Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2018, 03:06 PM   #1

DirecTV Now

I am trying to sort out this streaming stuff to enable me to get cable in our class B. We have DirecTV at home, but I believe that has nothing to do with this other service. I have unlimited data with Sprint for my iPhone and iPad.
My questions are these:
What additional equipment do I need? Some kind of receiver? HDMI cable?
Would I order from DirecTV Now or a company I buy equipment from?
Do the age or features of my tv matter? It is 3 years old, not a smart tv.
I know WiFi reception varies in campgrounds. But would my reception, for example, be the same as it is on my phone using WiFi?
While this may be the future, if campground signals are the force behind good or bad experience, am I better off just to pay more and get a satellite receiver and subscription?
TIA.
Nike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2018, 03:44 PM   #2

Directv Now

I use Directv Now and am pretty happy with it. I signed up for their service when it came out so I get their GO BIG package (100+ channels) for $36. and change. That was a introductory price and am grandfathered in as long as I keep the service. It works well in the RV BUT you need good phone service in addition to the unlimited data to be able to use it. I think most RV parks wifi will not handle it streaming as most frown on streaming on their park wifi.

Not sure how your Sprint service is where you camp but most people prefer either ATT or Verizon for decent service out in the places away from the interstates and major ciities where most campgrounds are.

If you have Direct satellite service you can probably get a reduced rate on the Directv Now service. Directv NOw has a 7 day test period that is free. Since you have satellite you may want to think about ATT phone plan since they are ALL ATT owned companies. If you have ATT cell service the data used to bring in Directv Now is NOT counted against your data useage. That's a big plus

All you need to get Directv Now into your tv is one of the following connected to a HDMI input on your TV
Amazon fire stick (or Fire TV box)
Apple TV box
Chromecast
Roku
Sometimes they offer a free device to hook up I for a Fire Stick free think maybe now they are offering ROKU.

You have to be able to cast from your phone to the device that is connected to your TV. If you have a hotspot with unlimted data then the wifi from the hotspot need to connect to the wifi of the tv device.

web site is www.directvnow.com (only on "t" in web address)
phones www.att.com

not affiliated with any of these companies
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:54 PM   #3

some more info

You do not need a smart tv for Directv Now. It needs to have HDMI inputs where you can plug one of the devices I mentioned above into it. You can buy your Firestick Roku Chromecast Apple TV anywhere you just have to add the app for Directv NOw to it. Also I believe they also have apps for your Ipad and phone as well if you need that.

Depending on your situation you could go satellite route since you have that in your house. Cost would be lot more to buy equipment than the Directv Now route. People use their existing plans between the house and RV and I think Direct offers a RV plan add on . I've read about it never used it

Presently I have 2 Firesticks in my RV one in bedroom and the other is connected to my matrix box which can feed either or both the outside tv and the tv in the living room

If you have questions pm me if you want
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:54 PM   #4

I've been using for a few weeks and really like it. I've got unlimited data so that helps. The cloud based DVR is the beta version and a little buggy but I'm sure they'll sort that out. Anything in the 5MBPS range means no buffering.
Direct has a few issues to work out but it works much better than the Dish anywhere app.
wjohnson913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:00 AM   #5

If you have DirecTV at home, your most cost effective route would be to use the apps for the channels you watch or use the DirecTV app. Many channels have an app that works on mobile phone and tablets as well as streaming devices such as a Roku.

For example, you can stream ESPN or HGTV in their app and you only have to provide your DirecTV credentials. Many channels provide a live stream or on demand content if you already have an active cable or satellite subscription.

There are apps for ESPN, HGTV, TNT, TBS, and FX just to name a few.

Keep in mind that many campgrounds have less than stellar Wifi and spotty cellular reception. That would be the biggest hurdle you need to overcome.

I do not have a cable or satellite subscription. We use Sling. It's less expensive than DirecTV Now and on you can also adjust your streaming speed to lower the quality if you don't have very fast internet service (which may be the case at a campground).

Hope this helps
markedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:35 PM   #6

Howdy!

We fulltime RV and drop our DTV and have been using DTV Now for the last six months. It saved us over a hundred dollars a month switching to DTV Now. We have no complaints about the serve and we have AT&T unlimited plus on our phones and tablets. Great thing is it works well even in our travels through Canada on our way to Alaska. We use Apple TV and Crome Cast to connect to our TV’s in the the RV.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:55 AM   #7

Thanks for taking the time to help me. I didn't know about the apps for all of those channels. ESPN, yes, but not the others. May use DTV Now.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:56 AM   #8

Thanks for the DTV Now endorsement. That may be my first solution.

Tags
directv