Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2016, 06:30 PM   #1

Building and selling homemade camper vans

Has anybody ever done it strictly for profit? I have a Ford Club wagon that I mildly outfitted for road tripping and stealth camping. Not a full blown Class B motorhome but just a few upgrades and a bed. Ive had several people complement it and said they'd love to have something like that. (but never ask if I'd sell it)
Is it just talk or is there truth it it?

I have access to a few wholesale auto auctions through work. They sell lots of vans every week at auction for pretty good prices. I figure I could buy and build a decent weekend camping van for anywhere from:

Buy and build for $1500-$2500 for a van from years 2000-2005,with about 140k-170k miles. Sell for $3000-$5000?

or

Buy and build for $3500-$6000 for a van from years 2005-2010, with about 70k-150k miles. Sell for $5000-$8000?

What would something like that sell for? I know a lot will vary based on what's in it. Basically bed and storage, house battery with charge isolater. TV-dvd player. Maybe a fridge and cabinets depending on what size van.

And more specifically, is there a market for that? Are people willing to pay less for camper van that's somewhat late model but not commercially built?
Bill n Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2016, 12:57 AM   #2

What kind of business insurance coverage are you going to carry.......first time a electric panel shorts out, DC burns thru insulation, fridge has issues etc. owners will be giving you grief and possibly suing.

Good luck with your endeavor.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 04:26 AM   #3

When I first read your post, I was wondering about compliance issues with converting vehicles.

I wouldn't know where to start to find out what you would need but I do recall a limousine company getting in trouble for not complying when they stretched them.

Seat belts, seat mounting, tire ratings, weight issues and a host of other things all come into play with a conversion.

MH builders have to certifiy what they did. That sticker is usually next to the chassis manufactures certification.

Just my thoughts
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:35 AM   #4

Two good valid points. Worth looking into. But I wonder... I dont plan on doing it as a business. More like a side hobby thing. Somebody that converts a street car to a race car and sells it as such obviously isn't a race car manufacturer. But
I see that done all the time.

I know that a van I would make will be safer and more reliable than some of the RVs I see for sale from the 70's and 80's that just scream "rolling fire hazard."
People buy and sell those all the time without any fear of liability

I think Ill do one. See if it has much appeal. If so, Ill look into legitimacy.
Bill n Karen is offline   Reply With Quote