Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Best Class B for a Woman Travelling with Her Dog

My husband recently passed away, and our 36' Class A is too much for me to handle on my own. Since I love travelling and I wouldn't dream of leaving my retired racing greyhound behind, I was thinking about purchasing a Class B. I'm just starting to look and am seeking suggestions on makes, models, gas vs. diesel, etc. Tips on any good informational websites as well as 'must have' vs. 'you don't really need this' options will be appreciated too. I'm OK with new or used, but must have a shower as well as enough room for a 60 lb dog. I'd also like to be able to keep the vehicle in my driveway.

Thanks,
DBD of DBDJEB
dbdjeb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2014, 04:13 PM   #2

I would not rule out class C's as well unless you are really jumping down to something like a Roadtrek. From there it is more or less a personal decision based on what you think you need to be comfortable. Our rule of thumb is that it must be usable with slide(s) in, have enough storage and seating we can live with. I would also check the shower access. Some are just too small while some others have a real step down. I'd be looking for a more or less flat floor all the way. That still gives a plethora of choices.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:18 PM   #3

I'm partial to the Winnebago Travato for a single traveler with a dog. Easy to drive, cheap to run and plenty of room for a big dog and his stuff. The shower is great and big enough to also wash the dog if needed.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:20 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with wincrasher! I also have the Travato and love how easy it is to handle. Plus it runs on gas and gets terrific mileage. I also love the fact that it has a decent bathroom which is located in the rear. The bed can be left down as well or if needed can. be folded up and out of the way. Very easy to do for a woman. I love how easy everything is to operate, with the exception of the seats in the front. Wish they had put power switches in for the seats. Me, my partner, dog and cat are very comfortable in this coach.
shcpostal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:01 PM   #5

I'd have to third the Travato, but this is my first RV, so I'm completely biased. It's a good fit for one person, and cozy for two. It's really easy to drive, and you can park it in a normal space.
digisnapmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:42 AM   #6

Rather small for extended tripping by my standards. YMMV. ;-)
Old 06-29-2014, 10:05 AM   #7

I don't think you can go wrong with a Sprinter base B or B+. We have put 24k miles on our 2014 LTV Unity 24MB and are leaving this week for another cross country month long trip. We love the build quality of our unit. We have been through some pretty server weather from a heavy snow in the Rockies to high crosswinds across Kansas the the Sprinter is a dream to drive. And the new 24CB model would seem ideal for a single. We average 16.5-18 MPG without tow and 15.5 flat towing our Smart for two. That added to the fact that the price of diesel out west is at or near regular makes that choice logical for our needs.
rtdavew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:41 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have to check out the Travato. I have a 3,500 lb old Jeep Cherokee that I may want to use as a toad. Can the Travato (or any of the Class Bs) handle this?

I test drove an Itasca Navion today. It's a little bigger than I was thinking of, but I liked the way it handled. Any opinions on this unit?
Old 06-30-2014, 08:49 PM   #9

JMO, but if you are going to pull a tow'ed I would go with a class C. Gas or diesel optional.
HuntingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:00 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Best Class B for a Woman Travelling with Her Dog

I'm also looking to go from A to smaller but still want to tow and I've found that the gassers would be no better than my A if towing. That's why I'm seriously looking at the Navion or similar with the diesel engine. They are capable of towing your Jeep or my CRV as long as it's under 5,000lbs. Class C, IMO with the overhead bunk is useless without kids and in the way when going from seat to rig. Good luck, sorry for your loss.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:23 PM   #11

Well the OP definately asked about a B. That's a van. Not sure why you'd want a toad if you are touring in a van.

If you are moving up to a C, then there are more practical reasons for having a toad. The small Cs like the Navion/View, etc. may be a bit weak for that with a gas engine, but a deisel would be OK. If you get a bigger C with the Ford V10, then no problem at all.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:07 PM   #12

FWIW - IMHO I would really question moving from a 36 ft A to a van based B for extended travel. I've had bigger tent setups than those B's. Think about how you and the dog are going to manage on a cool rainy day. There are some manageable C or B+ layouts with a reasonable shower, storage, seating, and an adequate kitchen. Most C's will handle a 5000 lb towed. A lot of what you can get by with depends on your travel style and why you are getting out of the A. It will also depend on whether or not you comfortably drove the A. Tell us more and you will get better advice.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:57 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW - IMHO I would really question moving from a 36 ft A to a van based B for extended travel. I've had bigger tent setups than those B's. Think about how you and the dog are going to manage on a cool rainy day. There are some manageable C or B+ layouts with a reasonable shower, storage, seating, and an adequate kitchen. Most C's will handle a 5000 lb towed. A lot of what you can get by with depends on your travel style and why you are getting out of the A. It will also depend on whether or not you comfortably drove the A. Tell us more and you will get better advice.
Thanks. I'm just trying to explore all of my options. I love the 36' and driving it on the open road was not an issue for me, however I'm not able to back it up or maneuver in tight spots without a co-pilot. I enjoy visiting national and state parks and doing a lot of hiking. I'm thinking of keeping the toad to get to trailheads and to visit cities.

What's the difference between a B+ and a C?
Old 07-03-2014, 06:24 AM   #14

Having been in some discussions that turned rancorous over the issue the one I use is that a B+ is a C without the front bunk over the cab. That costs storage but lets them streamline the front better.

I have a co pilot who is not good with giving directions. It has taught me to size up a situation and guide in on the drivers side. IF there is a question I get out and look. Maybe you want to develop that skill and maybe you want to stick with pull through sites. If you downsize you will still need the skill.

A 36 ft A is big enough to think about downsizing yet small enough to keep. Too many other variables. OTOH moving to a van body based B is space shock.

All I am trying to point out to you is that you need to look at the options and stop to think before you jump or you are likely to jump to something you will not like. All units have the backup problem to some level. OTOH how much room do you need to be comfortable and what will let you pull a towed. You will want the towed from what you are saying.

Tags
travel