Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:21 PM   #1

Smile Era 70C: Big Trip 2

Well, this thing is going pretty. We drove out to LA (not Lower Alabama) & pulled it right into the side yard behind the gate at our son's house. Plugged it in and had our own casita! Couldn't do that with the 40'DP!

Working well:
1) Driving through West Texas at 75mph and not getting blown over! Darn thing drives like our SUV. You can do much longer days in this as you're not fighting it all the time.
2) Keeping everything tucked away neat and tidy. Plenty of room for both of us and 50lbs of poodle once you know how.
3) Finally got the darn TV sound working right. It's hardly intuitive. Any 70C owner that wants to know can ping me.
4) That table in the hanging closet? The dealer told us "nobody uses it" but it works great! Stable and darn handy.
5) The electric system. We had a close call in a park with bad electric. Fried the inverter of the guy next to us, but our system just shut down exactly like it was designed to do. We moved to a different row, plugged in, and everything worked great.

Things I'm still figuring out:
1) The Alde heat system. Nice as it is, I don't think it was designed for really cold weather. Couldn't heat coach above 64 when outside temp fell below freezing. But the overhead heating element in the air conditioner worked great! Funny, the Alde is the primary system with the other noted to be "not a primary source" of heat. Yeah, right.
2) The track for the bathroom door fell completely off! It was held up with 1/4" screws, and it is a full wood door with mirror. There's a good design! I've not figured out what to do about it as longer screws will probably go right through the roof! I'm thinking rollers on the bottom. It might scratch the floor but that beats what I've got now. I'll ping Winnebago about it.
3) Bedding. We're using laid open sleeping bags as they pack small and easy, but they are so slippery that they keep sliding off in the night! What are other 70C users doing? And where are you storing bedding?

Sorry for length. This unit is working out much better than I thought it would.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2016, 08:44 AM   #2
jww

TexasSprinter,
Glad to hear your continued praises of the 70C!
We had a "test" run with ours this past weekend. Short trip (140 miles each way) to our weekend cabin in Arkansas. Have not stayed in it yet but the shakedown trip allowed me to fix a few rattle and squeaks.
I agree that the M.B. Chassis drives very comfortable.
Sorry to hear of the door track failure. I have a squeak in that area....where the wall at the drivers side of the door track meets the ceiling, so have been studying that area. Thinking of taking it apart to address the squeak so I might look at increasing the size of the track screws while I am at it. Accessing the screws on the passenger side of the track (between the shower and closet) could be a challenge!
We have not decided on bedding at this point. Still studying all products available.
Would like to learn about your setting the TV Sound. (jwhitsett@irs2.cc)
I agree with you on the table. Had heard it was unsteady also, but it is very steady and quite usable.
We are having the error banner on the Rand McNally unit, so plan to pursue that issue this week.
So far, we remain pleased with our choice.
Johnny

Old 01-05-2016, 08:56 AM   #3

GPS

Let me know how you fair with the Rand McNally thing. I get the same error and it says it needs an update, but I've yet to dig in to how to update it.

On the TV sound, there are multiple steps:
1) On the TV audio menu, turn OFF the TV speakers.
2) This gives you access to the previously grayed out menu item on the audio menu to set external audio output to 'variable' or 'fixed'. Set it to 'fixed'
3) On the Jensen stereo, select 'Aux 1'
4) Keep the 'Radio / TV' switch on 'Radio'. If you set it to 'TV' (at least on mine), you get nothing.

BTW, my TV / Radio switch was wired backwards, so I just took it out and turned it over. Still have not figured out what it actually does.

I got to this sequence by just trying everyone combination of things, changing one variable at a time. I knew things were not right when I couldn't get to the external audio output menu, so I started with the TV menus, then went to the stereo options.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:12 PM   #4
jww

Thanks for the info on the TV Sound.
Will try that this evening.
Wife contacted River Park yesterday and they advised of a download to update the Rand McNally software. Had to go to best buy and get a SD Card reader since our old computer does not have one. So, got the reader and followed the instructions given by River Park and re-installed the updated SD card. So far no error code, but only played with it for 30 minutes or so. Time will tell, but my impression of this unit is not very favorable at this time. But i'm a road atlas kind of guy anyway.
I see your from Kerrville........we have visited there several times over the years riding our motorcycles in the hill country. Stayed at BuckHorn. Great place!
Will appreciate your keeping me updated on your bathroom door issue. Looked at mine last night and thinking of adding some screws to the track.
Got our metal valve stems installed on the wheels this morning, so the upgrades continue.........
Old 01-07-2016, 06:11 AM   #5

We bought a good mattress pad and roll it up and keep it in the shower strapped off to the overhead bar, and we use regular bedding and 2 down pillows ( they roll up small ) and store everything over the bed, not that time consuming as I timed it and we can take everything down and put it away in 6 minutes. We had our rand Mcnally replaced shortly after purchase, haven't had any issues with sliding door, had a couple buttons added to headliner over cab to tighten this area up, worked fine. All in all we are still completely satisfied.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:54 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Niel & Carol Powers,
Not sure if you've done this, but the like your fridge, the Alde always looks for AC power. Try turning off the electric option in the thermostat settings and use only the propane for heat. I've noticed that when using AC, the system doesn't work well at all.
Steve.
Halebopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:33 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jww View Post
Thanks for the info on the TV Sound.
Will try that this evening.
Wife contacted River Park yesterday and they advised of a download to update the Rand McNally software. Had to go to best buy and get a SD Card reader since our old computer does not have one. So, got the reader and followed the instructions given by River Park and re-installed the updated SD card. So far no error code, but only played with it for 30 minutes or so. Time will tell, but my impression of this unit is not very favorable at this time. But i'm a road atlas kind of guy anyway.
I see your from Kerrville........we have visited there several times over the years riding our motorcycles in the hill country. Stayed at BuckHorn. Great place!
Will appreciate your keeping me updated on your bathroom door issue. Looked at mine last night and thinking of adding some screws to the track.
Got our metal valve stems installed on the wheels this morning, so the upgrades continue.........

If you have a smartphone use Google Maps. It also utilizes Waze (Google bought them) and does an excellent job re routing you for traffic.

Works better than any in-dash system I've seen.

Cheers!