Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2018, 03:17 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
AGM Battery replacement

I need to replace the coach batteries in my 2017 Travato and have been looking at Renogy batteries.

Anyone with experience on Renogy?

Thanks.
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2018, 04:07 PM   #2

Slightly more familiar with Battle Born, after a few months of research.
The 100Ah BB10012 battery is about $50 more than the Renogy, last time I checked, but it has an estimated 3000 full discharge cycles, versus 2000 cycles for the Renogy. It sounds like Renogy batteries might be a little pickier about charging, storage, etc., but again, I'm not very familiar with Renogy. BB can handle 100A of charge I believe, while the Renogy counterpart maxes at 50A according to their website specs.
You might want to check Amazon or other retailer websites for reviews from actual buyers.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:19 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Be aware if you decide to replace AGM with LiFePO4 Lithium batteries you will have problems with the OEM converter charger not being able to fully charge them, you have to replace it with a different one that is designed to work with LiFePO4 ones. The OEM Battery Isolation Manager (BIM) will also have issues with connecting the chassis and coach battery circuits together to charge when driving. Think there is also solutions for this too. Bottom line, you have to do more than just swap the battery so allow for several hundred dollars on top of the battery cost.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:31 PM   #4

Did your Travato come with Zamp solar panel(s) on the roof? If so, and it came with the ZS-30A charge controller, it's got a lithium charge algorithm setting, so it may not be necessary to fiddle with the converter/charger. The solar charger will finish the job. Battle Born support OKed my stock factory setup to charge a couple of their 100Ah 12V batteries. Again, that doesn't mean Renogy will be the same. The Battle Born lithiums should be pretty much plug and play for me. When I get around to it. My Napa FLAs are still in good shape, so I'm holding off on going LiFePo4 until they start to fail. Who knows, they may even get a little cheaper while I wait?
FYI.
Good luck with it.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Be aware if you decide to replace AGM with LiFePO4 Lithium batteries you will have problems with the OEM converter charger not being able to fully charge them, you have to replace it with a different one that is designed to work with LiFePO4 ones. The OEM Battery Isolation Manager (BIM) will also have issues with connecting the chassis and coach battery circuits together to charge when driving. Think there is also solutions for this too. Bottom line, you have to do more than just swap the battery so allow for several hundred dollars on top of the battery cost.

Thanks for pointing this out. Every time I think about what I will do next time batteries need replacing I end up doubtful that I can just drop in LiFePO4 in place of my AGM without having to consider other components in the system like the battery separator, charger, solar, etc.
knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by knit View Post
Thanks for pointing this out. Every time I think about what I will do next time batteries need replacing I end up doubtful that I can just drop in LiFePO4 in place of my AGM without having to consider other components in the system like the battery separator, charger, solar, etc.

Before you get discouraged, google "plug and play lithium batteries" or "drop in lithium batteries". There's lots of information from manufacturers and vendors out there, as well as anecdotal experience (videos) out there, if you look for it. If you're serious about switching to lithium, contact the manufacturers first and tell them your current charging/usage setup, and ask them if it will work for their batteries. They'll tell you what will or won't work.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:06 PM   #7

Battle Born says my inverter/charger at least would have to be upgraded. A real pain because the inverter/charger is under the drivers seat. But I didn’t ask about the battery separator or solar controller.

My point in thanking powercat is that there more than just dropping in new batteries. The whole system needs to work together.
knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by knit View Post
My point in thanking powercat is that there more than just dropping in new batteries. The whole system needs to work together.
That's true in any case. Always do your homework first.
Good luck with it.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:16 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I am looking at the Renogy AGM not a Battle Borne. Can't afford two of those! I have a Zamp controller that lets you set the battery type but just staying AGM should not be a problem. I was just wondering about quality and life of a Renogy.
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 05:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmessinger View Post
I am looking at the Renogy AGM not a Battle Borne. Can't afford two of those! I have a Zamp controller that lets you set the battery type but just staying AGM should not be a problem. I was just wondering about quality and life of a Renogy.
In that case, I doubt that one is significantly better than another, based on web searches.
In my first reply, I compared the 2, including their prices for the same Ah capacity which are only $50 difference. As far as real world experience, nope. Just what others have posted up elsewhere. Seems like a lot of negativity and conjecture on the forums about them. I think it's the price that gets people's backs up on LiFePO4.
Here's an example review of deep cycle batteries that might be helpful. I googled "renogy vs battleborn" but you can just do "renogy lithium battery reviews" or something similar.
https://www.outsidepursuits.com/best...cycle-battery/
Old 01-17-2019, 07:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Hi, your comment about not being able to charge to 100% is not necessarily true. I have a factory installed 2004 charger with a Charge Wizard. My new Life Blue LiFePO batteries have an excellent Battery Management System that measures each cell individually. All I need to do is use the Charge Wizard in manual mode and it will fully charge my lithiums.

Read your charger manual to see if it's OK to keep vs paying $$ for something that may not need to be replaced.

I can provide this advice. Although, not familiar with the Renogy batteries, the cost is reasonable. Battle Born, Region and Life Blue are more costly but these batteries are reliable and quality batteries. I would compare all 4 and see which one meets your needs.

DO NOT even consider Smart Batteries ... not a good company, not good batteries and have multiple BBB complaints that are deserved.

Extremely happy with my Life Blue LiFePO batteries and the ease in monitoring them using a Bluetooth app on my smart phone.

Cheers, Steve
scubastevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:11 PM   #12

[QUOTE=scubastevee;4594358]Hi, your comment about not being able to charge to 100% is not necessarily true. I have a factory installed 2004 charger with a Charge Wizard. My new Life Blue LiFePO batteries have an excellent Battery Management System that measures each cell individually. All I need to do is use the Charge Wizard in manual mode and it will fully charge my lithiums.

Read your charger manual to see if it's OK to keep vs paying $$ for something that may not need to be replaced.

I can provide this advice. Although, not familiar with the Renogy batteries, the cost is reasonable. Battle Born, Region and Life Blue are more costly but these batteries are reliable and quality batteries. I would compare all 4 and see which one meets your needs.

DO NOT even consider Smart Batteries ... not a good company, not good batteries and have multiple BBB complaints that are deserved.

Extremely happy with my Life Blue LiFePO batteries and the ease in monitoring them using a Bluetooth app on my smart phone.

Cheers, Steve[/QUOTE Relion, not Region for anyone reading this.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubastevee View Post
Not Relion not Region for anyone reading this.
Relion is the company. Useless auto complete!!
Old 07-13-2019, 01:11 PM   #14

Call Battleborn. I just replaced my NAPA house batteries with BB after talking with them and giving them all the info on my 2016 Travato 59G. Do not have to replace anything, but you do need a better battery monitoring unit like the Victron . Everything works fine, and charges OK. I have no solar.
Djarcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, battery, replace, replacement