Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:39 PM   #1

Question Caulk dry and cracking. Needs help

I noticed the caulking on my RV is looking pretty bad. Its cracking and dry. If I take my fingernail and run across the caulk it turns to powder. I've attached some pictures below. I'm not sure if I need to remove the old caulk or just clean it off and apply new caulk. I also need some advice on what type of caulk to use. The RV has painted aluminum siding.
thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_20150527_184218-657027319.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	95441   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_20150527_184210-494281753.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	95442  

Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_20150527_184120-890863030.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	95443  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2015, 06:56 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd scrape out all the cracked and loose caulk. Often a solvent can be used to help soften and remove the caulk, you'll have to check with manufacturer or experiment to find best solvent. Clean and prepare for applying a good, non-silicon caulk. You can use masking tape to keep edges sharp, a finger dipped in dish soap can be used to smooth and shape the caulk.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:42 PM   #3

Use a razor knife to cut along window frame but use a plastic putty knife to scrape it off the sides. Then use Paint Thinner to remove whatever doesn't get scraped off off. Paint Thinner is harmless to the bonded paint on aluminum siding. Practice on something else until you are comfortable making a nice and uniform bead then start on RV. I've never used dish soap but I use spit to gently smooth silicone out, water doesn't work.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:55 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
I would strongly recommend not to use silicone. It will fail and peel off, but you'll never get good caulk to stick to the silicone residue. In the '60's silicone was new and really touted as the 30 year caulk. I've never seen it last more than a season or two. During that time it will get dirt and dust stuck in it and start to come loose.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:40 PM   #5

I pretty much agree with not using Silicone but I haven't found anything else I really like. I also feel that Silicone has improved over the years too. I guess the key is to make sure all old silicone and putty tape residue is cleaned off. I myself have never had issues but it was very clean when I did it and it's stored in s Garage when not in use. So Cal summers are hot !
Old 06-02-2015, 03:09 PM   #6

use blue tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I'd scrape out all the cracked and loose caulk. Often a solvent can be used to help soften and remove the caulk, you'll have to check with manufacturer or experiment to find best solvent. Clean and prepare for applying a good, non-silicon caulk. You can use masking tape to keep edges sharp, a finger dipped in dish soap can be used to smooth and shape the caulk.
don't use the cheap masking tape, most of these could be hard to remove,

contact a good rv dealer for what type of caulking or the mfg.

Jim