Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:05 AM   #1

Brand new Onan GenSet with major malfunction and no part available ...

Brand new Onan gen-set in my new Class "B" Winnebago Paseo. It is a 2.8HGJB-1125 gasoline unit typical of what is being placed in many class B's. It had 10 hours on it and refused to start. The second week of August 2017 I took it to an Onan/Cummins dealer service shop (as it is under warranty) where they had to remove it from the RV for repair. Turns out it is a bad coil. Hmmm, seems like a relatively minor problem. Well now it's Nov 5th and still no gen-set and I'm being told probably December. Turns out that there is a boatload of bad coils in these things and Onan has had them on back order for a while. The dealer checked the entire region and all the Onan shops have coils on back order (probably 3 dozen or more). Googling this I find it is a common problem right now. I called the Cummins head office to try and get more info on this hard to believe story. Talked to a "second tier" guy and it's true ... no coils until at least the end of November. I am stunned that Cummins has no second source supplier for stuff like this. My gosh, it's a small engine coil we are talking about ! So I'm stuck waiting on this. Has anybody else had a similar experience ?

(maybe I should place this thread in a different sub forum ?)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2017, 12:48 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Sorry to hear about your problem. I think I'd demand that the 'one-year' warranty be extended by whatever time it takes to return the generator to working form. That would be the least they should do for you if it's such a common issue.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:34 PM   #3

Pob'ly the result of everything being sourced from one supplier. CHINA
Old 11-06-2017, 09:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhit View Post
Not positive on the OEM coil, but the new ones are made in Japan.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:51 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Orange View Post
Not positive on the OEM coil, but the new ones are made in Japan.
Japan, makers of Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Subaru, known for low quality, junk cars with no reliability. Japan and China are responsible for so many junk products we suffer from, TVs, computers, phones, etc.

What a narrow view of the world. Quality can come from any country and so can junk. I bet Cummins and Onan get parts made where they are cheap AND reliably built to their specifications.

Bob & Donna
Old 11-06-2017, 10:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Japan, makers of Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Subaru, known for low quality, junk cars with no reliability. Japan and China are responsible for so many junk products we suffer from, TVs, computers, phones, etc.

What a narrow view of the world. Quality can come from any country and so can junk. I bet Cummins and Onan get parts made where they are cheap AND reliably built to their specifications.
Sorry, I don't understand ... you mean me with a narrow view ?
Old 11-06-2017, 11:12 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Orange View Post
Sorry, I don't understand ... you mean me with a narrow view ?
No. A thread about a widespread Onan parts shortage as degenerated into a rant on China. You were correct to point out the parts are from Japan.

Bob & Donna
Old 11-06-2017, 12:11 PM   #8

Yeah, the second tier guy from Cummins was surprised by the situation when he looked into it. He told me the replacement parts are now made in Japan, but declined to say where the OEM ones were from. However, he said the old supplier was dismissed for too many Q.C. problems (including very poor packaging resulting in defective product). Evidently the last shipment contained many defects due to the packaging. Also, the Cummins guy was VERY helpful, even e-mailing me an update.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:37 PM   #9

I'm not surprised given the scenario. It takes a huge volume to make it worth having a second source of anything. I don't think the RV market in total is big enough to generate that kind of demand.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:51 PM   #10

If it was me, I'd lean on Winnebago. They sold you the still under warranty RV with the Onan model with an issue. Winnebago has a much larger voice than you do. Knowing this would affect all sales, where is the recall?
Where is your brand new alternate generator model without the coil, with apologies and dinner certificates?
Old 11-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #11

Smile Cummins onan

the Cummings rep spent over an hour on the phone with me trying to find info. on my OLD 3.0 unit.. (1987) . somehow that whole database is missing "149 0355"

Very nice company to work with !!!

Was thinking I would replace it with a Honda from Home Depot,, Now,
NO WAY, I'll stay with a company that wants to help its customers.

We got it up and running and it's a workhorse !!!

3feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhit View Post
When I heard boat load ..and China ...my mine pictured a boat full of these coils getting soaked with salt spray while arriving from China.

Seriously.. there is no excuse for that... and I hope they get OP's problem resolved quickly.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
If it was me, I'd lean on Winnebago. They sold you the still under warranty RV with the Onan model with an issue. Winnebago has a much larger voice than you do.
Winnebago ... hmmm, they do not seem much interested in this. They say "take it up with Cummins". Not surprised though. We just bought the RV a few months ago and was supposed to get a free 1 year subscription for the built in Sirius Radio. We got the radio codes and called Sirius. Nope, Sirius said our sub was only going to be good for a few months ??? We called Winnebago and they said "what free sub ?" We said the one you show in all of your literature! Nope, no such thing ! This stupidity went on for 2 days and a dozen phone calls. Finally Sirius of all people helped us out more than the company I just bought a $89k RV off of. They said somebody activated the radio sub 8 months before we bought it. Finally, after talking to some higher up at Winnie and actually having to send her the link to Winnies own web site, she called Sirius and we got our 1 year. We were dumbfounded. First of all, the Winnebago reps had no idea what a PASEO was !?!?! Then they had no idea what was included, even with me on the phone directing them to their own web site material and then having to send a copy of our build sheet. I don't even know what to say any more. I'm in my mid 60's and have never seen such pathetic baloney from a company I just spent a bundle on. Sorry for the rant ...
Old 11-09-2017, 07:54 AM   #14

What are any of them supposed to do? Good suppliers will have a backlog of orders they are scheduled to fill. Anybody who can deliver tomorrow is either a startup or the fellow who was dumped by his last customer probably because of quality. Startup's are a dice roll. Who do you order from if you are Cummins Onan?

Tags
onan