer one of the questions above, yes you can buy a custom made screen for the Sprinter van. They are a bit pricey, $500 for the sliding door screen and $300 for the rear door screen. We bought the sliding door screen and have had a bit of difficultly installing it. The instructions say to pull off the rubber seal surrounding the entire door and put the screen material behind the rubber while re-installing it. My rubber door surround is really tight and I'm not anxious to remove/re-install it. We're thinking about using some velcro instead but haven't tried it yet. Will report on our final solution when we figure it out. I will say that the fantastic fan, with the windows open really pulls a large amount of air into the ERA so that makes the screen install less of a big deal.
I have not seen the 2013 ERA in person but did go to:

Winnebago, Itasca, Era New - Used Motorhomes for Sale, Iowa RV Dealer - Lichtsinn Motors

and did the video. Not sure I'm sold on the new floor plan, seems to chop up the interior quite a bit. The one thing I do see is a much larger refrigerator. We're happy with the smaller frig as I's rather have the living space and shop a bit more often.
The comment about storage space in a Sprinter is right on, it's pretty limited. We are using plastic storage pans that fit nicely under the rear couch and reach them from the rear of the van. After down sizing from our Allegro Bus, we really like the Sprinter based ERA, the fuel mileage, the way it drives, rides, and handles. We did, however, re-evaluate everything we carried in the Bus in order to reduce the amount of items that will fit into the ERA.
Have suggestions for sprinter owners
Having to down size after accident in 2010 ,ERA did not have to my knowledge a 3500 . Four winds had a 170s having it for two years
We up grade to my spec went on a 8000 mile trip Went well.We only get about 16 mi per gal .For upgrades for storage I added 6in to all back seat and bed.
Also added a shelf under bed on back two doors and a shelf on all top back cabinet and a lot more will post pic when I learn how.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #23

When Winnebago reintroduced the ERA in 2012, they did so on the 3500 Sprinter chassis. I would not have bought it without the heavier chassis and dual rear wheels!
Old 05-19-2012, 06:39 AM   #24

We just purchased the ERA and I agree about the appearance. How did you take off the graphics?? We just love it and we use it as our tow car.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #25

Does anyone know how the Lichtsinn ERA 34 grand Cash/trade deal works? Or if you thought it was any good? Thanks.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #26

Unfortunately, I have no idea how the "sample trade" shown works. I guess I alway just thought it was an example to stimulate a thought process on how much a buyer might have to pay after a typical trade-in. Not sure though! If you need an answer, call Nicole at Lichtsinn and she'll get the info for you.
We're still luvin the ERA!
Old 06-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #27

A search on the forums and rvtrader shows the 70x can be had for 80 grand. But what about the 70a? Has anyone ever read about a 70a selling for 80 grand in their online research? I have not been able to find any mention of the 70a at that price point. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #28

My recommendation is you call Lichtsinn, ask for Nicole and get a quote. I did and the initial quote they gave me was within 1k of my purchase price so you will get your answer. Lichtsinn is a no BS dealer, they WILL shoot you a sell price very, very close to their bottom dollar.

To the question above about the decal removal. I see 2 options, (1)slightly heat with a hair dryer and peel the unwanted decals off. (2) Take it to your friendly local body shop and for a couple hundred bucks, they should do the job for you. Any more that $200 or so is too much!