Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:12 PM   #1

2015 Ford Transit

Any thoughts on this new van coming from Ford?

Looks like a Sprinter van, but it's unibody, not body on frame. GVWR up to 10,360lbs. Variety of engine choices, including deisel.

This should make an interesting platform for a B van, especially as an alternative to the Sprinter. Any of the RV makers announce support for this van?

Thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #2

The "Transit" has been European Ford's main van model for many years. When I was with Norton-Villiers in England in 1967, our motocross team used a 28' dually version with a V-6 engine to transport the AJS team bikes to race meetings.

Since Alan Mulally took the helm at Ford, he dropped their design group's practice of designing completely different models for different international markets. Now the only differences are in the available engines and in specific market safety requirements. It's likely that the Transit in the US market will be the same as the European version, but probably with more power/bigger engines. You certainly wouldn't want a van with a 350 V8 if you're paying $9 a gallon for gas.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #3

If it's priced reasonably, I think that it would make a great RV platform - especially with the small diesel. They are also offering a V6 and a turbo V6. All they are competing with is Mercedes Benz, so price may not be an issue. I just wonder that with the unibody, is there room underneath for tanks and other items.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:35 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think this will be a very interesting change for Class B's and Class C's...
because there is already a cab/chassis being advertised.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ctr15_highlight_lg_modelconfig.jpg
Views:	706
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	57410

See: Ford - Cars, SUVs, Trucks & Crossovers | Ford Vehicles | The Official Site of Ford Vehicles | Ford.com

And the Benz-Sprinter has another competitor coming to the US market from Dodge as the ProMaster in the rebadged Fiat Ducato - already signed with Winnie for the Trend:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Winnebago-Trend.jpg
Views:	1241
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	57411

See: 2014 Ram ProMaster® - Work & Cargo Van for Multiple Needs

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
I

And the Benz-Sprinter has another competitor coming to the US market from Dodge as the ProMaster in the rebadged Fiat Ducato - already signed with Winnie for the Trend:
Just can't wrap my head around anything from Fiat being of durable, and lasting quality.
This will take some time for me to accept, but overall, I love the design itself. low floor, front wheel drive, awesome!!
Old 03-26-2014, 07:19 PM   #6

1970 was a long time ago.

Fiats are better now. Camaro's too !
Old 03-26-2014, 07:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
1970 was a long time ago.

Fiats are better now. Camaro's too !
Agree, I guess the question is how much better, I would hope much better

But then one has to consider the overall instability and constant crisis of Chrysler, as a company.I say that as a person who likes Chrysler products in general, but their foreign made components seem to be very unstable as far as long term partnerships.
If it was a Japanese company, like Honda, Nissan, Toyota....
Old 03-27-2014, 08:36 AM   #8

Slightly off topic. There's a neat phrase I like: "Perception lags reality". The perception is that one must buy an Asian car to get good quality. The reality is that others have met, and sometime passed, the Asians. Who was just fined over a billion dollars for delaying their safety process for resolving unintended acceleration? (the name starts with "T").

BTW, Nissan is owned or controlled by Renault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJerryP View Post
...If it was a Japanese company, like Honda, Nissan, Toyota....
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:12 AM   #9

People are stuck in the 1970s, I guess....
Old 03-28-2014, 12:04 AM   #10

Nobody is stuck anywhere, and perception is not lagging reality..

Fiat is newly returned to the US, and has not earned a positive reputation yet.
Considering their previous exploits in the US market, I think it is fair to be concerned about reliability, longevity of the product line, and whether they can even make it in the market.
Those should be considered fair, and logical concerns by anyone considering buying an expensive product for long term use.
Except perhaps for the people who have to go buy the latest, newest products.
I always buy my vehicles for reliability, and quality. I have no wish too sop end time going back to the dealer.

Companies earn their reputation with quality products. Which is why I have a Nissan truck, a new Cadillac, and a Miata, along with a Honda motorcycle.
3 of the 4 were made in the USA.......just traded a Toyota though, and it was trouble free, would buy another without a second thought.

Apparently Mercedes has proven itself and penetrated the market enough for Ford to take notice, and make big changes. The sprinter van, seems to have proven itself a fairly reliable vehicle, and Mercedes seems to be dedicated to staying in the market.
That is not an easy task with Ford, and GM pretty much owning the large Van market.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJerryP View Post
...Considering their previous exploits in the US market, I think it is fair to be concerned about reliability, longevity of the product line, and whether they can even make it in the market....
40 years is a long time. Fiat is one of the largest auto producers in the world.

I think it's fair to think they've improved a bit since then.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
40 years is a long time. Fiat is one of the largest auto producers in the world.

I think it's fair to think they've improved a bit since then.
It is fair to hope, but never assume.
Fair to hope, but what comes here, is not always what is sold there, due to market demographic, laws, rules, and regulations. Same in reverse that we do not send the same vehicles overseas, that we sell here...That is even true for the California markets.
So, I shall keep an eye on the Fiat/Dodge, and hope it works well, because the concept is awesome, but I want to see how the execution of the concept works longer term.
I prefer to learn from the mistakes of others who like to be first in line, as it is a much less expensive lesson.
Remember most of the first pioneers lost their scalps

Tags
ford