Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:25 AM   #1

Question Advice on buying RV

Hello one and all:

Want to ask about purchasing an RV for the first time. I am just beginning to look and I am the type of person that will take the time and analyze a purchase. No matter how long it may take. I am looking at Class B and B+.

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Definetly looking at used and unfortunately can't afford rather new. I am very handy so not much scares me as far as repairs. I would leave the engine problems which I hope to avoid to my mechanic.

Trying to stay with a Ford Chasis....I am partial to Ford's. Own a 1/2 ton F-150 now.

I don't plan on towing a vehicle when the RV is in use and would like to keep the purchase under 24 ft and under 24k.

Slides? Not sure...should I look at ones with or without? The advantages and disadvantages?

Thank you in advance for your input!

bimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2015, 11:32 AM   #2

I have a 1989 Dodge Xplorer which I love and it is a Class B.

My girlfriend has a 2002 Carri-go Dynamax which is a officially a Class C but could be considered a B+. It is on a Ford Chassis. F450 with V10 engine. It is about 25 foot in length and not intimidating to drive. It has a slide out. What a difference it makes for room.

It all depends what you want to use it for. Mine is good for a 1 or 2 night stay. Her's is good for extended stays. Her's also has an on board generator which I love.

That is great you can work on things as you will get a better deal.

Best wishes,

goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:53 AM   #3

I have been in the research phase for a few years now and sometimes go cold for long spells. I don't have much advice for you other than read this forum, Class B forum (search google cause I don't have link), other forums, watch utubes and just keep gathering information. As far as slides, well that is a personal needs/wants thing so it's good you ask for opinions. You have found a great website (welcome) but you won't get all your answers in your thread, many of these questions have been asked,,, just spend a few thousand hours looking through the forums lol......I know I continue to do so.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:10 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Rent one. You may be surprised at how your perspective may change after using one.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:15 AM   #5

I agree with renting one. We just traded our 13 yo Ford Trail-Lite B+ for a new Class B diesel. We wish they still made those, never had a problem with it, the V10 Ford engine was fast also. They made more B+ on Fords yrs back than they do now, and we probably would have gotten another Trail-Lite which were also decently priced. We love our new Class B, love it's driveability etc., but sometimes miss the slightly larger size of the B+ also. It's a trade off. I personally think we will eventually go back to the B+ size, would also love a 4x4 ;o). The only way you will really ever know is to actually stay in one a few days.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARRYOWEN View Post
I have been in the research phase for a few years now and sometimes go cold for long spells. I don't have much advice for you other than read this forum, Class B forum (search google cause I don't have link), other forums, watch utubes and just keep gathering information. As far as slides, well that is a personal needs/wants thing so it's good you ask for opinions. You have found a great website (welcome) but you won't get all your answers in your thread, many of these questions have been asked,,, just spend a few thousand hours looking through the forums lol......I know I continue to do so.
lol We should have a club, I could have written that...
Old 06-24-2015, 07:15 AM   #7

Forget the slides, since you are going used, on a budget you will have more to choose from in a B by eliminating slides...check Liesure Travel, Great West Van, and Advanced RV, Advanced does customs but often has demos for sale....I also really like Safari Condo, they are Canadian like Liesure Travel, but rarely show up used...Good Luck...
Old 06-24-2015, 09:34 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Slides are an RV multiplier. You definitely want them if you can get them.
Note, the E450 is a much more business-like chassis than the F-150. It's a bit like a U-haul in terms of how it drives.

And I agree with the above. Rent for a weekend. I know it's expensive, but not as expensive as buying the wrong RV up front.

Fuel economy:
You're aware that in a Class-B V10, you're probably looking at 10mpg and that may be optimistic. May Class-Cs are in the 7mpg range.

I'd research the various issues on the V10s. They were essentially resolved by 2005, but a 2005 may or may not be out of your price range, it's kinda right on the edge.

Start shopping. Don't get in a hurry. In fact, I'd say don't decide on one until you've looked at 10 or more.

Find a pre-purchase check list. Walk through all of it before buying.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:48 AM   #9

We are still looking ourselves. Another research angle is to talk with owners at campgrounds or dealers / shops. We ran into an owner yesterday at local dealer when I stopped to ask shop a water heater Q. She - the owner of new Pleasure Way - was very helpful.

Happy hunting!

Tags
advice