Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-09-2016, 02:42 PM   #1

Another Era 70X owner! (long)

Hello all,

My wife and I bought a new 2016 Winnie Era 70X two months ago. This is our first RV. We have been looking at RV's for almost two years. The class C style was our first choice. After thinking about where we could park the RV and not wanting to tow a vehicle, we started looking at class B's. My wife likes Mercedes, so the Era was a good fit.

We really liked the Airstream, and had been talking with a dealer in Ohio. He also showed us the Era 70X. The Airstream had more options than the Era, but was a lot more money. We found an Era at another dealer and liked it. The Ohio dealer could not come close to matching the price. In fact, he called Winnebago direct and asked them how an Era could be sold at our price. He claims Winnebago said it was not possible. We went through the option sheet and found the same basic options as the Airstream. Our Ohio dealer actually told me that this price was crazy low, and to buy it from his competitor!!

We did buy it and are happy with it. The Era is missing the big options from the Airstream: side camera's, lane departure warning & aluminum wheels. We would have liked those options, but the Era was $43K less than the Airstream. We figured this was a pretty good RV for our first time. Heck, we did not even know if we would like it.

We do have the back up camera/GPS/stereo in dash, 2nd coach battery, interior valence package etc.

I call ours a 2016 1/2, because we have the mid year change to the interior that matches the 2017. Smooth European cabinets, regular kitchen faucet not the folding kind and the touch screen control panel for all the operations, lights, gen, water pump and fluid levels on all tanks, black, grey, fresh & propane.

We have discovered that storage is a big issue with class B's, especially the 70X. We chose the 70X because we liked the couch area and did not want to have to put the slide out to get to the bed. Not a big deal, we just liked the floorpan more. The storage is better on the 70C & A. (slide out rear tray)

Our only night of camping was fun. Hooked up to 30 amp & water no problem. Next day was my first attempt to dump tanks. I read the massive collection of owners manuals and felt I was ready. black tank dump through macerator was picture perfect. Grey tank dump was not so good. Pulled handle and turned on macerator.... pump wound up to speed and nothing came out??

Made another attempt and nothing? Took it to the dealer to figure it out. The dealer told us that the grey water valve had come apart, and I was only pulling the handle and nothing else. After a few hours, we had a brand new valve installed, no charge.

To help with the storage issue, I bought a cargo carrier that fits on the trailer hitch. It is a basket that now holds two plastic cargo boxes. The boxes are bolted to the carrier, and lock. They hold our new portable grill, hoses and shore power cord. I did read some of the mods that were posted here, and will try on ours.

We will be taking the Era on a Christmas trip to Key West Florida, from Michigan. This will be our first big trip.

Sorry for being so long winded!!

Best regards, cowboy70

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2016, 05:30 PM   #2

Hi cowboy70. We picked up our 2017 ERA 70 X 2 weeks ago. After going through all the manuals and orientation my head was spinning. Best advice I can give you is to watch the numerous videos on You Tube not only on the ERA, but generic on what to do when you get to a RV site, setting up, helpful tips, etc.

Have not spent the night yet, and what I am dealing with are the rattles driving down the road. Bought felt stick ons to use were the window screens attach, wrapped the plate and rack in the microwave with a towel, but still an annoying noise in the kitchen area. When I go back to the dealer for the first oil change I need to have them look at how the fridge and microwave are attached. Maybe there a few screws loose. Hinge on a drawer came off so that's on the list.

I also have a "hitch hauler" that I will use for extra capacity if I don't put the bike ride on.

Please share your mods, experience and tips with us ERA owners. Safe travels

Old 09-09-2016, 05:39 PM   #3

Cowboy 70

So what % off of MSRP did you get the unit for? We are looking at the ERA and the Airstream but like you said the Airstream is quite a bit more money. The quality in the AS is evident.

Thanks

JR
Old 09-09-2016, 06:17 PM   #4

Hi,

By my calculations, our price was about 33% below sticker. We both really liked the Airstream a lot. More options and better quality I think. The price difference made the choice easy for us. We felt at that price, even if we did not like to "RV" the low price make selling it easier.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy70 View Post
Hi,

By my calculations, our price was about 33% below sticker. We both really liked the Airstream a lot. More options and better quality I think. The price difference made the choice easy for us. We felt at that price, even if we did not like to "RV" the low price make selling it easier.
Felt the same way here regarding Airstream, price, etc. you got a good deal for sure. Got my '17 at 26% off sticker, hoping with the '17 to recover a little more on resale or trade in.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:50 PM   #6

Hey mrfuni,

We found a big source of rattle in the kitchen, was the stove burner rack. The rack rattled so much during driving, it was distracting.

I bent the tabs that hold the rack in place and placed a sponge underneath to hold tension on them. This quieted them down completely.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:24 AM   #7

At 33% you got a smoking deal! Arond me they are discounting the 2016 about 25%. Not sure what they will do on a 2017 model.