Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2019, 12:31 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelDuo View Post
We're in the process of trading in our Sunstar 27N for a LTV Unity 24TB. The twin beds offer lots of options and the 19 Mercedes chassis is incredible. Lots of safety features built in. I believe Leisure Travels offer great quality. The Wonder series is built on the Transit chassis but we were afraid the cab area would be too small for us.
We own a Wonder FTB and owned a Unity MB previously...

Did you sit in the cab of the Wonder? It's definitely tighter than the MB but we decided it was quite comfortable anyway. I'm 6' and 205 and wife is 5.6'. Larger folks will definitely notice the size difference...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2019, 04:38 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellylipp View Post
We own a Wonder FTB and owned a Unity MB previously...

Did you sit in the cab of the Wonder? It's definitely tighter than the MB but we decided it was quite comfortable anyway. I'm 6' and 205 and wife is 5.6'. Larger folks will definitely notice the size difference...
I was able to drive both and thought the seats were more comfortable in the Ford but coming from a Class A think the change might be too drastic. Plus, the driver's seat will swivel aft in the Sprinter.
TravelDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:24 PM   #31

Best Class B's

Hi,

I am also new to this & have been looking for about 2 months. I expect to travel with my dog (occasionally with a friend) and want something small & agile .. easy to drive & park. I thought Class B would be perfect but I am finding that they are considerably more expensive than similar Class C's.

I don't want slide-outs. I adhere to the KISS principle .. Keep it Simple! Since I'm finding that it's going to cost more than I originally thought, I've decided to get something a little larger/nicer than what I'd need for just me & let it help pay for itself via AirBnB rental ... not as a driver but as a fixed guest suite. That meant I needed a plan with a fully enclosed bathroom that has sink, toilet & shower. I don't care whether it's dry or wet, as long as it's not in the middle of the aisle!

So far, my favorites are the Pleasure-Way Excel, the Leisure Travel Free Spirit 210B or the Free Flight, the RoadTrek 210 Popular. However, even the old ones are $35-$50K! I also like the Great West Van, Winnebago Aspect 23D, R-Vision 214 & Chinook interiors but I'm not sure whether they are really Class B's or small Class C's & they look much bulkier.

How does the gas mileage compare? These boxier coaches seem less aerodynamic so I suspect they are low on MPG.
SaltyWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:31 AM   #32

Cool

We progressed from tent/motorcycle to B, to 18tt to 24tt. This week we are getting another Roadtrek. Key criteria were full time twin / queen bed(s) (crawl-over not an option) since we like to be able to pull over when we are tired and sleep/nap without re-configuring sleep area; able to park in a standard space, quick set up and breaking of camp;packing minimalist-this way you make do with what you have plus you aren't searching multiple places for "stuff" (i.e.truck/truck bed, outside storage, under bed(s) etc. Lastly, if Mother Nature is not cooperating, one will spend minimal time outside hooking up.
moonmanvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:45 PM   #33

I am going to look at a 2007 Roadtrek RS ADVENTUROUS with 102K miles. It's just been reduced to $25K and seems to be in good condition but it's a Mercedes diesel. I'm concerned about the sensor issues mentioned previously but don't know if the 2007 has those issues. I'm not crazy about the color scheme but it seems to have everything I want/need inc a nice little bathroom. It's a one owner FSBO & she says they got from 17-23 MPG on the road.

Any comments on this unit?
Old 04-16-2019, 05:46 AM   #34

A friend of mine has that 4-wheel Mercedes T1N van, though not a Roadtrek. It has the inline 5-cylinder diesel engine. When I asked him about MB vans used in Class B units, his recommendation was to look for the older 903 units rather than the later 906 units with the V6 diesels and dual wheels, in large part due to the bullet-proof reputation those older engines and drivelines supposedly have.

He tows a 4600 lb boat and trailer all over the west coast and Mexico with it, and last I heard, he had well over 200k miles on it. Tows like the trailer isn't there (his words), I'm sure in large part due to the long wheelbase.

But that's just one data point, based on second hand information, so take it for what it's worth.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:04 AM   #35

Best Class B's

Sorry but, being new to this, I don't know all the terminology ... what is a T1N van?

This RT uses the Mercedes/Sprinter 2500 chassis-Mercedes 2.7L I-5 turbo diesel powered (pre DEF) with a 170" wheelbase. The Spec's don't say but it looks from the pix like a 4 wheeler. I assume the "I-5" means that it is an Inline 5 cylinder but it doesn't say 903 or 906 ... what does that mean, exactly?

Thanx for all input!
Old 04-16-2019, 07:14 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyWench View Post
Sorry but, being new to this, I don't know all the terminology ... what is a T1N van?

This RT uses the Mercedes/Sprinter 2500 chassis-Mercedes 2.7L I-5 turbo diesel powered (pre DEF) with a 170" wheelbase. The Spec's don't say but it looks from the pix like a 4 wheeler. It doesn't say 903 or 906 ... what does that mean?

Thanx for all input!
In a nut shell, if it has the single vent in the middle of the hood at the windshield, it's the 903 (T1N). If it has two vents at the windshield, one at each side, it's the later 906, or the newest 907/910 (now current as of this year or last) version.

I think the last year the 903 was manufactured was 2006, but it's really common for an RV to have a manufacturing date a year or even two later than the chassis manufacturing date. So the 2007 you're looking at seems to be built on a 2006 chassis.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:57 AM   #37

We recently purchased a Phoenix Cruiser 2552 (downsized from a 38ft class A) which is considered a B+. DH went through months of research of all the brands, hours online and YouTube. We started focused on MBS chassis because of diesel, then discovered they all come with propane generators. We did not want a propane generator since we plan to do a lot of boon docking and you are limited in how long you can run the generator before having to fill up the tank. We then switched over to gas. Our short list was Winnebago and Tiffin. We briefly considered a few others but for one reason or another they were knocked off the list. Then we discovered Phoenix Cruiser and were sold. There are multiple videos on YouTube about these units. Ours is 27ft, but they start at 21ft and go up to 30ft. Well made, no huge assembly line. 99% of the owners are very happy with theirs and keep them for years, and while you can find some for sale by owner they are not plentiful. Many upgrades to the units. I'd suggest going on YouTube and looking up the videos. Also on the Phoenix Cruiser website there is an owners forum. We love ours, it fits the bill perfectly. PM if you have any questions
kgb6days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:52 PM   #38

Thanx for the info! I have seen a video on the Phoenix but did not realize they came that small.

The RT RS finally came in to the dealer (Bates RV in Venice, FL) & Crosby called to tell me not to bother bc it had lots of problems & he didn't think it was the right one for me.

Meanwhile, another dealer I'd spoken with (Gerzeny's RV World in Nokomis) called to tell me he'd taken in a trade that he thought I'd like .. a Four Winds 19G by Thor, a 2012 with 23k miles in very clean shape. It's a B+ which is not what I'd had in mind but he sent pix & I loved the interior layout & cherry cabinetry! It has a cab-over bed, an easy chair, a small dinette, a cute corner kitchen & a full wet bath.

A friend & I drove down today to see it. Chris was a huge help! He had done a lot of research online (as had I) & came prepared with a list of questions. He checked everything out and we went over the whole coach together. There are a few minor details that need fixing but the dealer promised to take care of those. Both of us drove it & thought it handled well so I signed the Contract. I will close/take delivery on May 20th, which gives me a week after I get home from Thailand.

I've talked with two FW owners & both loved their units so I'm excited! The 19G is not made any longer (the 22' is now the smallest) and is therefore very hard to find, so I don't think I'll go wrong.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:44 AM   #39

Congratulations on your rig! The choice is such a personal one. When you find they right one for you, you just know it.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:14 PM   #40

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb6days View Post
We recently purchased a Phoenix Cruiser 2552 (downsized from a 38ft class A) which is considered a B+. DH went through months of research of all the brands, hours online and YouTube. We started focused on MBS chassis because of diesel, then discovered they all come with propane generators.
Just so you know, that's not true. Coach House, Leisure Travel Vans, Airstream and possibly others offer a diesel generator option in their B+ units.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:41 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
Just so you know, that's not true. Coach House, Leisure Travel Vans, Airstream and possibly others offer a diesel generator option in their B+ units.
True, but they were not on our short list. I should have said 'of the ones on our short list'. Thanks for the clarification.

Also of the ones we looked at if you did order special and upgrade to a diesel generator, the fuel tank was much smaller than our gas tank (55 gal). We also learned that the horsepower of the diesel motors (5 cylinder) was less than the horsepower of the Ford V10. We were shocked. We were assuming that they would have the same power as the Ford F250 diesel we had while pulling a 5er. Learned a lot in our 6 month search. Still learning.

KGB
Old 04-23-2019, 08:01 AM   #42

A TRUE Class B is just a cargo van converted to an RV. Add water, sewer (maybe/maybe not), heat.

For years the most popular cargo van (van, not box truck) was the Ford E-series. Van versions are no longer in production. The Transit (NOT Transit Connect) had some ealy issues with the universal joint (they used a guibo joint which failed early and often), but that is resolved. I would strongly consider a Transit even it is for the number of places it can be serviced and the cost of replacement parts.

Tags
class b