Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2016, 09:24 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Best Brands for Class B, Sprinter based: How do you rate 'em?

I just sold my 40' Class A and want to purchase a late model Class B, most likely based on the Mercedes Sprinter 3500 chassis. I'm looking closely at the Winnebago ERA as it seems to best fit my needs (i.e. late model 2014, 2015, 2016, super comfortable queen size bed, fairly spacious shower and toilet area and seating for two) but before I pull the trigger on a $80k plus deal I want to make sure I'm not overlooking other brands that might be a better bet. For example I have read that the Airstream version seems to be a step above the Winnebago.

What are the top three brands for Class B, Mercedes Sprinter based models, in your judgement and why?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2016, 09:44 PM   #2

Owned an Airstream for 8 years. We were very happy with it and in fact the DW cried when we traded it in. They had or have a three year warranty and they do take care of problems. There was zero quibbling about warranty work. You might consider Leisure Travel Vans as well. We came real close to purchasing a LTV Unity class B+ or Class C whatever you prefer to call them. Those are my top two choices.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:57 PM   #3

Foretravel Owners Club
Take a look at
Leisure Travel Vans - Build & Price
A good friend sold his Foretravel U270 class A and bought one of these.... he's happy
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:16 PM   #4

I am not sure exactly what you are looking for, but if it is just something smaller I would suggest taking a serious look at the Thor Vegas / Axis product line, I was camped next to one at a festival last weekend and I was very impressed with how much they were able to squeeze into a 25 ft platform (3 TV's sleeping for 5, etc.) The owner was a woman probably in her 50's traveling with her sisters. I would consider one myself except for the fact I am 6'0" tall and the longest bed in the Vegas is 74 inches long.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:53 AM   #5

Throwing my two cents in:
Leisure Travel Vans = Lexus Real nice
Airstream = Acura Real nice as well
Coachhouse = Infiniti another real nice unit
Winnebago = Ford/Chevy Good Value but not top end like LTV

There are also a lot of Yugos out there as well. I think LTV is the best but Winnebago gives you the best value overall.

Don
The conFUSEd RVer
dp226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:47 PM   #6

Add Pleasure Way to the list. We looked at all the options listed and ended up with a Plateau XL on a 3500 chassis. It's been great, comfortable and easy to drive. We traded in a 42' class A. I'm 6'5" and don't have any trouble bumping my head or sleeping.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
AZ520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:12 PM   #7

We recently went through this process.

Leisure Travel, Pleasure Way, Airstream and Winnebago were in the final running for us, after eliminating virtually every other option.

Priority in our decision was 1) floor plan and at a close second 2) a good local dealership to handle warranty claims. #2 ruled out two of them. The B+ View 24J Profile won the floor plan for us, and our closest dealer with a decent reputation happened to carry them.

We spend a lot of time in the PNW so being comfortable "rained in" for hours and sometimes a day was key. If we were still focusing on the high desert we probably would have picked the Airstream.
WheelingOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:42 PM   #8

Advanced RV - $$$$
Airstream Interstate - $$$
Roadtrek CS Adventourous - $$$

My opinion of the three best.
slim4511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:54 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Be sure to check out the Pleasureway Plateau. We had one before we switched to Newmar. The build quality on the PW is excellent. The Plateau had the largest refrigerator in a Class B at that time. We only switched to Newmar to get more space than is available on a Sprinter based RV.

Good luck with your decision. Jerry
Old 12-19-2016, 01:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSullivan View Post
I just sold my 40' Class A and want to purchase a late model Class B, most likely based on the Mercedes Sprinter 3500 chassis. I'm looking closely at the Winnebago ERA as it seems to best fit my needs (i.e. late model 2014, 2015, 2016, super comfortable queen size bed, fairly spacious shower and toilet area and seating for two) but before I pull the trigger on a $80k plus deal I want to make sure I'm not overlooking other brands that might be a better bet. For example I have read that the Airstream version seems to be a step above the Winnebago.

What are the top three brands for Class B, Mercedes Sprinter based models, in your judgement and why?
We bought the Era 70C over Thanksgiving, and drove from Minnesota to San Antonio. It is perfect for us. We have an airweave mattress cover we're going to take on our upcoming trip, probably to Cuyutlan or Zehuatenejo.
SamDerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:30 AM   #11

ARV is the best by far. A bit pricey but you get exactly what you want.
slim4511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:58 PM   #12

Leisure Travel Van - Unity on a 3500 Sprinter
We sold our 43 foot Dutchstar about 1 year ago and took delivery of our 2016 Unity MB in April 2016.
OSUdsdp4304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:37 PM   #13

$219,473 firm for Advance RV Select model. Wow! Mini Prevost.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:48 AM   #14

Midwest

2015 Midwest automotive design. Beautiful finishes and attention to details, mechanical, electric, plumbing etc. and it is beautiful!
Twin Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote