Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:37 AM   #1

Considering a Class B as a Toad and a bedroom

We were given the idea of towing a class B with a DP instead of a TT so we can have the extra sleeping and a car.

My teenage son would be using it as a separate space when we are parked.

He is only with us for 5 more years. That way we can get the floor plan we like in the MH and still have space for him. (we also have a 2 year old)

Which are 4/AWD?

How do you keep them warm in winter while sleeping?

What else could be a barrier (I know about length restrictions already)

Got a starter A-Frame and are loving the low commitment
ie2special is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2014, 10:03 AM   #2
Vintage RV Owners Club
They have a heater just like a type C does that runs on propane. Also a kitchen area and shower so they have a water heater too. He would have his own 'home' there with TV and all.... Don't know about the AWD/4 Wheel drive...

Martha (AKA RVM45), Bob, and Bess the Border collie
22'Honey Sportscruiser on a 1988 Ford Econoline.
Sometimes towing a powered Parachute.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:09 PM   #3
I use a Big Buddy heater in our Class B even though it has the thermostat controlled heating. That being said we never run any heat at night, we have what we need to never get cold at night. I think your biggest hurdle will be flat towing it. Most likely you will need a driveshaft dis-connect from Remco. I've put one on a Nissan 4x4 and it's works well.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:04 PM   #4
Not 4 wd but going with a VW Westfalia would be a neat toad and super easy as well as light, I chatted with a group heading up to Alaska that their rigs were lifted and looked pretty cool
Mitchyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:59 PM   #5
The VW westfalia is not 4WD, but can be towed flat. We tow our 1990 using a Falcon 2 tow system with the Invisibrake.

The VW is equipped with short power, kitchen cook space, and propane heater(although we have never used the heater). As for conveniences, parking is never a problem, can transport all kinds of stuff, 5 passenger capacity, and decent gas mileage.

Drawbacks would be the lack of shower/toilet.
2012 Itasca Sunstar 26P
1990 VW Vanagon (toad)
LadyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:35 PM   #6
Why do I have this crazy feeling you can do a conversion on these to 4wd?
Mitchyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:02 PM   #7
Originally Posted by Mitchyb View Post
Why do I have this crazy feeling you can do a conversion on these to 4wd?
My neighbor, who refurbished them and has five or six right now, says that they are available in Europe as 4WD. He wants to buy one there, vacation, then bring it here.
coupevilleDF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:56 PM   #8
Make sure the diesel pusher you get is rated to tow at least 8000-9000 lbs. Some of the smaller ones can only tow 5000 lbs.

Quigley does 4wd coversions for Ford and GM vans. Sportsmobile can have a new van drop shipped to Quigley and have the 4wd installed before it is sent to them for coversion. I'm not aware of anyone else offering AWD or 4wd anymore (Roadtrek did a factory AWD with the Chevy 2500 in the recent past).

You may have to disconnect the driveshaft on the van when you tow it.

rvhippo is offline   Reply With Quote