Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2016, 02:16 PM   #1

Boondocking Black Water Storage

We have our trailer in the woods of northern Michigan from June to September. We have electricity but no water and no septic. We have been trucking our portable black tank to the state park. We have to fill water tanks. This takes up alot of your vacation time and is also a very unpleasant chore. Holding tanks for under the trailer cost around 5 - 6 hundred dollars. The first company we called to get a quote for pumping a three hundred gallon tank was $2-250 to have pumped.
Not sure if we can put in a septic field without a residence.
We don't have the money to spend on expensive projects and thought the above ground tank would be great until I got the quote for pumping.
Anyone else solve any of these problems?
Digitalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2016, 03:58 PM   #2

Sounds like you need to find out the property zoning, as a septic system and well may be in order.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:13 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
That pumping price is fairly standard for pumping a septic tank, $250. The charge for pumping a larger tank should be the same amount even if you have more tanks. Maybe invest in more tanks and only have it pumped once per season.

I get charged $45 for pumping my 40+ gallon on-board black tank, my 42 gallon Blue-Boy tank full of black water and the 60 gallon grey tank about every 4 weeks.

I was thinking seriously about purchasing some flat tanks that would fit under the coach while I am staying at my brother's place and have it pumped once but then I would have to find storage for the tanks when I am not here.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:08 PM   #4

I am not sure what the laws are for this, but there is a sewer line clean out in my drive way. Most homes have a clean out somewhere. Is it allowed to dump an RV black tank down a home clean out, for instance when you stay at your brother's house?

There are some "no water" urinals that I have seen in airports. Perhaps that can help reduce the volume?

Do you separate the gray water from black?
harryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:31 PM   #5
JFN

On a weekend when all the politicians are home:

JFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:14 PM   #6

I'd use the clean out. No need to separate the grey and black except that dump the black first so the grey can help clean out your pipes.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:20 PM   #7

The home made septic won't work in my situation because there is a nearby wetland. I'll have to either get permission to put in a manufactured septic system or a pump out tank.
I requested information from the county but it's been a week. They are a long distance from my home so they don't make it easy.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:40 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryn View Post
I am not sure what the laws are for this, but there is a sewer line clean out in my drive way. Most homes have a clean out somewhere. Is it allowed to dump an RV black tank down a home clean out, for instance when you stay at your brother's house?
I added a macerator pump to be able to dump to our ~150' distant sewer clean out. Works great.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:16 PM   #9

Do you have any ability to capture rain water for the non drinking water portion of your needs?
harryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:05 PM   #10

Not sure if you've considered switching to a composting toilet? Seems like the perfect solution for that use and environment....
Old 10-23-2016, 08:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Not sure if you've considered switching to a composting toilet? Seems like the perfect solution for that use and environment....
It sure does. Since digging a septic tank is a no-go, I'd buy or make a composting toilet.

If you build one, make sure it keeps urine and solids separate, has ventilation, a composting medium, and a way to stir it.

Good info:FAQ
C-Head portable composting toilet system
C-Head portable composting toilets

The c-head boonjon is ~$700 about the same buying a holding tank, but you don't have to pay $250 to have it pumped out.

These are more expensive:
Nature's Head Composting Toilets
Nature's Head Composting Toilets: FAQs

Air Head Composting Toilet | For Boats, RVs & Cabins | Environmental Toilets with Compact Convenience:
Separett - Toilets
Old 10-30-2016, 01:55 PM   #12

Boondocking Water / Sewer

I have found that I can put in sewer and water without a building. That will make life easier. Not cheaper but easier. I appreciate your thoughts and ideas.

Tags
boondocking, storage, water