Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:36 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy1 View Post
If you can turn a wrench buy an older unit that is in decent shape and you will have a lot more fun using it then a new one you can't afford.
+1. Not to mention which, you'll develop new skills that you might end up using elsewhere in your life, maybe even to make wages. People who know how to maintain and repair RVs, especially Class Bs with their special challenges, are in high demand.

Interblog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2017, 10:56 AM   #30

Started with a tent. Then a van. Then a pop-up. Then pickup camper. then a Pleasure-way Plateau TS, the TS standing for too small. Now a Leisure Unity, a wonderful class B. Start by researching on rvtrader.com, or site such as this, where some units for sale signs are posted. You'll get there.

bsemonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:05 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by slothlover View Post
I'm happy for you guys with the class b's. I'm in my 40s and just don't see how I can get one anytime soon. Did any of you have to save up awhile before you purchased your dream van? I'm looking for some encouragement.

Don't give up. Bought my RT a few months ago thanks to a very SMALL gift when mom passed. At 63, this crazy Nonna went for it. Used is the way to go. Check out RV Trader, Craig's list and ebay. Just prior to my purchase, I was working out ways to hit the road in my Prius and also looking at really inexpensive - cheap vans. There are van dwellers who will help you with a build out. Lots of great YouTubers out there. See what they are doing and what they've done, and where the tribes meet up. Yes, people are out there in all kinds of vehicles, many on very limited means. Check out Cheaprvliving.com Lots to learn no matter your circumstances. Keep your dreams alive and get rolling. Start where you are - with what you've got. Wish I had done it waaaay sooner. Life is too short. There is no failure only lessons to be learned. Adventure on and Happy Travels!

Roadtrek '98D 170P 51K
VBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:50 AM   #32

Bought a Leisure Travel Van Unity used, with 9,000 miles, two years old. We were looking at another but it was sold in two days. The one we bought also sold in two days after illness forced them to sell. Not even had its first oil change. Canadian made RVs are usually considered the best, with fewest issues. This is the highest quality RV i've ever owned, with REAL wood cabinetry, etc. I advise anyone looking to purchase any trailer, or rv, to lurk at rvtravel.com for a while to get the gist of the state of the industry. Some of the units are not made very well due to piecework production. I also advise anyone looking to visit RV shows and compare. I also advise sitting in and comparing with great care. One RV for example, a Vilaggio, you could push the walls in and out with one finger. Pleasure-way units our size have little outside storage, for example. Also for example, go onto a facebook site like Leisure Travel Vans for sale, or something close to that. There are quite a few. Also, spots like retrader.com. But you MUST see these in person and compare for longer than 10 minutes. I'm taking being extremely picky, and comparing for hours. I began with a Ford van, then a popup camper. then a pickup camper purchased new. then a Pleasure-way small class B used. Then this. This is the only one I want, and will have. In my view, who cares about the "cost v use ratio, roI and all that crap as one engineer friend likes to do. It's about happiness. Not a spread sheet.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:15 AM   #33

Great topic, I see its a bit older but great discussion. Agree with many of the posts so far. If you wait for perfect it may never happen. Hopefully you're already out there enjoying it best you can. We're 38 with 14 and 15 year old kids. Don't make much, had kids young, I've got injuries etc. Tents, then our van with air mattress and then a 6x12 enclosed trailer with a.c. and fold down bed. Back to just the van and a tent again. Works well and is cheap fun. We hit mt biking events and camp along with local trips to springs etc in Florida for spring break. Used B or maybe C class is in the future, untill then we'll rock the passenger van and air mattress! Digging the new full size Transit. Would love to find a used one and set it up bare bones. We'll see.
pmooney179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #34

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmooney179 View Post
....Digging the new full size Transit. Would love to find a used one and set it up bare bones. We'll see.
I bought a left over 2016 Transit for cheap and we used it last year as our daytripper. Carried eveything inside bikes, cooler, change of clothes, portipottie and had a great time. High roof proved shade and we could duck inside if it started to rain. Great truck
Attached Images

n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:31 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by n-e-d View Post
I bought a left over 2016 Transit for cheap and we used it last year as our daytripper. Carried eveything inside bikes, cooler, change of clothes, portipottie and had a great time. High roof proved shade and we could duck inside if it started to rain. Great truck

Excellent! Glad to hear, that'll be one of our options depending on our goals. What engine is in yours? How has it been living with it? We're considering selling our house soon. Bit out of the ordinary but prices here sky rocketed recently. We've got a major toll road coming close and our little town is turning into a great place for commuters to big city. Two fold for us, not interested in staying among the growth and might as well cash out while its hot. If that happens we may rent briefly and buy a rig to live in. Buy property elsewhere later.
pmooney179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:28 AM   #36

Roadtrek depression

First of all, a little reality about Roadtrek depression! Roadtreks aren't worth getting depressed over. Quality is not the best. We visited the factory near Toronto a few years ago to see if they could outfit our Pleasure-way small platform with an outside tire rack. It couldn't. But we met someone here who'd been there four days. they were putting him up at a local motel. His entire ceiling in his E-trek had fallen down.
We now own a Leisure Unity. Top of the line. Zero issues. And unlike some units, lots and lots of exterior storage. One needs to spend HOURS inside to compare these units. We have. The Renegad Vilaggio, for example, has walls so flexible one can push them in with one finger. It pays to do your homework. Rest easy, depressed over Roadtrek, and be happy you haven't bought one. Meanwhile, peruse the used Leisures at spots like rv trader, or the FB site, Leisure travel vans for sale, or something like that. You will get what you paid for, unlike other units.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:57 AM   #37

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmooney179 View Post
Excellent! ....
The van has a 3.2L I5 diesel and we're getting 24mpg(summer). Not much weight in it yet hopefully will be doing more mods this spring. We werent necessarily looking for the diesel just kinda fell into it For the two of us its a convenient day tripper right now and after conversion it'll be a overnite, short duration camper. We have the 28' Class C for longer tripsGood Luck
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:29 PM   #38

You might want to consider another brand of Class B, Roadtreks are very low quality,
very poorly built for the price you pay for them.

If you don`t believe me, that`s fine. Do some online searching and watch some video reviews on youtube, and you will see the very poor build quality of the Roadtreks.
cobra 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:35 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by slothlover View Post
I'm happy for you guys with the class b's. I'm in my 40s and just don't see how I can get one anytime soon. Did any of you have to save up awhile before you purchased your dream van? I'm looking for some encouragement.
Here is an older one. Maybe overpriced.

1989 RoadTrek Versatile - $8999 (Delaware, Ohio)

https://columbus.craigslist.org/rvs/...612292259.html
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:09 PM   #40

We used a rent for years then a small single axel trailer then finally to a larger trailer.
We are now looking at a class b+
oldgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:06 AM   #41

Me Too

I am looking at an older (2001) RT 200, built on the Chevy chassis with the BIG motor.
Can anyone here speak to the differences in gas mileage between the more popular 318 or 350 and what appears to be 8.1 liter or 495 motor.

Thanks
STEVE
Old 06-26-2018, 06:30 AM   #42

ok, first question. why, would you ever want an 8.1 liter engine in a van so it gets 9 mpg, and you'll have to pay at least $100 each fill? IMO, it's all about saving money on the road, not spending it. Why do you need an 8.1-liter-powered van when a 350 does the job? You're not drag racing this thing!

second question: why would you want to drive a 17-year-old vehicle unless that's all you could afford? Think: maintenance. Unless of course, you get one like my engineer friend's PW Traverse, which was in nearly immaculate condition. That's a one-in-a-million find. Good luck.

Tags
ford