Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question 4X4 Pathfinder - Clean Slate

HELP - I'm designing my dream day-trip/overnight/weekender rig.

I already have a stout Dual Fuel (Gas/LP), V8 powered Pathfinder 4X4 Van (Gen3 Ford Econoline)...

The front end has 2 captain's chairs and I want to install a jack-knife bench seat that I already have acquired - but I haven't yet picked where to put it.

I want to add a basic cabinette in the interior that will contain a fridge, sinktop w/ hidden tank and space to store a chem-toilet...ala' "Sports Mobile." Want it to be low weight, so modular (like molded plastic) appeals.

I can do all my own basic mechanical work, but my weak point is woodwork and obviously I wouldn't attempt molded composite furniture.

Does anyone know a source for interior parts that would fit this project? Any floorplans that you have preferred?

Thnanks in advance
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
HELP - Anybody out there? Looking for advice on my Quadravan project.

How about this...Would you put the jack knife bench/bed in the far back (w/ kitchen cabinette in the middle) or put the jack knife bench/bed in the middle (as a second row of seats w/ cabinette in the back?

I have seen both set-ups in Class "B's." Any opinions?
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 09-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
HELP - Anybody out there? Looking for advice on my Quadravan project.

How about this...Would you put the jack knife bench/bed in the far back (w/ kitchen cabinette in the middle) or put the jack knife bench/bed in the middle (as a second row of seats w/ cabinette in the back?

I have seen both set-ups in Class "B's." Any opinions?
I assume you're not planning on packing the bike.

IMHO = Putting the jack knife in the back, you could put it on a swivel point and use it in either the front facing position, or open the back and use it as an extension while hanging your feet out the back. (Think Outlaw rear drop down bed / fold to either side, right?) Also, gives a more "open feel" for the balance of the unit even after you add the cabinets, ect.

On the other hand, putting it as a middle seat, immediately behind the front, you could fabricate some sort of pivoting system to turn it 90 degrees while parked, and again you can dangle your feet to your heart's content...move the bulky cabinet stuff (tank, ext) towards the rear may give you better traction on the 4 x 4 too...

SOmewhere, in the dark recesses of my file cabinets, I have some shots of a 4x4 van I had, ah "back awhile". If I can find them, I forward them to you, but not on the public airways. I'd never hear the end of it. Orange paint, fuzzy interior, and cheap paneling, not to mention the peace sticker or deadhead decal. alas, we all grow up.

Sounds like an awesome project. It's times like these when it sucks we're on either coast. Would love to see it in person as it comes alive!
Old 09-22-2012, 12:14 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BpK9Miami View Post
I assume you're not planning on packing the bike.

IMHO = Putting the jack knife in the back, you could put it on a swivel point and use it in either the front facing position, or open the back and use it as an extension while hanging your feet out the back. (Think Outlaw rear drop down bed / fold to either side, right?) Also, gives a more "open feel" for the balance of the unit even after you add the cabinets, ect.

On the other hand, putting it as a middle seat, immediately behind the front, you could fabricate some sort of pivoting system to turn it 90 degrees while parked, and again you can dangle your feet to your heart's content...move the bulky cabinet stuff (tank, ext) towards the rear may give you better traction on the 4 x 4 too...

SOmewhere, in the dark recesses of my file cabinets, I have some shots of a 4x4 van I had, ah "back awhile". If I can find them, I forward them to you, but not on the public airways. I'd never hear the end of it. Orange paint, fuzzy interior, and cheap paneling, not to mention the peace sticker or deadhead decal. alas, we all grow

Sounds like an awesome project. It's times like these when it sucks we're on either coast. Would love to see it in person as it comes alive!
Hey Dan (Mack)...is it Dan or Mack?
Thanks for the feedback! After I posted, I thought I heard someone say "Queue the crickets!"
The bench/bed folds front or rear or flat as a bed...so I was leaning toward the rear. But then I saw a new Thor model that uses the front chairs of a class A for a sitting/dining area with a removeable table....hmmmm.

See ya on the Outlaw threads.

Later,
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 09-22-2012, 06:16 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Hey Dan (Mack)...is it Dan or Mack?
Thanks for the feedback! After I posted, I thought I heard someone say "Queue the crickets!"
The bench/bed folds front or rear or flat as a bed...so I was leaning toward the rear. But then I saw a new Thor model that uses the front chairs of a class A for a sitting/dining area with a removeable table....hmmmm.

See ya on the Outlaw threads.

Later,
Either one works...one's on the birth certificate, the other I'm labeled with as a result of being Scot's/Irish....you know the drill.

Some years back, there was a guy in our off road club who had two sets of captains chairs in his rig. Nice, but it always seemed to me that they used a lot of room if you planned on parking somewhere after your journey. My rig had the folding bed in the back, with storage under - stashing blankets and what-all's in the area worked well for us. Back in those days about the only time we slept in it was during inclement weather, most of the time we had a tent set up outside the rig and just used it for stashing or staging stuff. Frankly, I don't think we had enough experience to know what we wanted back then, it was just "cool" to use as transport to those out of the way places.