Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #1

Any new ProMaster Class B's coming?

Has anyone seen/heard of any new Class B offerings on the RAM ProMaster van?

I have looked at the offerings from Winnebago and see the potential of the ProMaster, but don't like the Winnie renditions. I don't like the Travato layout, and the Trend is bigger than wanted and don't like/need a drop down bed.

I am looking forward to a more "conventional" approach like the small Sprinter vans from Roadtrek and Pleasure Way with the front bath and rear convertible couch, with propane appliances.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2014, 08:55 PM   #2

Great west vans will be releasing theirs soon. 2014 Classic | Great West Vans Conversions Inc.

I think you'll start to see more promaster van conversions coming. Many people like the gas engine due to new diesels having tons of emissions equipment which IMO increases the chances of problems. Gas engines these days are fairly predictable and reliable, usually 150k miles is trouble free for most people.
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:30 AM   #3

I hope there are. I love my Travato, but admittedly, the layout isn't for everyone.

My next van may be a custom conversion, but I plan on sticking with the Promaster chassis. The size is good, the economy is great, and the handling is superb.

Check out this page for a layout I REALLY like. I'd tweak a few things, but love the look.

shireconversions

and another, more in-depth review:
http://www.shiremotorhomes.co.uk/#!p...-reviews/c20e4
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:03 PM   #4

The Great West layout is a bust for our needs. I get the touring idea, but designing around four seats up front is wrong for two people who want more storage and living space. That is why we reject most every Roadtrek made. Also not interested in the rear bunk arrangement. No sale there.

The Brit Shire conversion is better, but I wouldn't go for that setup either. It compromises the sleeping space.
I was looking on the Sportsmobile site with hope for info about a custom build, but they still claim to be "prototyping" a Promaster.

I am surprised and disappointed that more American RV builders haven't jumped on the Promaster with some good alternative designs. Winnebago laid a big egg IMHO with their designs--hopefully they will add some new plans. I am glad to see the tired old Ford van die off, and a Chevy with a patched on high top just doesn't offer the space of the new Sprinter-type vans. Still waiting and wondering.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:11 PM   #5

Promaster van only came out this year, it will take a little time. Winnebago is a way bigger company than most, so they have r&d people who they can dedicate to the new chassis.
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:35 AM   #6

Winnebago, Jayco and other "U.S." builder are actually international and have been building on the ProMaster for years already in Australia and other countries.

They have the designs and capability, they only need to turn on the switch for U.S. production.

Maybe we can find some foreign versions we like and contact the manufacturers and ask for them here?
Old 08-02-2014, 06:22 PM   #7

There are a ton of them on youtube.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:58 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I really don't think the Travato is a bad design. Like with anything even cars they first come with a basic design and improve and add nicer appointments as the years go by. I think if someone is looking for a B rv the Travato has it over every other make out there in its class.
gonational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:25 PM   #9

Travato - the current floorplan seems best suited for sports-oriented folks or those who need to haul some bulky stuff. The flip up bed is good for that. It's not good for longer term side by side sleeping - a bit too narrow and confining. The bathroom is workable. The forward facing dinette seat is just plain uncomfortable and putting the water tank under another uncomfortable bench right in the main entry path is just odd. I know I would have issues with all-electric operation, too. There is potential in the Promaster, but the Travato is no-sale for us. Also not too excited about the Crayon-bright colors coming out. If Winnebago is selling all they can make, good for them.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:15 AM   #10

Pleasure-Way had a press release for the new Lexor Promaster and they'll be showing it at Hershey this month. Fully loaded with all options MSRP of $98k.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Pleasure-Way had a press release for the new Lexor Promaster and they'll be showing it at Hershey this month. Fully loaded with all options MSRP of $98k.
I figured it was just a matter of time. I'm seeing more Promaster vans on the street these days. Even saw what must have been a new Ford Transit.

Well, we couldn't wait. We did get a Pleasure Way, only a 2009 Lexor on the Chevy van. Pleased with it so far. It does have the older style bathroom where you have to use the aisle for your "duties." However, the good tradeoff is that it has some real storage under the sink. Since we won't be needing the shower for our immediate travel and camping needs, we use the slot the shower pan was in for extra storage like for towels and bedding. Plus, it looks like we saved 50% of the price of the new one coming.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:11 AM   #12

Just purchased 2014 Winnebago Travato yesterday. Europeans have been using the pro master design for years (fiat Ducati chassie). It's a very proven design.
The Travato works for us as we are both rather small, will upgrade flip bed mattress with topper, and plan to use for short trips and outings. Bigger people or those living longer term use would need different design. My wife and I live in Italy part of each year and the Travato seems big by European standards. We enjoy the layout of the model and I can park it in my 9' tall carport. No storage fees.
This is not for everyone, be there is a market segment that will really like the Travato. IMHO.
Gbull7863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:40 PM   #13

Pleasure Way seems to have done a good job blending their classic layout along with elements from their Sprinter models into the Promaster Lexor, per .
This is what I exactly what I was hoping to see. Perhaps Leisure Travel, Winnebago, and others will add to the choices. Maybe I'll be in a trading mood again in a couple of years.
And no knocks against the current Travato model. It is a novel layout that does work for many folks. Just not for us.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:16 PM   #14

I crawled all over this van today at Hershey. It's a very nice van. I'll post some pics and observations tomorrow in another thread.