Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2018, 01:47 AM   #1

Diesel Engine Maintenance

Where do you get diesel engine maintenance and repairs? How difficult is it to find that in remote areas?
HJCihak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2018, 06:24 AM   #2

I usually repair by myself)
MadMax003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:14 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do the servicing yourself. Things are just bigger and more parts to service but not necessary harder. Was a new good challenge to learn but most stuff is in the service manual or on You Tube.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:29 AM   #4

Little Mechanical Aptitude

Would your advice to do it myself still apply given that, while I have carpentry skills, I've never done anything more complicated than changing the oil and the spark plugs on a gasoline engine and honestly wouldn't know other engine parts if asked to identify them?
Old 09-03-2018, 07:39 AM   #5

Some camping centers do engine service but charge an arm and a leg and hire the new guys. That big " Factory Trained " sign may have been a 4 hour course in the break room.

If there are any medium truck repair shops around, you could see if they will take it on.

There are also some mobile RV repair services.

I would trust them over the camping center shops because he can't afford to screw up, with out the corporate backing.

My thinking is that the sharpest guys see the potential of doing mobile work, on there own, and get away from the shops, with the large overhead.

You can also watch the mobile guy and pick his brain. You may learn what type of jobs you can handle next time.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:18 AM   #6

Diesel Doubts

I'm beginning to have real doubts about the wisdom of buying a diesel powered Class B. I can't help wondering what it might be like if I needed repairs while I was on the road far from home and without any local knowledge of who I could count on wherever I happened to be.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJCihak View Post
I'm beginning to have real doubts about the wisdom of buying a diesel powered Class B. I can't help wondering what it might be like if I needed repairs while I was on the road far from home and without any local knowledge of who I could count on wherever I happened to be.
With a class B did you buy a Mercedes diesel vehicle?

The only maintenance you will need to do is the fuel filter and oil filter with an oil change, also an air filter. The coolant should last between 50,000 and 100,000 miles, same as a gas engine. All engine repair should be done by a diesel mechanic who is familiar with Mercedes vehicles. There are no spark plugs just glow plugs but these are usually replaced around 100,000 miles. You may need to replace the timing belt, but this should be around 80,000 and 100,000 miles also.

We own two diesel vehicles one is the ISB 6.7L Cummins engine and the other is a VW 2.0L diesel engine vehicle. My Cummins has 118,000 miles on the engine and I have done all of my own routine maintenance and the VW has had it maintenance done by VW. Why VW? Because you need special service tools to replace the fuel filter and do oil changes. The fuel filter is change every two years and the oil is changed every 10,000 miles. So, it is not to bad in cost per mile.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:44 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Unless you are an amateur mechanic, why would you even want to do your own maintenance?

Lots of good RV repair shops, who do it every day... will do the job right and you will never wonder if you missed something they would have caught like a hose or belt that has a small crack.

When I travel, preventive maintenance is high on my list. When I am going on a long trip, I will swing buy my repair shop to have their mechanic give it a "once over" and notify me if they find a potential problem like a slow leak in the transmission cooler, or generator radiator.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:36 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2015 Mercedes Sprinter and the 3 year warranty is just over. I have made arrangements to have the routine annual service done by a highly qualified local auto servicenter which routinely does Diesel work. The nearest Mercedes certified shop is a Freightliner truck repair facility, over a hundred miles away over the mountains. I recently had front wheel alignment done at a local truck repair shop with excellent results. I do have my Diesel VW Passat serviced by the local VW dealer as it is one of the contentious vehicles about which there was so much publicity when their mechanics managed to outsmart the environmental purists and their carbon free endeavors.(they did get the last word, however,, in the fines, revisions and legal settlements). Shame that it all probably rings the death Nell of the Diesel auto engine. My
604eholston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:04 PM   #10

VW flat out cheated and lied on the emission testing.

Hard to say they outsmarted anyone given the tremendous damage financially and to their reputation.
knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:58 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by knit View Post
VW flat out cheated and lied on the emission testing.

Hard to say they outsmarted anyone given the tremendous damage financially and to their reputation.

My point, exactly. Thank you. Although, after all is said and done, VW is still the world's largest auto manufacturer. Hard to understand the amount of money they paid out.
604eholston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604eholston View Post
...I have made arrangements to have the routine annual service done by a highly qualified local auto servicenter which routinely does Diesel work.
When we are in Florida I have an MB dealer handy, but for the rest of the year I needed someone for the regular maintenance (my days of changing oil and filters on my engines stopped when I sold my boat a couple of years go). I stopped into a local garage that I noticed works on trucks and he said he would be happy to do whatever I needed on my Sprinter. As he said, they are all pretty much the same, just need to get the right parts.

When our house batteries stopped charging on our Class A when traveling though the Yukon I pulled into the first garage I saw. Next day, new relay, all fixed. A good mechanic just understands how things work.

Dave
Old 09-04-2018, 08:46 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Some camping centers do engine service but charge an arm and a leg and hire the new guys. That big " Factory Trained " sign may have been a 4 hour course in the break room.

If there are any medium truck repair shops around, you could see if they will take it on.

There are also some mobile RV repair services.

I would trust them over the camping center shops because he can't afford to screw up, with out the corporate backing.

My thinking is that the sharpest guys see the potential of doing mobile work, on there own, and get away from the shops, with the large overhead.

You can also watch the mobile guy and pick his brain. You may learn what type of jobs you can handle next time.
My son in law does mobile RV work. He refuses to work on mine as well as any other high end rigs due to their complexity. Too bad too as he only charges $85 an hour but lives 4 hours away.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:50 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Do the servicing yourself. Things are just bigger and more parts to service but not necessary harder. Was a new good challenge to learn but most stuff is in the service manual or on You Tube.
So, I can pull into a Wal*Mart, run in and buy 14 gallons of oil and a big drain pan, then change my oil in the parking lot? I know they don't handle filters for an ISX so I'd have to by them someplace else.
BTW. some years ago I did see exactly that happening. Older bus conversion doing an oil change in the parking lot of our (at that time) only Wal*Mart.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine, maintenance