RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:45 PM   #1

iRV2 No Limits Club
2020 MB Sprinter Leads Van Safety

Link to "Motortrend News" story about the 2020-Mercedez-Benz Sprinter "Leads the Commercial Van Safety Charge"

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020...rinter-safety/

Would enjoy your Feedback and review of the story.

Dogman635UT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2020, 09:02 PM   #2

I can totally believe this; nice article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman635UT View Post
Link to "Motortrend News" story about the 2020-Mercedez-Benz Sprinter "Leads the Commercial Van Safety Charge"

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020...rinter-safety/

Would enjoy your Feedback and review of the story.
Mercedes Benz leads the way in a lot of innovative systems and this doesn't surprise me at all.

Remember, just because you might be driving the most popular vehicle doesn't make it better....

And, the Mercedes Benz is one of the most expensive options....

I happen to have a 2011 Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3500... and while I do like it, I will be candid and admit that it's more EXPENSIVE to maintain.... and more drama......

The check engine light came on a few times when I first got it.... emissions system was a problem and Mercedes Benz dealership stepped up and replaced it for me under warranty....

Look, I'm not saying that you can't enjoy your domestic van, it's certainly a different experience.... I test drove a few...
I happen to think that the Mercedes Benz Sprinter is really a step above and beyond the domestic models....

Not just safety, it's the interior and exterior features.... your choice.

MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:57 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
My choice is the Ford Transit No question the MB lines are better than the domestic lines but they come with a price to match. I chose a solid dependable van with just enough accessories to make driving it enjoyable just couldnt justify a MB build price
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:03 PM   #4

I currently have both a 2013 Roadtrek RS and a 2020 Winnebago Revel Sprinter. While I knew the newer chassis was going to be an improvement, I am surprised at how much better it is. Especially like the cruise control that automatically keeps its distance from the vehicle in front of you. Lane keeping assist, blind spot monitoring and parking assist are all useful too.
Knittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:46 PM   #5

Of course it's better.... you paid for it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittler View Post
I currently have both a 2013 Roadtrek RS and a 2020 Winnebago Revel Sprinter. While I knew the newer chassis was going to be an improvement, I am surprised at how much better it is. Especially like the cruise control that automatically keeps its distance from the vehicle in front of you. Lane keeping assist, blind spot monitoring and parking assist are all useful too.
No argument here....the 2020 definitely has more advanced technology features than your 2013 or my 2012.....

The key is the price. It's a decision that only you can make. People purchase new cars and vans on safety and technology, however it's a very high investment ( not really a great investment...if you want to argue that it's even an investment at all....I personally don't think it is....

The question is do you really think that the only way to be safe is to have all of these technology features?? I think there's a balance, meaning, you certainly want basic stuff like ABS, electronic stability control, air bags, cruise control, .... I question whether or not you really need adaptive cruise, blind spot, cameras and automatic braking.....

That's what mirrors, good judgement, focus and concentration is about.....

Driving is one of the most complex set of skills you can do.... although a lot of people take this for granted...

I have plenty of safety systems on my 2012 model... including backup and forward facing cameras....air bags, full hands free audio and phone integration.... It's all on a 2011 Mercedes Benz Sprinter platform 3500 platform....

It's a whole different driving experience in the domestic models.... I know, I test drove them... there is a difference.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittler View Post
Lane keeping assist, blind spot monitoring and parking assist are all useful too.
How well does the blind spot monitoring work on your van. It the worst I've ever experienced in any vehicle on mine, and a search for answers on the 'net suggests mine is far from the only one. The dealer, also a Sprinter service location, said it's working as it's supposed to, but it registers vehicles 1/4 mile back, or not there at all, even with there's no guard rail anywhere around (they can interpret guard rails as cars sometimes). And it often just shuts down and disables itself.

Every other car or SUV I've owned or otherwise driven that has BSM worked or works flawlessly. Not happy.

I was just wondering if they've gotten things working properly for the next generation vans.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:01 AM   #7

Managed expectations.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
How well does the blind spot monitoring work on your van. It the worst I've ever experienced in any vehicle on mine, and a search for answers on the 'net suggests mine is far from the only one. The dealer, also a Sprinter service location, said it's working as it's supposed to, but it registers vehicles 1/4 mile back, or not there at all, even with there's no guard rail anywhere around (they can interpret guard rails as cars sometimes). And it often just shuts down and disables itself.

Every other car or SUV I've owned or otherwise driven that has BSM worked or works flawlessly. Not happy.

I was just wondering if they've gotten things working properly for the next generation vans.
As I said earlier, all of these technology features are really great when they are working.....

A number of years ago I used to be an "early adopter" for a lot of technology stuff... I'm not going to tell you what it's not important....

BUT, what I discovered is anyone who wants to be on the "cutting edge" of all this is going to have to pay the most money and those who wait for some of this to become mainstream will get it for a much lower cost and usually an improved version.....

All of this is coming very soon...in the meantime, you can still drive your vehicle with plenty of safety systems...

Mercedes Benz is very good at updating technology... they will probably do it for you if you keep after them....

My RV had an emissions system issue, they not only replaced the entire system, they updated all my software...at no charge. I was very happy.....

Go back to your dealership and speak with them.... they want to sell you another vehicle in the future.... it's in their best interest to see this working.... and they have a stellar reputation to protect....

Just be patient....it will all work out.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post

The one on my 2019 Sprinter chassis works fine and is about the same as the system on my 2017 Chevy Bolt. No complaints.

Knittler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety