Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #1

Class B or Class A?

We are a couple trying to decide between a Class B plus or Class A. Any thoughts from experienced campers? Thanks!
Hoosier Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a lot of size difference between an A and a B class. The class C's are in between. Class B is like an over sized cargo van and easier to park and store. The A's are the buss style... a lot larger, heavier and take up more room for storage.

Best to rent one and try it out and you will quickly see what you like and dislike.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #3

this is kind of like the "boxers or briefs?" question....only you can choose what feels comfortable lol.

Class A's advantages: smoother, more stable ride, greater forward visibility, miles of storage, more floorplan options, towing capacity and a chassis that is purpose built for motorhomes, rather than a cutaway that was retrofitted to be one.

cons: taller clearance height, wide overhang over each wheel (so you take up more of the road), bigger wheels/tires normally, which is good until you have to replace a tire.... and it's no longer a van, so you don't feel as close and cozy in the cab going down the road, each with your own door...the driver's and passenger seats are miles apart. Another thing to get used to is that you're sitting on top of (or in front of, depending on the chassis) your wheels.

Class B is a van with a bed and sink. They are small. Even the biggest Class B is a lot shorter than the smallest Class A. Pros: It's easy to drive, park, maneuver and you can bring it anywhere. It can be more fuel efficient, and everything is compact and easy to keep clean. They often feel tighter and less rattly too, as they're still vans, not giant particle board & foam boxes. Cons: it's small, storage is very limited, it's often not as comfortable, you don't actually get a bathroom with a door. You can't stand up, depending on the model. And it does very much feel like you're sleeping in a van (not saying that's bad, but it is what it is). They often aren't cheap, so in many cases you can get a class C or small class A motorhome for the same price....and get more for your money.

Class Cs offer basically all that Class As do, only sometimes a little less of it. The ride isn't as smooth, they're not as roomy and there's less storage, but you get a traditional van cab with normal entry doors, so it's easy to get in and out of.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:50 AM   #4

We have owned several RV's, including 3 large diesel pusher Class A's and since last Jan, a Sprinter based Winnebago Class B (ERA). Every RV has it's tradeoffs and only you can decide what works for you. We totally enjoyed our large Class A's and our current Class B is also great. You really need to do your research, go to camper shows, talk to folks that own each style, visit dealers, etc. Take your time and THINK things through on how the RV will be used.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:01 AM   #5

We just sold a Class A to get a B+ so my wife would drive, but now are looking for a larger B+ with a queen bed. I loved the A, but DW wouldn't drive it. We also like the convenient size of the B+, but want one with the queen bed, so we are looking to sell for the second time in 4 months. Also, welcome to the forum.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:23 AM   #6

Go get inside a B and picture yourself in it for a day or so during a rainstorm. Check out the shower/toilet facilities as many are fairly tight. Now look and determine where you are going to store all the stuff you will want to take with you. B's are great for traveling, easy to drive, park them anywhere, and in some cases can be your second car, and won't need a second tow car.

Do the same for say a small 29/30 ft A. If you don't like driving the A class, check out a C class. Space matters.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #7

Also don't confuse a Class B with a B+. The B is an enlarged Van. Some B+ motor homes are larger than a Class C.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #8

I own both and just returned from a 6 week vacation in the Class B which is a Pleasure Way Excel TS. Being that Photography is my hobby I got tired of driving down the road only to see something I wanted to stop and photograph but couldn't because there usually wasn't anywhere to park my Class A and my Toad or for that matter a place to turn around. We both love our Class A and have owned one for over 30 years but for traveling and sight seeing you just can't beat the Class B. Once we got going we figured out how to co exist in a smaller space (showers included) and it wasn't a issue at all. The Pleasure Way has everything my Bounder has except a oven. It gets twice the mileage, and I can park in any space your car can park which makes it so darn easy to get around,shop, eat out,do laundry,and just to pull in and camp, the smaller holding tanks never were a issue either. I could go on and on but its what YOU want to do etc. We decided to keep both and use the Class A (stored in a garage) for trips that we will stay in one place longer and the Class B to sight see/travel and not stay in one place too long, but we can if we wanted to as its turned out to be everything we thought it would be and more ! I think if the Class B is your choice staying with the 'B' is better as parking anywhere was so worth it.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #9

those Class B bathrooms always made me laugh a little...they're interesting to say the least. We've had everything from a slide in truck camper and RoadTrek 190, all the way up to the 37ft Class A we have now.

Each serves a purpose. I agree that Class Bs are great for sight seeing and for those that do more driving than they do living in their motorhome. But we're basically compared a cozy apartment to a 3 bedroom house....there are pros and cons to each. Without knowing what your needs are, we really can't/shouldn't make a recommendation, in the event you get something that doesn't suit you folks
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The DW and I started off looking at Class B's and bought a 26' Class A with 1 slide. After 3 years the 26' got too crowded so we traded it for a 35' Class A with 3 slides which is fine for us by ourselves. When our son and granddaughter spent a week with us it got crowded.

Good Luck,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote