Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:29 AM   #29

Small Class C instead?

Been looking for our first and been all over the map. We've looked at a lot of different options as we figure out what is best for us.

Have you looked at LazyDaze 24 twin king bed model? Back of coach has three big windows and two couches / twin beds that can become a king. A multipurpose room! Plus the cab over bed / storage space. OCCC is roughly 3100.

We hope this helps.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2016, 11:43 PM   #30

Love your blog but wish you would talk more about how you live out of a small RV. This is the exact model we are thinking of buying, but don't know how we could enjoy it for a month let alone full time! Please more stories of how you live and more about the solar panels please!

Old 05-11-2016, 12:37 AM   #31

We spent 9 months traveling in a 24' Winnebago View (sprinter) It was small but it worked for us. We had bikes, a kayak, and no towed car We usually arranged errands on the way to campgrounds then after we camped we mostly used our bikes to get around.

Pluses: we could park almost anywhere, stop on impulse at roadside farm stands or garage sales, stick to back roads and byways. We often parallel parked on the street in towns using two spaces and if there were meters we put money in both. We used two spaces at grocery store parking lots with no difficulty; one and a half was about the length we needed. We even stayed overnight , one time, at a fancy downtown hotel and parked in their parking garage.

Cons: 1) weight. We had 11,030lbs gvwr and maxed out our weight before we maxed out our storage areas. 2) space. This was not too bad but obviously there wasn't a lot. We were outside a lot and in bad weather we stayed indoors and I often used the bed as an extra seating area, my preferred reading spot. We had a booth dinette the seats of which were very comfortable,with gobs of storage under, but the table had to be desk/dining table/extra kitchen counter. We were constantly shifting stuff around.
3). Sometimes we missed having a car though we liked the freedom and short length of not towing

We loved it, had a blast, and overall it worked well for two adults, (and one cat for a while).

Eventually , we decided to get something bigger so we could have more storage.

We now have a 34' diesel pusher older with no slides

Pros: Lots of storage, huge bath area, washing machine, proper bedroom, cocktail/ laptop folding table as well as a dining table, plus a sofa. Tanks are large, 120 fresh, 105 gray, 54 black, Air suspension and leveling , retarder for mountain driving. So lots of improvements. We tow our SUV so have a car and it provides more storage.

Cons: mpg no surprise that that is poor. We can't fit into some of the National Forest/NP cgs we used to. Can't easily stop at unexpected roadside attractions. Less spontaneous in our traveling style now.

Like someone else said, there are trade offs. We still talk about our old View and miss its agility and fun. On the other hand, it's more comfortable living in our current dp.

One big thing is that if a small coach uses part/all of the "living room" as the bedroom it's pretty much essential to be on the same schedule. If there's two of you and one stays up late while the other goes early to bed and gets up early and there's just one multipurpose living/sleeping space then it will be difficult to make things work.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-11-2016, 11:27 PM   #32

So there has got be something that can be spontaneous and roomy too!? What would that be? Class C?
Old 06-18-2016, 04:11 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosman View Post
So there has got be something that can be spontaneous and roomy too!? What would that be? Class C?
That would be my pick for an in-between choice. That or a Class B+. Having owned A's, C's, and now a B, a short Class C seems to be a great compromise between them. I still prefer a B for the way I prefer to travel now, but it is tight for two (although awesome for one ).
Old 07-07-2016, 01:34 PM   #34

The biggest thing that I notice, not just in class B, but all RVs, is the lack of depth in the cabinets, and mistaken attempt to duplicate all of the items in a home, "just smaller".

It seems like the cabinets would be much more useful, especially in a class B, if 1/2 of the van width (one side) were cabinet depth, and 1/2 for aisle.

Another possible option is to consider using a top load washing machine as a multi purpose "wet utility item". Example, it could do multi duty as a sink, washing machine, shower (yes stand in it), even dirty clothes storage.

Set a clothes dryer and some cabinets next to the washing machine, and now you have a bed frame - just use a blow up bed instead of a dedicated mattress.

Bikes - leave those fastened to the outside or top.

Extra items - consider to rent some storage units at various locations that you want to travel to. Locally (which is not low cost) you can rent a 10 x 10 for less than $60 / month.

Maximize the use of the driver and passenger seats for other uses.

Consider to buy a sprinter with the extra high roof (even taller than the high roof). The extra vertical space could be useful.

Mount a big screen on the passenger side slider, and a camera on the outside. If you want to look out, turn the TV on. Use the solid walls of the door and walls to control temperature, security, and stealth.

Trailers are of course very handy, but at least in this area, it also reduces the maximum speed that you can go on the interstate highway system. Maybe that is an issue, maybe not.

Just some thoughts I have had on similar ideas of longer term use of a class B size, not sure how many are practical.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:56 PM   #35

i too am looking for the first time buy and my head is spinning a little. planning on full-timing i was originally looking at A's and C's but after research and discovering how abysmal the quality is, the nightmare lack of reliability and the endless problems due to poor quality construction, cheap materials and inferior parts in A's and C's (google rv industry death spiral, and also google "don't buy and rv lawyer" for an understanding of the real world vs the dream). Class b as i understand it have much better build quality and materials so i started looking at those. actual OSB for example instead of particle board and staples slapped together in 7 hours (how long it takes Jayco to manufacture a unit - and you wonder why they fall apart).

still trying to sort it out, but too many horror stories to go with an A or a C. if have to go that route i would just sit it out. the death spiral article gives an understanding why people, including full timers, are leaving the lifestyle in droves. good info there that i think is good to take into consideration.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:24 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by markloeb View Post
i too am looking for the first time buy and my head is spinning a little. planning on full-timing i was originally looking at A's and C's but after research and discovering how abysmal the quality is, the nightmare lack of reliability and the endless problems due to poor quality construction, cheap materials and inferior parts in A's and C's (google rv industry death spiral, and also google "don't buy and rv lawyer" for an understanding of the real world vs the dream). Class b as i understand it have much better build quality and materials so i started looking at those. actual OSB for example instead of particle board and staples slapped together in 7 hours (how long it takes Jayco to manufacture a unit - and you wonder why they fall apart).

still trying to sort it out, but too many horror stories to go with an A or a C. if have to go that route i would just sit it out. the death spiral article gives an understanding why people, including full timers, are leaving the lifestyle in droves. good info there that i think is good to take into consideration.
You are fooling yourself. For a given brand and model price point the material are essentially the same and the work goes down the same line. You can find a difference by brand, some of whom might only make B's.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:56 AM   #37

Quote:

You should take a step back and take a deep, cleansing breath. You have just articulated the biggest danger in reading these forums. Many, many people only use the forums as an aid in solving one issue or another. For every horror story there are great numbers of owners who are very happy and relatively trouble free. The reality is that people are not leaving the lifestyle in droves. Droves of new RVers join the ranks every year.

My wife and I have lived full time in a 40' DP for 9 years now and couldn't be happier. We have traveled about 70k nearly trouble free miles in that time in the same coach. I can't imagine full timing in a B for the sole reason of being scared of problems. That is a sure fire way to get dissatisfied & leave the lifestyle.

Decide on the size and type of coach you would really like to live and travel in. Then do some due diligence on some coaches that fit. Spend your $$$ on a high quality coach with good record. Buy used and get a first class inspection. Then get out & enjoy the life. It won't be trouble free but the good will far, far out weigh the bad.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:38 AM   #38

good to hear some positive feedback

good to hear about positive experiences. being new and semi retired i was really looking forward to making the move but you are right. the forums and articles i read put the fear of god in me. it was depressing actually as i was getting the impression i would have to give up the dream for practical reasons. thanks for the input. you've given me some hope.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:33 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
good to hear about positive experiences. being new and semi retired i was really looking forward to making the move but you are right. the forums and articles i read put the fear of god in me. it was depressing actually as i was getting the impression i would have to give up the dream for practical reasons. thanks for the input. you've given me some hope.
I bought a 1991 Airstream B Van new in '91. Kept it over 20 years and 145k miles. The longest trips were 22 days and much of that time was spent outside. We are now 20 months into full time in our 38', 2008 Bounder, DP with bath and a half and 3 slides. Plenty of room and amenities. No comparison between livability. No, its not high end but it is exactly what we were looking for.

I have spent the last week sleeping on the Queen Air hideabed in the living area recuperating from sinus surgery. My wife has had the bedroom to herself. I won't say it couldn't have been done in the B Van - but the half bath has been great and having 2 queen beds a god send. The washer / dryer keeps us out of laundry mats. This is home. The B Van was functional but not home.

We've had a few issues but nothing remotely approaches the fears you're allowing to creep into your thought processes. I'm curious to know why you think you want an RV in the first place??? You have glommed on to the most recent journalism decrying the worst of RVing and swallowed it hook line and sinker.

Nothing is perfect - infallible - break proof or indestructible. But I would add, there seems to be no limit to the amount of complaining and whining some RVers are capable of, and there isn't a steel ball bearing many of them could break twice. Get a big box of sea salt and take a gain or two with each thread, report, or complaint. Yes there are legitimate issues out there, but your job is learn and choose wisely.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:45 AM   #40

thank you for the comments. why an rv? i am semi retired and am attracted to the idea of not being planted somewhere. i like the thought of being able to live in different areas of the country/states when the i feel like it. i like the idea of having everything i own in a vehicle that i can take with me. i fondly remember my college days when everything i owned fit in my car. i feel antsy. i have itchy feet. the thought of buying a house in this part of the country - sw pa, se ohio is not appealing in the least even though it is a great area if one is going to settle into a brick and mortar. i remember being in the navy, sea duty was no picnic but i was always going somewhere, had something to look forward to. it was rather depressing when i left and ended up behind a desk. i still remember staring out the window at my desk thinking this is exactly where i will be 6 months from now, a year from now, years from now. it was a very depressing feeling. that is why i am interested in getting an rv.

i am by myself, with my dog and 2 cats. i don't think i would necessarily be a nomad per se, constantly on the road, zig zagging across the country but rather i see myself spending up to a month or 2 and then moving on, maybe spending the summer months in colorado and the nw, winters in southern california, nm the se.

i do not have the urge to say go "see" places per se and "see" the country. that is good and all as a side benefit but what really motivates me is the ability to move at will when i feel like it.

i hear you on the comfort of the space. that is very appealing.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:19 AM   #41

We had similar questions and ended up with a 35' fifth wheel. Easy to drive and easy to disconnect the truck to run errands. I'm not sure which states you plan to stay, but Oregon and Washington are very rv friendly and easy to park any size rv. California is the only state you have to be "stealthy." They're so anti-rv, I wish it wasn't my home state. Imo, 2 weeks isn't a long time to be in a small rv, but my observation is that people with small units spend more time outside in lawn chairs, so it depends on your lifestyle, too.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:26 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

??? I watched Class B's being built on the same line as Class A's and C's. The same staff was on the line.

IMO the difference in perceived quality is likely the amount of complexity that is involved with features and accessories in each model. We have had very few issues with the fit and finish of our coach.

You may wish to look at older well loved coaches to find the "one" for you.

Tags
full time