Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:28 PM   #1

Discount on Class B

I am aware that when you purchase a Class A motorhome, very often you can get a 27% discount.
In case of a Class B what would it be?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2014, 07:37 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Assuming you're talking about percentages off MSRP:
There's no formula really for either type. B's tend to sell closer to MSRP, though. Especially since so many of that type are factory direct sales rather than dealer-based.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:35 PM   #3

I would certainly like to know what is the dealer cost versus MSRP or what discount have you obtained when your purchased your Class B or even C.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:29 AM   #4

The margin is no different, but it varies a bit by brand.

It's just that there are far fewer B's out there, and the dealers have no trouble selling them. It's a hot segment right now - if we are talking about true B's (vans) and not B+/C's.

I got my van for $70k with a sticker of $86k. Some have reported paying $65k (but I think those folks also bought service plans and other high margin options). There were others on the lot, a few left overs (2013 Winnebago ERA & Pleasureway Plateau), marked down from $115k to $92k. I suppose a bit off those numbers could be had.

If you want the hottest model with the hottest floor plan, expect to pay up to 5% off. If you can settle for something sitting on a lot, a leftover, then you might get something for 25% off. It's really variable.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:10 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bought

When I bought my 1999 5th wheel, I was going to order, the dealer gave me his invoice price and the markup was 40%. I think it is still 40% or very close. I found when dealers put them ON SALE, they usually offer them at 20% off. Same for end of year. I would think you could get 20% at least.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:35 PM   #6

I'm also in the process of shopping for a Class B+. I'm new to motorhomes, but not RVing. (My husband and I fulltimed for years in a 5th wheel.)

Anyway, I had done hours of research and had come up with my own short list of Class B+'s. Leisure Travel Vans was at the top, so I requested quotes from three Midwest dealers. (LTV has a "build" section on its web site, so you're able to see the final MSRP of your MH, with the options you want added in.)

For new builds, LTV has an eight-month waiting period. I knew that going in, and the time frame would have worked well for me. And keep in mind that any dealer I was going to deal with would not have spent any time at all showing me motorhomes, answering questions, etc, etc. All they were going to have to do is take my money, place the order and show me how it works once it arrived.

Dealer "A" quoted a price of 11% off of the MSRP. (He also tried to scare me about service locations and why it was imperative I buy from him.)
Dealer "B" quoted a price of 10% off of the MSRP.
Dealer "C" asked me what I wanted to pay for it, so I gave him a price of 15% off of MSRP, as a starting point. I never heard from Dealer "C" again.

Once I had the two prices, I emailed Dealer "B" and told him the quote Dealer "A" had given me. I asked if he could beat that price. I never heard from Dealer "B" again.

I ultimately offered Dealer "A" 15% off of MSRP. After checking with his sales manager, he told me that I needed to come up another offer, somewhere between my 15% and his 11% off of MSRP. He did not make a counter offer himself. Dealer "A" never heard from ME again.

I should also mention that while doing my research, I flew to the Hershey RV show to compare units. I told one of the salesmen there (from a local PA dealership) that I was a serious buyer and asked if they had a unit I could test drive. He told me that I would have to BUY it first, and THEN I could drive it. He added that if I didn't like how it drove, they would take it back.

I told him "no thanks" and then ducked into the nearest RV and looked in the mirror. Nope, I DIDN'T have "Idiot" written across my forehead.

Class B's and B+'s are hot right now and that's really working against us. Unfortunately for the dealerships I tried to deal with, instead of having a slightly SMALLER profit, they are ending up with NO profit from me.

Wish I could be more help. Luckily, there are any number of little motorhomes that will work for me, so I'll eventually get back on the road again. Right now I'm looking at some factory direct units, eliminating the salesman. Good luck - to BOTH of us!
Old 09-28-2014, 07:12 PM   #7

As we are moving into the winter season, you might find some dealers a little more cooperative. They get pretty hungry in December, January and February - at least in the cold states.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbookgirl View Post
I should also mention that while doing my research, I flew to the Hershey RV show to compare units. I told one of the salesmen there (from a local PA dealership) that I was a serious buyer and asked if they had a unit I could test drive. He told me that I would have to BUY it first, and THEN I could drive it. He added that if I didn't like how it drove, they would take it back.

I told him "no thanks" and then ducked into the nearest RV and looked in the mirror. Nope, I DIDN'T have "Idiot" written across my forehead.
Well it might have been for insurance reasons. Insurance would probably cost too much to have on RV's as opposed to a normal car dealership. Not everyone can start RV'ing and drive them around, make turns, park, etc... I'm just guessing here though.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
As we are moving into the winter season, you might find some dealers a little more cooperative. They get pretty hungry in December, January and February - at least in the cold states.
You should probably add the words "in the north" to that. When i was in arizona over the summer, there were a ton of RV dealerships and tons of empty rv campgrounds. I asked a local "what gives", they said july was in the off season. Their peak season is in the winter, business is booming. Everyone goes towards the border in the winter. They get tons of canadians flocking to the area, it's an RV mecca down there in the winter.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggplaya View Post
You should probably add the words "in the north" to that. When i was in arizona over the summer, there were a ton of RV dealerships and tons of empty rv campgrounds. I asked a local "what gives", they said july was in the off season. Their peak season is in the winter, business is booming. Everyone goes towards the border in the winter. They get tons of canadians flocking to the area, it's an RV mecca down there in the winter.
You're right about that! We lived in Casa Grande AZ post military retirement and in the winter season we had RV's drag racing down the main road in town... Well maybe not, but there were a boat load of them! I did not mind as it was good for the economy. I miss living there... were it not that my child was young we'ed still be there... Best. Shorty sends...
Old 09-30-2014, 07:48 PM   #11

Uh oh didn't think of that. Maybe we'll wait to get ours then. It is very true, when you're looking at the smaller units, seems they don't want to bargain as much. Just the other day I saw 2014 B+ Winnebago Trend marked down low 70's, and their smaller B Travato marked down but was a couple grand more than their larger B+. When you go to MB diesels, I sometimes if you really hunt, can see the B+'s down some but the smaller diesel B versions don't seem to budge all that much.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:13 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjscotty View Post
....snip...
It is very true, when you're looking at the smaller units, seems they don't want to bargain as much.
......snip... .
Small is the new "big"!
Old 10-13-2014, 01:18 PM   #13

new Winne Travato owner

Just bought a new Travato sep 2014 for $80K out the door. Dealers don't want to budge on the B's price On the bright side, I had a lower antenna put on my travato, got total clearance below 9' and can park it in my Manufactured home car port here in Florida, no storage fees and it's undercover on concrete right outside my door. I use it as a second car at times. I suppose the real advantage of a true B is that it fits in a single parking space same as a full size dually PU truck while being fully self contained.
I'm 5'9" and my wife is 5'2" so the small size of the B is not an issue, and 19+ MPG gas is a real plus.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #14

Good luck with your new Travato. We went 2 weeks back to look at a red one that just came in, and by the time we drove (2 hours) to look at it, it was sold. They said they have a hard time keeping them on the lot. It's just the two of us, I'm 5'2" and my husband is 6'0". Still a little worried about tank sizes, but really love the idea of being able to go anywhere and it being very versatile.