Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2017, 05:08 PM   #15

Keep your eyes peeled for a used RV, you can save a bundle over buying new. Even if you don't find your dream Roadtrek, get on the road and see the country, figure out what works for you/what you like/don't like.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2017, 07:19 PM   #16

First RV at 50.
PappyWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I agree even the used market prices on class B's is insane, so if you can't afford a nice used class B, take a look at small class A's in the 26-28 ft range.

I have a 2002 28 ft Safari Trek (actual bumper to ladder 29'6"), it was well updated and I paid just over $20,000 for it last year, in my 6 months of shopping before I bought I similar good condition 01-02 Treks, though perhaps without the various updates (400 watts solar, new carpet, new seating, etc.) sell for as little $15,000. Safari also made a similar 26 ft Trek, though the 26 ft models do tend to sell for a couple of thousand more than the 28's like mine, perhaps because they made fewer of them (they also have about half as much cargo capacity as my 28 ft).

You may think a class A is too big, but lets compare the dimensions of a 2002 Safari Trek 2430 vs a comparable 2014 Roadtrek (because it was the first brochure I found on a modern Roadtrek)

The Safari Trek 2430 is on a 157 inch wheel base Workhorse P32 chassis measures 26'10 long, is 11'1 high to the top of the air conditioner, and measures 98.5 inches wide not counting mirrors and awnings, interior headroom is 6'6".

A 2012 Roadtrek on the Sprinter Chassis RS Adventurous is on a 170 inch wheel base, measures 22'9" overall (so less overhang than most other brands) is 80 inches wide without mirrors, and is 9'7" tall with air conditioner.

Sure the Safari Trek is a little longer, but with the shorter wheel base, both can fit in many of the same parking spaces if one were to back in, and if there was a curb to overhang, with width is a bit wider, but no wider than some other class B's (Leisure travel vans makes a Sprinter based B+ that is 97.5 inches wide), height wise neither one is fitting in a parking garage or going through a fast food drive through, so the extra 18 inches does not make much difference, now with the Safari you can save about $40,000 gain a lot of usable space and cargo capacity, still have a nice interior with Corian counter tops, convection microwave, ....

There are other 26 ft Class A's I am just using the example I know.

I never thought of a class A. Thank you for the suggestion!
slothlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:27 PM   #18

Roadtrek does not need to be new...

it is well built on a typical van chassis made to go 300,000-400,000km... typical b class will have way less.

Bought my first RV a Roadtrek in 1999 it was a 1983 with like 100,000km drove it as our main vehicle for 2 years of university... put a rebuilt transmision in it ($350 for the 3 speed rebuilt!) and sold it for $8,000.

you can get a lower mileage roadtrek for under $15,000. any mechanic can give it a once over and van parts cheep end of parts.

You do not need money to live the dream. Now the family has a 1983 GMC Wide B class brougham with aluminum super frame with 6.2 diesel and now a NV4500 5 speed. It has 80,000miles on the chassis and parts are in every junk yard or parts store in north America in stock. Only broke once on a trip but managed to drive home 1600km on a broken flex plate....

RV-ing is only as expensive as you make it....
thedjjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:10 AM   #19

Hi,

at your age, I was still tenting it (for 30 years). Bought an A-liner trailer when I was 45 and loved it (100% hard walls, insulated, off the ground and dry). Happened to spot a used Class B RV (the one in my profile) and it was a deal I couldn't pass up so bought it and sold my A-liner.

The key, as others have stated, is to stay well within what you can afford. Nothing wrong with buying used but remember, with age comes standard wear and tear issues on both the living and vehicle portions of the RV. Repairing these will definitely cost $ - that's why you shouldn't save up to only buy an RV, save up to buy and maintain it. I also had no where to store the A-liner and had to fork over $800 - $1,000 per year in fees for storage.

I'm now looking at the RoadTrek Zion to purchase new but would have to trade-in both my existing RV and daily use SUV to afford it (plus the money in the Bank I saved for years and years). May pull the trigger this year or next for the Zion since I may need to save a touch more.

Cheers,

Steve
scubastevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:25 PM   #20

I bought a 2000 Roadtrek this year at age 65. How?....I worked a part time night/weekend job for 3 years, and put the money aside... every cent.

Finally I had enough dough to shell out $13,000 cash for a RT 190 Popular with 115,000 miles. I retire in about a year, and am starting to do a few modest shake down weekend campouts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadtrek_Driveway.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	166809  
gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:41 AM   #21

Not to bag too much on Adamsta... but.... spending 18 grand on upgrades (on a class A rig no less) is hardly a way to encourage a younger fellow without such means to enter the class B arena. Perhaps keep it light, with shopping or earning tips may be more useful.
gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:47 AM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I bought my first TT when I was 21. A used 16' of some type. Finally got my dream MH when I was 68, then the DW died the next year. Not sure yet if the dream MH is going to turn out to be a nightmare though!
But I can say that we didn't have any more fun in the very expensive rig than we did in the first TT's we had. In there was a 1988 Type B MH that we had for 10 years too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:45 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Slothlover --

Don't get depressed! Good things come to those who wait! If you haven't done so, consider looking at a Consignment Dealership for a pre-owned Class B motorhome (PPL Motorhomes in Houston is a good example of a consignment dealership). Consignment dealerships often have motorhomes priced well below "book" value as the current owners for one of many reasons are looking to "get out from under" their loans, quickly an "estate item" of a deceased family member, etc.

Motorhomes / RVs of any type are a family toy to be used for many memorable vacations / weekend adventures. When looking at the price of an RV that you will have for many years, compare the RV cost to several years of other types of vacations. For example, a seven day Caribbean cruise will cost $700-$900 per person. For a family of four, the cost of that cruise is $2800 - $360. This type of annual vacation will cost $30,000 - $40,000 over a ten year period. That $40,000 will purchase a 3-5 year old, good condition, 25' (+/-) Class C motorhome. And don't forget the interest rate for a motorhome loan is can be deducted from your Federal income taxes each year as a "second home". Often a motorhome loan can be structured for 15 or 20 years which make the monthly loan payment manageable.

Hope this helps! Go find that motorhome that will give wonderful, lasting memories for your family. You'll have regrets if you don't.....
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
I just bought a 1998 Dutch Star by Newmar. It's a diesel pusher, Cummins 6.8.3 on a Spartan chassis. I'm new at this too and as I am nearly 67, I'm pretty old to start out in the RV scene. BTW, I've already knocked over a mailbox with the DS! DW was upset with me. Relatively speaking, I didn't pay all that much for this DS. It LOOKS new?! So, it's more than possible for you to get the RV of your dreams. Just hope my health holds for a few more years.
God Bless my friend...I'm just a few years behind you and know what you mean! My mother always used to say "Enjoy what is before it isn't"!!!

A wise woman my dear ol' mom...miss her much!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:48 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by slothlover View Post
I'm happy for you guys with the class b's. I'm in my 40s and just don't see how I can get one anytime soon. Did any of you have to save up awhile before you purchased your dream van? I'm looking for some encouragement.

I'm 61 and recently retired after 36 years of working. We had been putting a little away every month for one big splurge when I retired. Bought a 2015 Pleasureway Lexor TS the year before I retired. Love the vehicle and the trips so far. My wife is planning to retire next year and we are really looking forward to hitting the back roads more than twice a year. Hang in there.
pkio3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:36 PM   #26

I love that you are analyzing the financial aspects of RV ownership. My advice: you can enjoy camping without spending a bunch of money, or going into a bunch of debt. I wish I had just gone out there sooner (in a tent, or whatever I could afford) and started enjoying the lifestyle instead of waiting until I could pay for a used travel trailer.

Glad I didn't borrow money to buy it, but wish I hadn't waited to camp until I had the trailer. Get out there and enjoy it however you can!

On edit: 2002 KZ Sportsman 2405 at age 36, 1996 Foretravel U295 36' at age 44.
bogeygolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:39 PM   #27

True... Get out and enjoy it... So of the best memories are the ones where you spend the less....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogeygolfer View Post
I love that you are analyzing the financial aspects of RV ownership. My advice: you can enjoy camping without spending a bunch of money, or going into a bunch of debt. I wish I had just gone out there sooner (in a tent, or whatever I could afford) and started enjoying the lifestyle instead of waiting until I could pay for a used travel trailer.

Glad I didn't borrow money to buy it, but wish I hadn't waited to camp until I had the trailer. Get out there and enjoy it however you can!
Adamsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:54 PM   #28

If you can turn a wrench buy an older unit that is in decent shape and you will have a lot more fun using it then a new one you can't afford.
Roy1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford