RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-17-2019, 11:27 AM   #1

Arithmetic +Fuel Economy; how likely will your Class B look compared fuel guzzlers

OK, diesel fuel is almost $4 per gallon in California and gasoline is $3.75 per gallon....SO,. How attractive will your Class B look compared to a large Class C or even larger Class A

I suppose some of you don't care; if you have plenty of money, but, many of us purchased the smaller Class B's for increased efficiency and mobility.

If you are only getting 6 MPG, it is a huge wallop at the fueling station .... compared to my 18 to 20 MPG...

It's all about arithmetic....it matters long term.
The cost to fuel a vehicle 100,000 miles is a significant difference....

100,000/18 MPG. = 5,500 gallons of fuel $22,500

100,000/6 MPG= 16,666 gallon of fuel $ 66,664

That's almost a $45,000 difference.....

I would argue that this is a lot of money... And, people who might be interested in buying an RV second hand, would think about that.....

What's your opinion???

MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2019, 11:31 AM   #2

My Navion gets 13 to 15 mpg - so I don't care about it too much.

Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:38 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
my gas class a 2006 adventurer 38t is 39 ft with an 8.1 gm with complete banks power system towing a 8.5 x 20 enclosed car hauler gets 6.5 mpg over the last 5000 plus miles.

we still have 2000 miles to go this trip, we full time on a tight budget but the livable and storage space was/is more important.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:12 PM   #4

We almost purchased a Navion....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
My Navion gets 13 to 15 mpg - so I don't care about it too much.
Yeah, they told us that it would be about 16-17 MPG.... salesman....😡😡😡

Are you mostly getting closer to 13 or 15....?

I'm going to say 14 MPG average....is that more accurate?
Old 11-17-2019, 12:15 PM   #5

In OUR situation, a diesel class B wasn't even an option. It couldn't pull our boat being the biggest problem. And even if it could, it couldn't pull it out of the water at a boat ramp. Our E450 Thor Vegas 27.7 weighs in between 13,000 to 16,000lbs depending on what we're carrying. And it can easily tow a 6,000lb boat without even working hard. And even with a lot of our driving being towing the boat, our AVERAGE over 25k miles is 9.7mpg.

But your question is about purchase cost and operating costs.. I'm going to say in a straight comparison between a Sprinter chassis class B to a similarly sized E350 class C, the Sprinter will NOT save a dime.

Even taking your numbers...

Right off the bat, how much more would you pay for that Sprinter class B? Hmmmm, about $45k? Maybe. But there are a few other parts of the calculations, like 6mpg for a class C and 18 for a Sprinter. I'm gonna say that's not the averages, those are the opposite extremes. Does a Sprinter consistently average 18mpg? If you have a comparable sized class C and it's getting 6mpg, something is very wrong. Averaging 9-10mpg in an E350 class C is pretty common. And also, you have to calculate in the price difference between regular 87 octane gas and diesel. And not just in California, what's the difference average over the whole country? How much is diesel where regular gas is $2.50 a gallon? (I don't actually know.)

So change your calculations to factor in the initial purchase price differences, the difference in fuel prices and do the numbers at a more reasonable 15mpg for the Sprinter and 9mpg for the class C E350. For your purchase cost comparison, we paid $88k for our '18 27.7 Vegas brand new.
gmtec16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:58 PM   #6

Ok AAA says the national average prices for fuel are...

$2.60 for regular
$3.01 for diesel

I spent about 2 minutes (lol) researching the difference in cost of a Class C Winnebago with a gas engine vs. a Sprinter chassis...

RVTrader lists the ~10 most expensive Winnebago Class C Sprinters at an average of $185k.
They list the ~10 most expensive Winnebago Class C's with on a Ford E450 at an average of $120k.

Hey, that's weird, that means it's roughly an additional $65k to get the Sprinter chassis??? lol. That's your TOTAL gas cost in the 6mpg gas situation. That means you buy a gas Class C and you can drive it for 100k miles, even at a ridiculously low 6mpg, for FREE compared to the initial cost of a Sprinter??? That's Class C to Class C, but obviously the Ford chassis is FAR more capable weight and towing wise than the Sprinters.

You wanted opinions. In MY opinion, the COST part of buying and driving a Sprinter chassis doesn't pencil out in favor of the Sprinter. Now if you want something smaller and easier to drive, the Sprinters come out ahead. But then again, you're not even close to comparing apples to apples in size, weight, storage and towing capacities when you're looking at small Class B Sprinters compared to bigger Ford chassis RV's.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:39 PM   #7

Fuel prices do vary depending on where you live

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtec16450yz View Post
Ok AAA says the national average prices for fuel are...

$2.60 for regular
$3.01 for diesel

I spent about 2 minutes (lol) researching the difference in cost of a Class C Winnebago with a gas engine vs. a Sprinter chassis...

RVTrader lists the ~10 most expensive Winnebago Class C Sprinters at an average of $185k.
They list the ~10 most expensive Winnebago Class C's with on a Ford E450 at an average of $120k.

Hey, that's weird, that means it's roughly an additional $65k to get the Sprinter chassis??? lol. That's your TOTAL gas cost in the 6mpg gas situation. That means you buy a gas Class C and you can drive it for 100k miles, even at a ridiculously low 6mpg, for FREE compared to the initial cost of a Sprinter??? That's Class C to Class C, but obviously the Ford chassis is FAR more capable weight and towing wise than the Sprinters.

You wanted opinions. In MY opinion, the COST part of buying and driving a Sprinter chassis doesn't pencil out in favor of the Sprinter. Now if you want something smaller and easier to drive, the Sprinters come out ahead. But then again, you're not even close to comparing apples to apples in size, weight, storage and towing capacities when you're looking at small Class B Sprinters compared to bigger Ford chassis RV's.
In California, we're certainly paying about $1 per gallon more than the rest of country.... emissions standards and air quality.....

One of the reasons I purchased my RV used, we're the second owners, is because of the initial purchase price, depreciation schedule and I wanted a small diesel engine.....is it capable of towing, yes it is, but I have no interest in towing anything.... We drive our Sprinter to pick up supplies and tour whenever we go out....we don't need an extra appendage, like a car or a boat ��.

As for MPG, yes, if I keep my cruising speed around 60-62 MPH on the road, I have consistently gotten 20 MPG...all depends on speed, headwinds and other road conditions.

Let me ask you this;

How easy is it for you to take your RV to the beach, the park or the shopping mall... we've done this....we can on occasion taken our rig out for the day just to play... it's very convenient to have a private bath and lounge with you wherever you go... and our Sprinter can double as an "extra car"...I'm sure that you can't take your large Class C just about anywhere you want without a little more planning....

Also, the diesel engine is pretty quiet running climbing up hills... I've noticed that the gasoline engines on many RVs have to be screaming at top RPMs to develop enough power to climb up steep passes. Diesels run at a lower RPM and are not as affected by high elevations..

On weight capacity, you know that my rig is on a Sprinter 3500 chassis with dual wheels and tires...so, we don't have any problems with occupancy and weight carrying capacity.....a lot of other larger Class C RV's have issues with this.

When it comes to overall depreciation schedule, the Class B Sprinters are one of the best models out there for holding their value.....so, when it comes time to sell it, it will sell for a more favorable price compared to a Class B RV that is not on the Sprinter platform.

Yes, you're right about one thing....it is very easy to drive....
Old 11-17-2019, 03:12 PM   #8

I understand..... your situation..

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkathy View Post
my gas class a 2006 adventurer 38t is 39 ft with an 8.1 gm with complete banks power system towing a 8.5 x 20 enclosed car hauler gets 6.5 mpg over the last 5000 plus miles.

we still have 2000 miles to go this trip, we full time on a tight budget but the livable and storage space was/is more important.
We don't live in our RV...we have no desire to do that. I honestly don't know how people live full time in an RV..?

Now that we've had an RV for 30 months, I can safely say that this is never going to happen for us.... we're not suited for the "lifestyle"... I don't care how large the RV is...or how deluxe. . Let me tell you that from my point of view, it is got to be the worst financial move ever.

We like our trips in the Sprinter, but, I'll probably sell it in a couple of years. It's just not sustainable long term. We're just too old for camping forever... and I love the creature comforts of my house.

I can definitely see that the cost of the fuel is justified if it is your primary home on wheels..... enjoy.....
Old 11-17-2019, 05:40 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWeiner View Post
We don't live in our RV...we have no desire to do that. I honestly don't know how people live full time in an RV..?

Now that we've had an RV for 30 months, I can safely say that this is never going to happen for us.... we're not suited for the "lifestyle"... I don't care how large the RV is...or how deluxe. . Let me tell you that from my point of view, it is got to be the worst financial move ever.

We like our trips in the Sprinter, but, I'll probably sell it in a couple of years. It's just not sustainable long term. We're just too old for camping forever... and I love the creature comforts of my house.

I can definitely see that the cost of the fuel is justified if it is your primary home on wheels..... enjoy.....
not every one can go full time i find it easier then when i had my 4 bed 2 bath house in the gated community. no hoa if i do not like the people in the camp ground i leave if i do not like the scenery i leave and it is less work and safer then when i lived on the sailboat
Old 11-17-2019, 09:40 PM   #10

Quote:
In California, we're certainly paying about $1 per gallon more than the rest of country.... emissions standards and air quality.....

One of the reasons I purchased my RV used, we're the second owners, is because of the initial purchase price, depreciation schedule and I wanted a small diesel engine.....is it capable of towing, yes it is, but I have no interest in towing anything.... We drive our Sprinter to pick up supplies and tour whenever we go out....we don't need an extra appendage, like a car or a boat ��.

As for MPG, yes, if I keep my cruising speed around 60-62 MPH on the road, I have consistently gotten 20 MPG...all depends on speed, headwinds and other road conditions.

Let me ask you this;

How easy is it for you to take your RV to the beach, the park or the shopping mall... we've done this....we can on occasion taken our rig out for the day just to play... it's very convenient to have a private bath and lounge with you wherever you go... and our Sprinter can double as an "extra car"...I'm sure that you can't take your large Class C just about anywhere you want without a little more planning....

Also, the diesel engine is pretty quiet running climbing up hills... I've noticed that the gasoline engines on many RVs have to be screaming at top RPMs to develop enough power to climb up steep passes. Diesels run at a lower RPM and are not as affected by high elevations..

On weight capacity, you know that my rig is on a Sprinter 3500 chassis with dual wheels and tires...so, we don't have any problems with occupancy and weight carrying capacity.....a lot of other larger Class C RV's have issues with this.

When it comes to overall depreciation schedule, the Class B Sprinters are one of the best models out there for holding their value.....so, when it comes time to sell it, it will sell for a more favorable price compared to a Class B RV that is not on the Sprinter platform.

I thought the whole point of this was fuel economy? Yep, I just looked at the title, it's all about fuel economy and "gas guzzlers". Why are you turning it into a "My RV is better than your RV" rant?

They make all kinds of different RV's for all kinds of different people. You like your Class B Sprinter, that's wonderful. Does that mean the people who bought 5th wheel trailers instead are wrong? Of course not.

But don't try to tell us that a Class B Sprinter chassis RV can do anything all the "other" RV's can do and also things others can't. That's silly. Your RV works for your needs, ours works for our needs. That wasn't the point of your thread, unless it was actually all about making you feel better about your RV.

You asked for opinions on FUEL ECONOMY between a Sprinter chassis RV and "Gas guzzler" RV's. I gave you my opinion, and that is if you bought a diesel to save money, it doesn't.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:09 AM   #11

Quote:

Let me ask you this;

Your RV rocks! There, you feel better now?

Murf
Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:25 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Everything in life is about trade-offs. Everything! I can't live in 26 feet, some can, I can't. Some people don't need to bathe everyday or more, or wear clean clothes, not me. Some people don't mind walking to the shower; I want a long, relaxing, steaming hot shower right next to my wardrobe. I want a big bed I don't have to make up every nite and make down every morning, or ever. Life is about trade-offs; my 40 footer is a lot shorter than a 45, I don't need an additional half-bath or the tag axle. 8.5 mpg won't break my bank. And I could not possibly care less about resale, this DP is my last rig.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:05 PM   #13

Big 45 ft Newell minus Never stepping foot in California = Win!

Not paying California fees.
DKB218NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:32 PM   #14

Quote:
OK, diesel fuel is almost $4 per gallon in California and gasoline is $3.75 per gallon....SO,. How attractive will your Class B look compared to a large Class C or even larger Class A

I suppose some of you don't care; if you have plenty of money, but, many of us purchased the smaller Class B's for increased efficiency and mobility.

If you are only getting 6 MPG, it is a huge wallop at the fueling station .... compared to my 18 to 20 MPG...

It's all about arithmetic....it matters long term.
The cost to fuel a vehicle 100,000 miles is a significant difference....

I would argue that this is a lot of money... And, people who might be interested in buying an RV second hand, would think about that.....

What's your opinion???

I don't think your numbers are realistic. They are the numbers I would use if I wanted to talk the DW into getting a Class B. If it worked for you.....

More realistic numbers would be about 5k miles per year on the MH and the rest on the TOAD. At $3 dollars a gallon the cost difference per month is about 150 dollars MOL. Manageable for most.

Retire 2020 GLW
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class b, fuel